Author Topic: Disappointing Player Numbers for FH2 in North America  (Read 20048 times)

Offline Professor Anthrax

• View Profile
Today marks three weeks that FH 2.2 has been out. This is the funnest mod....forget mod...this is the funnest GAME I've ever played(with the possible exception of FH1). But their don't seem to be many  others in North America who feel that way. Over the past three weeks there have typically been 2 occupied US servers(frequently three – especially toward the beginning of the release) at any one time during prime evening playing times. This doesn't seem like any more than we had within the first few weeks of the 2.15 release. And if this is where it's at NOW with the initial release excitement still not fully worn off, I can only assume that in another month or so it will be back to just the occasional WaW Saturday campaign and Wolf FH2 Thursdays again; like the past several months with 2.15.

What happened? I thought Normandy was supposed to bring in droves of US players because the US army was FINALLY in the game. I know the mod had unfortunate release timing(just as the younger crowd were going back to school), but that doesn't seem to have upset the player numbers in Europe(I'm assuming school in Europe starts approximately around the same time as in the States?).

So what is it? Are we Americans just not as into mods? Do we change video games more quickly and so fewer Americans even have BF2 anymore? Do our students get more homework then European students so they just don't have time for this? Are we too fat and lazy to download a couple gigabytes of code that transforms BF2 into something wonderful?

I'm happy for you folks in Europe but I was really hoping Normandy would be a turning point for a permanent sustained US player base for this mod. But I can only assume that over time(as has happened with EVERY release) some players will drift off. It just doesn't seem all that likely that in 1-2 months there will still be 2-3 occupied US public FH2 servers each night if that's all there is now.

I know this is in NO WAY the devs fault. They produced an AWESOME mod and all people have to do to enjoy it is download and install it(hell, they even started a north american server...that rahn's whatever server, right after release). I guess I believed in all the pre-normandy hype on this forum and what it would do for the player base(particularly the US playerbase) and so I am kind of disappointed. I'm sure I'll still be able to catch games here and there over time; it's just unfortunate that such a well made and fun mod is not being enjoyed by more over on this side of the Atlantic.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointing Player Numbers for FH2 in North America
« Reply #1 on: 27-09-2009, 01:09:07 »
Yea I think a lot of it comes down to the level of consumerism in the US. People switch games so quickly... something last year is "old". Americans seemingly aren't mod people (on the whole) as much as they used to be. It's proves an interesting point, though -- regardless of the quality of the mod, it can still not be wildly popular.

I'm reminded of a study conducted in Washington DC by the Washington Post. Joshua Bell, world renowned violinist and headliner of COUNTLESS block buster albums of classical and movie scores, decided to take part in this study which was designed to gauge the average American's ability to identify high culture. Bell took out his violin in a Washing DC Subway and proceeded to play several violin masterpieces from memory -- a true virtuoso. While he did this, not ONE person stopped to listen in the span of the study!

Here's the vid from the study, demonstrating this... truly depressing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnOPu0_YWhw

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-09-2009, 02:09:59 »
"A game? For free... hmmm... aha! Nice try Obama!"

/thick texan accent

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-09-2009, 02:09:47 »
Off Topic

Its DC during the early Rush hour; for 47 minutes what do you expect?
---------------------------------
On topic
Just need to spread the Word to more mainstream outlets of gaming news.
FH2 T-shirts.........

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-09-2009, 02:09:30 »
 I think you are over-reacting Anthy,

Numbers are strong and the gameplay is tight but most notably for us North American gamers is the fact that there is a game going 24 hours a day for us.

In the dark days before Normandy, the NA numbers were so weak that even HSlan would empty out in our evening times (well before I got a chance to play quite often, I actually started playing FH1 again to fill the gap).Personally, i think the numbers are great and will only continue to increase as each patch brings new attention to this mod.

