Author Topic: Smaller maps?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline nysä

• View Profile
Smaller maps?
« on: 12-05-2016, 10:05:43 »
Alright, I've been a SP for numerous years and recently I decided to surrender to the online version as well. It's different and quite entertaining, but there seems to be a lot of big maps in the circulation.
Urban, close quarters combat is my thing, and I am just wondering if there are maps like Battle of Brest or Operation Luttich under development? I really miss the good olde Berlin, with in your face type of action. It's simple yet fun.

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
Re: Smaller maps?
« Reply #1 on: 13-05-2016, 10:05:10 »
I don't know Sadly, but i think that apart from the dreaded desert maps, most maps can cater to your likings if you know how to play your cards.  Most have a decent mix of terrain i find.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-05-2016, 11:05:20 »
Man I hate how everyone underestimates desert maps. They are different and require a different mindset.
They require coordination and cooperation of all branches: infantry, armor, artillery and air support.
They require patience on both the defender and attacker side.
They require people to think before acting, and not rush straight into the slaughterhouse.
They require clever use of smoke barrages and commander arty.
They often require sneaky tactics and wide flanking maneuvers.

Above all they require people who understand those points.

In my opinion they bring out both the best and the worst of the FH2 gameplay.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-05-2016, 13:05:11 »
I hear you and understand. Though personally I've never been "into" the early war period, so I am not familiar with such maps either.

Offline Not So Civil Engy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-05-2016, 15:05:59 »
I've really come to enjoy most of the desert maps.  They definitely require patience and different strategy.  Artillery is king in the desert for sure, so I do a lot of artillery spotting to cover an advance.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16-05-2016, 12:05:31 »
So this guy wants smaller maps, while this guy: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=20738.msg346662#msg346662 wants no "CS-maps" anymore. Kind of a pickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-05-2016, 16:05:41 »
To be 100% honest, I do not know why the DEVs still work on this mod.  I love FH2, but its future is limited because it is a niche mod, and appeals to a certain type of player.  As much as I love what you have created, it does bother me that you guys are devoting so much to game that will likely continue to decline.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-05-2016, 16:05:29 »
There is no decline actually. Player numbers have been relatively stable for years now. If anything, the low point of the mod was 2.15 when we got only 50 players on European peak hours for a while. Yesterday the 100p server was full for a bit, for comparison. Considering how old the mod is, that is pretty impressive.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-05-2016, 18:05:57 »
I guess my perspective may be skewed since I am a US player.  I only see a full server on the weekend, and with my wife coming of her weekend shift soon, my game time will be considerable less.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-05-2016, 18:05:40 »
NA is basically dead since 2.0.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-05-2016, 18:05:32 »

Probably because the original devs decided to go with Brits in Africa first. If the mod decided to focus on the Americans first there's a chance the NA community would still be there.

On the other hands the Americans seem to prefer "new and shiny" to "old and proven" probably because of their excess consumerism culture...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-05-2016, 19:05:26 »
I would like to argue against this, but can't.  American's seem to like run and gun games, especially on PS and Xbox.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17-05-2016, 20:05:47 »

Probably because the original devs decided to go with Brits in Africa first. If the mod decided to focus on the Americans first there's a chance the NA community would still be there.

On the other hands the Americans seem to prefer "new and shiny" to "old and proven" probably because of their excess consumerism culture...
I believe to reason for Africa first was that the amount of statics and detail needed on maps was much less, thus making it an easier start point for the first release.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Ronson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-05-2016, 00:05:11 »
I believe to reason for Africa first was that the amount of statics and detail needed on maps was much less, thus making it an easier start point for the first release.
It was, but that first release was disappointing for people coming straight from FH1 with its huge amount of theatres, maps, vehicles, weapons and pure fun. FH2 had a handful of wide open desert maps, anti-tank rifles as the AT class when we were used to fausts and zooks, no ships, barely any planes... FH2 was very dull in comparison to the original. And then it took a long, long time for new content to come. Almost all the people I used to play FH1 with got bored of FH2 quickly, NA and Euro alike. It killed the numbers and they mostly never came back. I was sick of playing the same few maps too by mid 2008 and ditched it for RO for a year or so but something drew me back to FH eventually.

Gaming has changed massively in the last few years though and I think that far from declining there's big potential for games like FH to grow now. A few years back you had to buy a copy of an outdated game to play it, and you couldn't demo FH before you spent your money on BF2. But now BF2 is free, FH2 has a slick updater and masses of polished content... just needs to be promoted to the right people and there could be many more players trying it out. Being niche can be a positive today in gaming, as long as the whole thing is free... people love free. There's still nothing of this quality where you can get 100 players blasting around a WW2 map - FH2 is in a league of its own.