Author Topic: Why did you choose your nickname?  (Read 15028 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you choose your nickname?
« Reply #30 on: 28-08-2009, 23:08:16 »
HOpefully you can.  Just never use 88 or 14:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=88

Nazi skinhead code for Heil Hitler. H being the 8th letter of the alphabet, therefore HH=88.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=14

A Neo-Nazi/White supremacist number. "14" refers to the 14 words, which are "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children". Often used in conjunction with 88.

Offline ZeroSen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28-08-2009, 23:08:57 »
Thanks, i've just changed it, maybe that was the reason why it seemed to me that people ignored me.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:39 »
Got the nickname in senior high/upper sixth form (or lukio in Finnish). Apparently, the teachers had difficulties (like officials etc. still have) spelling my real surname, so my friends jokingly started calling me with a bastardized version of it, supposedly more "spellable" in Finnish. Interestingly enough, my real name is genuinely Finnish, there's even an entire village with the similar name, it's just easy to get it wrong if you do not pay attention (wrong vowels and at wrong length).

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:00 »
The 8th alphabetic character is the "H". Thus 88 stands for HH sometimes. Though I believe that is only common in german languaged countries due to the strong prosecution of Nazi content.

On Topic: Gul Dukat lend me his name. I needed a name for LAN games with my friends and though I'm far from being as evil as Gul Dukat is, the claim to be evil towards my ingame rivals was the inspiration for this. This really comes with a portion of primordial irony.

However, Gul Dukat was too obvious to be used online, some outdated figure, causing people to refer to DS9. I cut off the "Gul" until I realized that there are some more "Dukat's" out there playing almost the same games than I do. For proper recognition I added some weird tags that didn't really help giving a clear identity.

Some time ago I fell back to the simple name "Dukat" without any tags as even the name "Dukat" became less and less hip due to the age of DS9.

However, nowadays it gives me new headaches again. People in the former eastern bloc flow the internet and bring their own knowledge of the term "Dukat". In croatia there was a creamery named Dukat which's downfall was considered as a result of globalization and Hedge Fonds, if I remember correctly.

And even more there is a city in siberia called "Dukat" which causes more and more russians to come over to me ingame asking whether I'm russian, and when they find the answer they usually walk off without ever saying a word again.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=62.549744&lon=155.550009&z=12.7&r=0&src=msl
« Last Edit: 29-08-2009, 00:08:08 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline pureperversions

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:39 »
i started to use pureheart whilst playing close combat 2 on the msn gaming zone, there was an admin with a similar name whom was great fun to haress and so i used pureheart to annoy them for a bit till someone pointed out im a pervert and in no way am i pure in heart, so i end up as pureperversions

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:38 »
I used to use Pomi as my nick alot (and still use in many places as its a nickname my friends tend to call me) when I didn't play many FPS games but then for Day of Defeat I changed it to Mokusaku. Moku is a kind of word for a recruit in army. Saku on the other is ordinary Finnish name (not my own, its Tomi) but you can also use it to mean German. So Mokusaku could mean something like German recruit in English. I know it doesn't make any sense but I liked the name and it has stuck with me ever since. :P

Offline ZeroSen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:42 »
The 8th alphabetic character is the "H". Thus 88 stands for HH sometimes. Though I believe that is only common in german languaged countries due to the strong prosecution of Nazi content.
I didn't even knew that, i'm from Portugal, anyway that's a nice nick you have, my new one i just looked to my avatar and it talked to me: "Use ZeroSen"?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:31 »
A lame one... DJINN is a play on my surname Djin.. I think it means genie somewhere in the world... MYDJINNY was what I called all my mail addresses, lke a play on mymail and the availability of a genie to deliver on demand... Don't ask, beats me too...

Ya, told ya it was lame

Offline ZeroSen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:46 »
Surelly there are worse like my ancient one...

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:02 »
Actually Dukat, the 88 and 14 thing is very common with the neo nazi groups out here in the USA as well.  You often see it scrawled into bathroom stalls and tiles :)

Offline Professor Anthrax

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:31 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TasElOFAojw

I Was trying to come up with a nickname for an FPS(vanilla BF1942 at the time) in which there'd be LOTS of killing. Just seemed like a natural  :D

Offline ZeroSen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29-08-2009, 00:08:23 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TasElOFAojw

I Was trying to come up with a nickname for an FPS(vanilla BF1942 at the time) in which there'd be LOTS of killing. Just seemed like a natural  :D
It's hillarious ;D What movie is this?

Offline Brewchief

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29-08-2009, 01:08:09 »

Offline ZeroSen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29-08-2009, 01:08:07 »
Thanks  ;D

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 29-08-2009, 02:08:23 »
My story is really really boring. And unimaginative.

Drew is my surname, and most of my friends refer to me as it. As for the G, well...thats my fathers initial  ::)

"A.Drew" doesnt have the same ring to it  ;)

For example, I wouldve got idiots calling me "Ah-Drew". As time progressed people just called me Drew online anyway, so its not a big deal  :P

The main reason for choosing that name was because it would be pretty unique, and also funnily enough it comes really close to the an AI bot name anyway  ;D I have been more than once been mistaken for an AI, especially when playing a bf1942/bf2 coop game.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.