Wrt American playermodels, patriotism does bring in new players but so do the marquee maps which have yet to make an appearance. (Of course i speak of Omaha and other highly anticipated maps)

All things considered, I feel that the course is strong for the mod in the NA gaming audience but it is incumbent upon us to stop populating the Euro servers when there appears to be a NA server trying to start up. From my experiences, at the right time of day, all it takes is 10 or so players to start the snowball rolling towards a larger server population. By populating these closer servers, we also give our fellow gamers (who prefer a lower ping) the chance to get online.

tell your friends, tell a gaming forum, get your clan to play FH, write to game reviewers... we have so many ways to keep building this mods audience
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-09-2009, 04:09:36 »
Off Topic

Its DC during the early Rush hour; for 47 minutes what do you expect?
---------------------------------
On topic
Just need to spread the Word to more mainstream outlets of gaming news.
FH2 T-shirts.........
But the point is, I think he could be there for 3 hours and it wouldn't matter. Americans are so disconnected from high culture it's sickening... I know from experience as a musician myself.

Relating this back to FH2, your average person wouldn't know or respect top quality material if it smacked them in the face. The trend in gaming today has increasingly become "Buy a game, beat it, buy a new game." Mods simply don't fit into that model very well.

Project Reality, in my opinion, has more players because it released its very first version alot sooner and got its foot in the door before most people moved on to other games. Project Reality began as a mini-mod and thus first released a tiny amount of "new" content -- but most of it originally consisted of small tweaks. FH2 is a total conversion and didn't have this luxury. It's rough to join the scene late and I think its inevitable that we see these low numbers.

I think FH2 will actually get more players in the long run. What makes people love FH1 is its variety. Once FH2 approaches that level of variety of content, I think we'll see a very permanent and loyal (small) community in the long run. Even more so than we have now.
« Last Edit: 27-09-2009, 04:09:06 by Hockeywarrior »

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-09-2009, 05:09:48 »
I dunno what exactly cause this. But i have slightly different opinion.

I've seen a kind of debating article between two gamers at Gamersradar.com about the recent Call of Duty games. The previous one is CoD4: Modern Warfare and the last one is CoD5: World at War. It seems that the one defending the CoD4: MW get more support from the audience.

The defendants think that the WW2 is old, overrated, depicted too many times in game (as many FH2 fans said towards Normandy/American theaters), and almost irrelevant today. They wanted to know what it is like in the military today, which turned out to surprise them big time when CoD4: MW are out. Kinda a shock therapy for those military junkie-wannabe gamers out there. It is about us (our era), and them (our grandparents' era).
The opponent's only good argument is that "the originality of CoD series" (being a WW2-themed games) and apparently the additional game features (coop mode for MP).

I think when the Project Reality came up, they get the benefit from this paradigm shift. While FH is regarded as already "old and tired" subject.

Offline WWIIOLGeorgH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-09-2009, 05:09:10 »
The defendants think that the WW2 is old, overrated, depicted too many times in game (as many FH2 fans said towards Normandy/American theaters), and almost irrelevant today.

Wait, Juno Beach has americans? Where did all of those Enfields and Stens come from?

Damn, this must be an alternate history game.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-09-2009, 06:09:21 »
Dunno sir, but i think Lebisey, Totalize, and several other Normandy maps don't have Americans too.

On topic. The trend is, shifting.

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #10 on: 27-09-2009, 11:09:39 »
1. Promotion, promotion, promotion. FH needs to be talked about more. Like has been said before: write your congressman favourite magazine. Many have dedicated sections for mods anymore. Blog about it. Tweet about it. Facebook status about it (Join the group? Just checked it: there are three groups, one of them is locked with no activity, other 2 is not organized that well.). Talk on the forums (Ask if there are any FH players in this-and-that town/university. Some shall inquire what is FH, you tell them, some of these shall join the ranks.). Advertise something like “Normandy weekend on such-and-such server”.

2. Stats. People can say all they want about detrimental effects of stat keeping, but I think positive aspects of it far outweigh any negative arguments for the purpose of keeping sustained player base. Call me a statwhore, but I love me some of them stats. And so are thousands of players who keep populating BF2 servers nigh 5 years after its release (you’d think they’ve seen it all already).

FH2 stat system should be coming out on the heels of 2.2 release. As I understand, client-side already has it included, they just still working on the stats server (if my sig worked half the time, you’d see it’s not half-bad already).

