Poll

What serversettings for mapcycle would you prefer ?

Only normandy, dislike Afrika
Mostly normandy, with a few afrika maps
half normandy, half afrika
mostly afrika with a few normandy maps
All afrika, I hate normandy !
I want all maps in mapcycle

Author Topic: What serversettings for mapcycle would you prefer ?  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
Re: What serversettings for mapcycle would you prefer ?
« Reply #15 on: 10-11-2009, 19:11:17 »
btw anyone ever tried pdh 32? its a 64 version with counterattack of the germans ;)
Yes, twas a bloodbath. And not the cool Dexter kind, more of the school in Chechnya type.

Germans could rarely if ever get past that first flag. Although once we did we almost broke the push coding with only 2 flags not being gray at one point.

Although I did have fun in the StuG, just the thing the 64 version needs as well :P
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10-11-2009, 19:11:31 »
btw anyone ever tried pdh 32? its a 64 version with counterattack of the germans ;)
Yup It's a great map

All Map.

Offline Roden

• Make war not love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-11-2009, 20:11:48 »
50/50 Normandy

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10-11-2009, 20:11:59 »
Every map in, please

I think this is how it starts and some maps NEVER get on any map cycle... EVERY map should be in I think, even the dreaded Arberdeen.

Democracy.. there is someone/ some people who like a particular map, it should get in. The devs put so much work into each and everyone of them. It'll be sad to see em shelved

I can understand the fear of losing players by putting in non-popular maps. After that round is over, I can assure you the server will peak back to its height again, so don't worry about that at all... Let's play a server with every map in

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10-11-2009, 20:11:55 »
All maps, please, otherwise I can't play my beloved Aberdeen ;D

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10-11-2009, 21:11:23 »
I voted 50/50. I like all maps, too, but this would mean 2/3 Africa and 1/3 Normandy, and I like 50/50 better. Which still means that one could put in all maps, only like this, for example:

Africa batch 1 (8 maps, 1-8)
Normandy (7 maps)
Africa batch 2 (8 maps, 9-16)
Normandy (7 maps)
back to
Africa batch 1 (8 maps, 1-8), etc.

This way you will play all maps, but with more variety than when you just put them in a chronological order, or another way in which you play them all 1 time before starting over the mapcycle.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10-11-2009, 21:11:15 »
I want all maps, but thought has to be put into which order they play.  For example, two Africa maps, then 1 Normandy, and repeat.  As well as balancing "Combined Arms" maps (Tank, Inf, and planes), with "Armored engagements" (mostly tanks, with some infantry), "Full Infantry" (obvious), and some of the other maps that seem to defy categorization.  Also, it would be best to vary the armies fighting as often as possible (for example, no US maps back to back, although trying to have no British vs German maps back to back might be difficult).  Hell, even alternating between Push and Conquest maps would be great.  It's a lot of work.  I spent a good 2 hours trying to categorize and organize just the 7 Normandy Maps into those criteria to change Armies, Assets, and style every map, and even then it wasn't perfect.  Triple that amount of maps and it gets harder and more time consuming.  Maybe some sort of community effort could cut down the amount of time and work needed to make a good rotation?

As for PdH 32, WOLF tried it for a while, but it quickly became apparent that it was way too tough for the Germans to even cap the first flag.  With 32 (or, at least as many attackers as you can muster, usually more than the Germans can get attacking together) Enemy soldiers on the (easily defended) flag, who spawn back into the flag zone when they respawn, it is very difficult to get in, even with decent teamwork.  If the US didn't respawn in or very close to the flag zone, it might be better.  On the other hand, I've also seen complaints that people expect to scale the cliffs when they see PdH come up, and are disappointed if they don't get to because this version doesn't have that aspect.

EDIT: Slayer's idea of "Doubling Down" on the Normandy maps is interesting.  Although, not many people will want to sit through 8 Africa maps to get the tender, sweet Normandy nougat center.  Done right, doubling down on Normandy could be a great idea, but not segregated like Slayer's idea.  More research, I say!
« Last Edit: 10-11-2009, 21:11:16 by Ionizer »

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10-11-2009, 21:11:36 »
I think at the moment it is quite fine having a 1:1 balance between normandy maps and africa maps to please the standard player. That does not necessarily mean you will have to discard some africa maps, as you could simply put in certain normandy maps twice.
And I agree with Ionizer, I think it's a good idea when the order the maps is chosen considering gameplay criteria.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10-11-2009, 21:11:51 »
Maybe some sort of community effort could cut down the amount of time and work needed to make a good rotation?

