Author Topic: EXPERIMENTAL AI SOLUTIONS FOR SP/COOP (Community effort)  (Read 61825 times)

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
Re: The Single Player Fan Project: Work to be done and feedback
« Reply #150 on: 22-08-2011, 14:08:23 »
I've got a big problem. One day (not sure if 2.3 or 2.4) I played FH2 (SP as always) and then suddenly, (IRC it was Brest) my team (allied) advanced further than I had ever witnessed. Usually it ends up in a stalemate at the Boulangerie, with the Flakposition still in German hands, so that was a big surprise, especially since I play with a high difficulty settings (manually set bot difficulty to 1.2 and ingame always on Expert; I didn't change the settings before that incident happened). Since then, my team ALWAYS advances extremely effective and totally pwns the enemy. that is sometimes quite frustrating, since on Siege of Tobruk for example, one would expect the axis to attack with full force and take trench for trench, bunker for bunker; since I play it with E.S.A.I. it's sometimes better, however in the last round I played on SoT, the Aussies prove to be so heroic, to hop out of the first line of defences and charge at the german main. I didn't continue the round, since I thought OMG, that's too retarded, and quit (actually the germans got plenty of kills, but the allies advanced nonetheless.) On Mareth Line with E.S.A.I. the allies just advanced into the city, taking Flag by flag on the way, and spwankilled the germans. I could continue that list forever!  :'(

Please help me with that one; I don't have a clue what could cause this!  ???

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 22-08-2011, 15:08:37 »
Hmmm.. asnyone using ESAI and have experienced this?

It has more to do with the commander orders I think, than the AI, because with ESAI, if I recall correctly, their orders on SoT is to defend. So attack is strange. And since I dont have ESAI enabled right now, I dunno.

Anyone?

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 22-08-2011, 16:08:29 »
Well, it happened on non-E.S.A.I. maps, too. It's like having Chuck Norris in my team, I can try to fail on purpose and I will still win. On Lebisey 64 E.S.A.I. I just overran the germans and waited till their tickets bled out for a while, encountering not too devastating resistance at all. Then I restarted the map per command and then it was a little harder a little closer to what it was before, however that's normal. If you restart a map the AI will always be alot harder than in the previous map, and thanks to E.S.A.I., the axis succesfully counterattacked, however, the Brits charged again and the germans lost with one flag or so under their control, and my (allied) team had still about 180 tickets left. On non E.S.A.I. maps I got pretty much the same going on, I encounter a truly skillful foe (regarding marksmenship and general behavior) that will loose the battle no matter what. A good example is brest again an hour ago I played that map again (no E.S.A.I.), and I was spawnkilling the german main, with the AI-controlled sherman and stuart finishing off anything that dared to move out of cover and the axis Flak 18 and Pz. IV. Ausf. H just got blown up as soon as they were manned. I really miss the old times when this map offered vivid QCB and required A LOT of skill to win. Regarding Tobruk, some bots just walk into the german waves of assault at one point, later they get driven back, sometimes an axis armoured column just breaks the lines of defence and caps part of the first and second line of defence, but still the Aussies win with a lot of tickets. On most maps, the advance is rather slow, but steady.
Thanks for trying to help me, I do really appreciate that.  :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 16-01-2012, 16:01:02 »
Challenges outstanding
1. Using smoke screen effectively against bots.
2. Better tank maneuvering around obstacles.
3. Better use of hand-grenade smoke by infantry
4. Use of flare guns without CTD on Hyacinth

New Challenges
1. Bots on arty using remote cam to aim and fire artillery with raised perspective appearing when no spot exists.
Tip, bots would have a more customized arty gun. It cant have switch-view.

2. Bots using kits not in the selection screen
Is this doable? Is there some way or some strand of Python code that can allow bots to spawn-select a flamethrower, a panzershrek, shotgun or drilling for instance?

3. Limiting bot preference for various kits.
We want most bots on the field to use rifles, irrespective of the threat, then their first logic telling them to go for engineer kit when they see a tank, not a bazooka, unless they are on NA maps, so that we dont have more bazoookas than MP will allow. The idea is to create a more realistic WWII in  SP.

The big one - Seriously badass shit
The ability to have a sniper vehicle, not unlike a static mg gun that is invisible to humans till entered by a bot (See that fan Normandy map and its lafettes in the trenches for more on this). Bots will appear exactly like a sniper with 360o rotation and possibility to elevate and lower the rifle and less deviation than normal rifles but with the same range. This vehicle will be a spawn vehicle that can be placed in the church towers and other locations where pick-up sniper kits exist currently. So bots can USE them too.
« Last Edit: 16-01-2012, 16:01:41 by djinn »

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 20-01-2012, 23:01:43 »
Djinn, among your challenges I don't see broken push-modes, ticket bleed and spawnpoints on all singleplayer maps (and AFAIK, on co-op maps too). Am I the only one who experience these problems? E.g. my Pointe du Hoc has spawnpoint between Bunker and Flak flags, which is accessible to Germans even if they loose all flags, and I can't spawn on Bunker, when I play for Americans.