3. As much as some people like to disrespect vanilla BF2, touting FH’s relation to the franchise is important. Battlefield series were always the first in the door to gain popularity as massive multiplayer all-out combat experience. When 1942 came out there were no other game like that. I’ve recently revisited it to realise how pathetic that thing was, yet we had tons and tons of fun.

The mods built up on that, then the next games built up on those mods (DC to BF2, anyone?) and so on. We see features evolve, we see features migrate, but the core concept is still there, whether you play 2142, FH2, PR or Pirates (I’ve just tried it out yesterday, that thing is actually quite nice.).

4. Yes, some people are getting tired of revisiting WW2 time and time again. I’ve actually heard the same argument from my brother, yet he was still interested in many neat features FH2 has. Say what you will, but people shall still play WW2 games for ages to come.

Some of it purely for technology advancement reasons. Sure, CoD was nice, but CoD2 was almost cinematic in its experience (I finished on Xbox360 while back, now I’m replaying it on PC with cranked up surround sound — boy, is that thing awesome?!).

Some of it just because it offers different gameplay from modern-based shooters. Less technology, more manpower. That’s why people keep playing WW2 shooters, fantasy RPGs and historical medieval strategies like Total War series.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-09-2009, 12:09:04 »
Lol, the "originality" of the CoD series. Always makes me laugh, as the originality has vanished after the first one. Similar to the FIFA fanboys, recently discovered a pcgame-forum-thread "Pes10 vs. Fifa10" with hundreds of fanboys saying everything whod think PES to be better would be a blatant idiot. Now yesterday I've read a review of FIFA10, and...

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-09-2009, 13:09:48 »
as the originality has vanished after the first one.

I think everybody that argues about originality in many series lost on this one.

When 1942 came out there were no other game like that. I’ve recently revisited it to realise how pathetic that thing was, yet we had tons and tons of fun.

BF1942 to FH0.67 (the first version of FH that i discovered) was quite a big jump. Tons of new contents
BF2 to first FH2 releases was a jump, but not that great. Mesmerizing for about a moment, then get bored... honestly. Probably because i'm not so into the same theatre all over, or just wanting a little more variety.
FH2 latest releases (2.2) makes the difference. BF1942 was quite inferior in graphical presentation tcompared to any other FPS games at that time like MoH and CoD. But FH2 Normandy put BF2 in the other league... it is clearly superior in all aspects.
FH 0.7 to FH 2.2 is a huge gap. As a player, you have more power in BF2 than in BF1942. But as a modder, well...

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-09-2009, 14:09:22 »
I have to put some of the blame on our current tournament too for the loss of Veteran players. The WAW Tourny is so boring and stale at the moment that a lot of Veteran players are leaving the game, and have grown tired of FH2, I myself am beginning to sway that direction, even if I've played FH now since its first release.

But then again the same is true for Public Servers, for some reason I can't play FH2 like I could FH1 and have fun for hours, I get bored after only a few and log off either frustrated or tired. That's not the same feeling I got when FH1 was being played. I always left the servers happy and laughing, and played for much longer periods of time. I'm beginning to feel this with all BF2 mods and vBF2, for some reason the game is frustrating rather than fun, and up until recently (with the release of 1943 on the consoles) I was unable to have fun in a Battlefield game or mod. Battlefield 1943 did change that, because it was an excellent remake of an old series, and I pray that when it is released with BF:BC2 on PC that the Frostbite Engine will have the technology to get the mods back out there and fun as ever.

I also think that the number of PC gamers is slowly sliding off a cliff. Consoles are the  big money makers now, and games on the consoles get much more publicity from the world. This is probably because of the balance and guarantee that a console brings a consumer. No longer do they have to worry about what tech they have, nor do they have to worry that the $60 dollars they just spent was wasted because the game won't run on the PC. The most foremost change is the death of great series, Total War recently released Empire, and because of SEGA's financial problems it is stuck in a rut that it will probably never return from, the Total War series is dying. With no release of a true Battlefield 1942 sequel on the PC for more than 7 years, this series is taking a big hit in players because all of the fans of 1942 have either grown up or moved onto other games.

Perhaps we should face the fact, the age of the PC gamer is coming to an end.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-09-2009, 14:09:57 »
Oh yes, the sky is falling! Again!
Let mortal heroes sing your fame