We should start with a short description of all maps. I'll start:

Bardia - Italy vs Aussies, conquest
Invasion of Crete - Germans vs Brits, conquest (airdrop)
Sidi Rezegh - ItaloGerman army vs Brits, conquest/reconquest
Siege of Giarabub - Italy vs Aussies, conquest
Siege of Tobruk - Germans vs Aussies, pushmode
The Battle for Sfakia - Germans vs Brits, conquest

Alam Halfa -  Germans vs Brits, pushmode
El Alamein - Germans vs Brits, conquest
Fall of Tobruk - Germans vs Brits, pushmode
Gazala - Germans vs Brits, conquest
Mersa Matruh - Germans vs Brits, conquest
Operation Aberdeen - Germans vs Brits, conquest
Operation Hyacinth - Italy vs Brits, conquest (32p objectivemode)
Operation Supercharge - Germans vs Brits, pushmode

Mareth Line - Germans vs Brits, pushmode
Tunis - Germans vs Brits, pushmode

Falaise Pocket - Germans vs Canucks, conquest
Lebisey - Germans vs Brits, pushmode
Operation Goodwood - Germans vs Brits, semi-pushmode
Operation Luttich - Germans vs US, conquest
Operation Totalize - Germans vs Canucks, conquest
Pointe du Hoc - Germans vs US, pushmode
Purple Heart Lane - Germans vs US, pushmode

OK, finished. Now make a nice mapcycle!

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10-11-2009, 22:11:08 »
Maybe some sort of community effort could cut down the amount of time and work needed to make a good rotation?

We should start with a short description of all maps. I'll start:

Bardia - Italy vs Aussies, conquest, Mostly Infantry, some armor, Italy on Defense
Invasion of Crete - Germans vs Brits, conquest (airdrop), Brits on defense, Axis has planes, Allies have light armor
Sidi Rezegh - ItaloGerman army vs Brits, conquest/reconquest, Both sides get significant armor while attacking
Siege of Giarabub - Italy vs Aussies, conquest, Italy on defense, Mostly Infantry, Aussies get some light armor
Siege of Tobruk - Germans vs Aussies, pushmode, Aussie on defense, Axis gets a lot of armor, Allies get more armor as they get pushed back
The Battle for Sfakia - Germans vs Brits, conquest, Brit on defense, Almost pure Inf battle, Allies get one light tank

Alam Halfa -  Germans vs Brits, pushmode, Brits on Defense, Armor and Air play big roles
El Alamein - Germans vs Brits, conquest, Complete Combined Arms battle
Fall of Tobruk - Germans vs Brits, pushmode, Brit on defense, Mostly Inf, Axis gets tank for initial push, Allies get light tanks to push back
Gazala - Germans vs Brits, conquest, Brit on Defense, Total Combined arms battle (Plus Cannon-cane)
Mersa Matruh - Germans vs Brits, conquest, Armored engagement, German get Air support, Inf plays a big role
Operation Aberdeen - Germans vs Brits, conquest, Armored Engagement
Operation Hyacinth - Italy vs Brits, conquest (32p objectivemode), Italy on defense, Pure Infantry
Operation Supercharge - Germans vs Brits, pushmode, German on defense, Combined Arms battle

Mareth Line - Germans vs Brits, pushmode, Germans on Defense, Combined Arms battle
Tunis - Germans vs Brits, pushmode, Germans on defense, Pure Infantry

Falaise Pocket - Germans vs Canucks, conquest, Canadians on Defense, Armored Engagement, Infantry plays big role
Lebisey - Germans vs Brits, pushmode, Germans on defense, Brits get armor, Axis eventually get armor to push back
Operation Goodwood - Germans vs Brits, semi-pushmode, Germans on defense, Armored Engagement, Inf plays a big part
Operation Luttich - Germans vs US, conquest, US on defense, Armored Engagement
Operation Totalize - Germans vs Canucks, conquest, Germans on defense, Total Combined Arms
Pointe du Hoc - Germans vs US, pushmode, Germans on defense, Pure Infantry
Purple Heart Lane - Germans vs US, pushmode, Germans on Defense, Pure Infantry

OK, finished. Now make a nice mapcycle!

I added some more stuff.

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #25 on: 10-11-2009, 22:11:38 »

Yeah, we tried it. But its badly balanced atm, as all Americans spawn inside the Farm-capzone, making it impossible to cap the first flag.
BtW: It´s the same with the 64p Version and the Germans holding the Farm.
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline M00SE

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10-11-2009, 22:11:44 »
I would like to see all the Normandy maps running added with Sfakia, Tunis, SoG, FoT  plus 3 or 4  other Africa maps spaced inbetween. The additional 4 maps should be swapped for 4 others each week.

The desert maps have been the backbone of the Mod from day one and need to have a place in the future.

I just feel that having to play through all the desert maps again in one day is a little monotonous having played them to death already from day one.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #27 on: 10-11-2009, 22:11:13 »
I voted for all maps - on the proviso that Aberdeen is never playing on the server when I'm on.

Offline Sotka

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11-11-2009, 08:11:20 »
I havent played aberdeen/siege of tobruk/bardia/halfa since normandy patch came out since they are not on any rotations:L

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-11-2009, 08:11:09 »
I havent played aberdeen/siege of tobruk/bardia/halfa since normandy patch came out since they are not on any rotations:L

So true...

Personally, I've only seen Gazala, Mareth, Fall of Tobruk and Tunis recently...and rarely

What will happen is that we'd play all the 'nicer' maps till we are tired of them, and that will be that for FH2.... and we'll start to sing 'when is the next patch'  all over again