Author Topic: Turkey and the Armenians  (Read 912 times)

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
Turkey and the Armenians
« on: 01-12-2009, 04:12:19 »
I was just wondering if anyone knew any info about the Turkish genocide against the Armenians in the nation. Why you ask? Well, it was mentioned in a book I read and briefly mentioned in history class, and I wanted to know more about, and this community is generally pretty knowledgeable on these things, and I also know there are a few Turks on this forum. I hope I don't offend anyone by asking this, but I was just curious about what had happened at that particular time.

Thanks,
            Desertfox

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
Re: Turkey and the Armenians
« Reply #1 on: 01-12-2009, 04:12:35 »
In the book The First World War by Martin Gilbert covers it.

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-12-2009, 04:12:50 »
thanks just reserved a copy from the library

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-12-2009, 04:12:17 »
Or tolga could tell you

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-12-2009, 05:12:00 »
Or tolga could tell you
well, if he notices the thread yes

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-12-2009, 13:12:12 »
You probably got that idea already, but in case you missed it, shameless copypasta from wikipedia. English wikipedia, that is, as I assume you don't read german, though the german literature list is far bigger. It was once in a while a bigger medial topic, e.g. because Turkeys position on this is one of the points that are contra-arguments in the discussion whether to let Turkey join the EU or not.
Notice the online sources!

# Akçam, Taner. A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility. New York: Metropolitan Books, 2006
# Balakian, Peter. The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America's Response. New York: HarperCollins, 2003.
# Dadrian, Vahakn, N. The History of the Armenian Genocide: Ethnic Conflict from the Balkans to Anatolia to the Caucasus Berghahn Books, 1995
# Fisk, Robert, The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East London: Alfred Knopf, 2005
# Lepsius, Johannes. Deutschland und Armenien 1914–1918, Sammlung diplomatischer Aktenstücke. Donat & Temmen Verlag, 1986
# Melson, Robert, Revolution and Genocide. On the Origins of the Armenian Genocide and the Holocaust, The University of Chicago Press, 1996
# Samantha Power, "A Problem from Hell": America and the Age of Genocide. Harper, 2003
# "Teaching the Armenian Genocide: Resources for Teachers, Students and Educators". The Armenian Genocide Resource Center (AGRC) of Northern California. http://www.teachgenocide.org/files/Resource%20Guide/Resource%20Guide%20Oct%202000%20update.pdf. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
# "The Armenian Genocide: A Bibliography". University of Michigan, Dearborn: Armenian Research Center. http://www.umd.umich.edu/dept/armenian/facts/gen_bib1.html. Retrieved January 16, 2009.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-12-2009, 22:12:24 »
It is an overview of the whole war, not the genocide, but he does talk about it in a couple chapters devoted to it.

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01-12-2009, 22:12:10 »
It is an overview of the whole war, not the genocide, but he does talk about it in a couple chapters devoted to it.
Yeah I figered

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-12-2009, 22:12:24 »
You probably got that idea already, but in case you missed it, shameless copypasta from wikipedia. English wikipedia, that is, as I assume you don't read german, though the german literature list is far bigger. It was once in a while a bigger medial topic, e.g. because Turkeys position on this is one of the points that are contra-arguments in the discussion whether to let Turkey join the EU or not.
Notice the online sources!

# Akçam, Taner. A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility. New York: Metropolitan Books, 2006
# Balakian, Peter. The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America's Response. New York: HarperCollins, 2003.
# Dadrian, Vahakn, N. The History of the Armenian Genocide: Ethnic Conflict from the Balkans to Anatolia to the Caucasus Berghahn Books, 1995
# Fisk, Robert, The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East London: Alfred Knopf, 2005
# Lepsius, Johannes. Deutschland und Armenien 1914–1918, Sammlung diplomatischer Aktenstücke. Donat & Temmen Verlag, 1986
# Melson, Robert, Revolution and Genocide. On the Origins of the Armenian Genocide and the Holocaust, The University of Chicago Press, 1996
# Samantha Power, "A Problem from Hell": America and the Age of Genocide. Harper, 2003
# "Teaching the Armenian Genocide: Resources for Teachers, Students and Educators". The Armenian Genocide Resource Center (AGRC) of Northern California. http://www.teachgenocide.org/files/Resource%20Guide/Resource%20Guide%20Oct%202000%20update.pdf. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
# "The Armenian Genocide: A Bibliography". University of Michigan, Dearborn: Armenian Research Center. http://www.umd.umich.edu/dept/armenian/facts/gen_bib1.html. Retrieved January 16, 2009.
Yeah, I just didn't want to hit wiki just yet, and no I can't read most German, but I am learning the language

Offline Tolga<3

• (No longer) terrorizing terrorists. :<
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-12-2009, 07:12:34 »
Konici Wa.

The summary would be like this.

The Armenian genocide was a response by the Ottoman Empire to the mass amount of Armenian attacks in the area known as 'Anatolia' which is basically everywhere but Istanbul in modern Turkey.

It all started in 1915 if im correct, the Armenians had made a deal with the Russians to attack the Ottoman Empire from within, crippling them, and in return the Armenians would get their own country when the Ottoman empire lost in WWI. It didnt work out so well, after attacks by the Armenians the Ottomans ordered that all Armenians be deported to the Syrian desert (which was still Ottoman territory at the time) during this deportation many Armenians died from disease, lack of water, lack of food etc (then again so did nearly 90% of Turks in Anatolia) this created what was called the Armenian genocide, a case where around 1.5 Armenians died while being deported to the Desert, some compare it to the Holocaust which is far from the truth because the Ottomans didnt porpusely try to kill them. These days the Armenian Genocide is recognized by 21 countries. The recognition has been rejected by many nations such as Sweden, Israel, UK, Spain, Norway, Finland etc.

Hope this helps a bit :D
Epilepsy is bad.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-12-2009, 07:12:19 »
Its kinda a grey line.  It WAS not planned to the extent that they were simply moving them, not actually trying a systematic massecre.  The Turks failed horrible in provided proper food and medical aid, but then the soldiers in the area and who were managing the move actually suffered similiar losses due to starvation and little medical treatment.

The problem is where you can say that it COULD have been the plan all along to do that, letting the die through neglect in the move.  That's where the genocide can be put.