I've made quick dirty fix, which repairs spawnpoints and ticket bleed on 28 singleplayer maps and those objective guns on Pointe du Hoc. I can publish fixed files here, if someone is interested.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #155 on: 21-01-2012, 00:01:29 »
Please try and make an issue for this here - http://code.google.com/p/forgotten-hope-singleplayer/ - and put a link to the files. That way the fix is recorded and won't get lost in the mix. This also helps the FH SP dev team as they know about this tracker.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 21-01-2012, 13:01:14 »
OK, I'll create issue tomorrow, if I survive friend's birthday party today :)

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 22-01-2012, 20:01:43 »
Well, here I am again. I decided to finally fix that issue that plagued me for months and has taken 90% of the fun out of FH2 for me. I will win every map except some like Eppeldorf, and even those are not impossible.
The enemy will shoot very accurate and effective, but can be pushed back easily. My favorite example is Brest. My team will capture all CP's And then assault the German base. before, there was no chance of even passing the boulangerie. Does anybody have any idea on how I could fix this? Any help is more than appreciated, for this really haunts me for more than half a year.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 22-01-2012, 22:01:43 »
you mean their super accuracy? Try reducing your AI skill from 100 or 90 to 80. 80 seems to be the best AI difficulty.l Also, for a map like Brest, 32 of 48 bots is enough.

You can have 64, but it becomes more of frag then seek and destroy.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 22-01-2012, 22:01:06 »
Thanks for your quick answer Djinn, but I meant the fact that I win maps no matter what I do, it's just a matter of time until my team starts assaulting the enemy base, since they captured all CP's. SoT is a joke, the axis soldiers can't even break through the first line of defence. They sometimes cap one outpost, but quickly lose it again and get massacred as soon as they cross the ridge that lies in front of their base.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 22-01-2012, 23:01:45 »
Balancing. Its no bug. Assaulting teams lose in SP.

What you CAN do is to change the ratio from 50:50 to have more attackers

I tend to prefer playing attacker anyway. Its more fun because the odds are stacked

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 28-01-2012, 18:01:51 »
Thanks for your quick reply Djinn,
but I'm afraid I didn't explain my problem well enough. The team for which I play always wins. On Brest for example I should lose as an American, since I am attempting to push jerry back to his base (I am an attacker), but I still win and take all CPs but the base. I can push back the enemy back as far as it is possible, no matter if I try hard or not. If I act more or less passive, the bots in my team still win. Now, since you don't seem to experience this problem, I wanted to ask if you could please upload your AI settings for me. That would be a great help, since I could try if those can fix my issue. Sorry for asking about the same problem over and over; I really don't want to annoy you  :P .

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 29-01-2012, 20:01:39 »
@Djinn and DJ Barney: I created issue with my fixes for singleplayer attached: http://code.google.com/p/forgotten-hope-singleplayer/issues/detail?id=51. Any comments and suggestions from the community are appreciated.

@ksl94 and Djinn: I've played several rounds on Brest with 64-72 bots and 0.85-0.95 AI skill and I can confirm, that this map is usually an easy ride for whatever team I play. I think, the problem (or at least part of it) lays in armor, both American and German. AI tankers spend half a round trying to get out of their main bases. Easy solution is to move tanks' spawners out of garages, but it won't fix slow navigation in town, so, ideally, navmeshes for vehicles should be modified also.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #163 on: 29-01-2012, 20:01:30 »
Gavrant,

Hi, I am the new FH2 SP dev. Thank you for making fixes and posting them in the tracker. I am actively watching it.

I will have more to say about this soon, but I want you guys to know the following:

1. Any fixes submitted to the tracker started by DJ Barney are candidates for inclusion in the official build

2. If the author of any such fixes wants to see their work in the official build, the fix must be documented. I need to know what was changed, why it was changed, and what, if any, multi player side effects the change may have.

without documentation it is nearly impossible to review material that may otherwise be suitable to go official.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 30-01-2012, 01:01:50 »
Well - I noticed one thing. currently there is an imbalance regarding the amount of soldiers on my team and the enemy team. I have 100 bots and bot ratio at 100 (can't go any higher than that without editing the files) and there are 53 bots in my team and 48 in the enemy team. How could I fix this?