Author Topic: Help a Dev  (Read 1380 times)

azreal

Help a Dev
« on: 07-04-2010, 19:04:46 »
go my hordes of computer nerds!!

Hello all. Need some help ASAP. Basically, last night my computer decided to randomly get rid of some necessary DLL files that winXP needs to run. So I booted from disc, repaired the install, and everything went fine until...! Its now asking for my CD key. Which I cannot find/remember. So until I do, here's my question.

If/when I have to do a full re-install of WinXP, is it possible to first boot to DOS, and use some sort of command to copy files off my C:/ drive to my external G:/ drive? This would be stuff like maps, pictures, ect. ect.

EDIT: oh and btw, until I can fix this problem, no news updates. That should be enough to egg you all along.

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
Re: Help a Dev
« Reply #1 on: 07-04-2010, 20:04:48 »

Hello all. Need some help ASAP. Basically, last night my computer decided to randomly get rid of some necessary DLL files that winXP needs to run. So I booted from disc, repaired the install, and everything went fine until...! Its now asking for my CD key. Which I cannot find/remember. So until I do, here's my question.

If/when I have to do a full re-install of WinXP, is it possible to first boot to DOS, and use some sort of command to copy files off my C:/ drive to my external G:/ drive? This would be stuff like maps, pictures, ect. ect.

EDIT: oh and btw, until I can fix this problem, no news updates. That should be enough to egg you all along.

Hmm there probably is but I think google would be a better answer. Do you need help getting a copy of Windows? I love 7 and would never go back. Plus you can torrent any windows you want.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-04-2010, 06:04:30 »

Not to worry, you have 30 days to activate Windows XP iirc. That should give you enough time to find it.

No iirc it isn't possible, try rigging up your harddisk with another PC and copy the files off from there, or in case that option is not available, try downloading a linux version which is bootable from cd and copy the files to a DVD or external drive.

Be sure to make an extra partition for your data files when you go for a fresh install! It helps so much when your OS decides to go fishing without you!

DAMN you! ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-04-2010, 09:04:30 »
yeah you should get 30 day "trial" time until windows will say "NO"

and even worst case get a linux live CD like knoppix and boot from that to get your data.

or you could boot from DOS floppy to copy your data, but i m not sure if DOS supports external USB drives  ;)
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-04-2010, 14:04:26 »
You can start windows with only the dos prompt, but it's better if you explain why you want to do that.
If you want secure your documents do it now.

If you just want XP to run hack the WGA, since you have got a legal copy you conscience won't bother you  ;)

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-04-2010, 14:04:14 »
haha, to me developers are like the PC equivalent of Gandalf. You know, the know-it-all guys doing all kinds of stuff on/in/with computers I couldn't possible understand. So a dev asking for help simply doesn't compute. ;) Sorry mate, hope these other guys can help you out. Good luck!
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

azreal

« Reply #6 on: 09-04-2010, 04:04:19 »
No, no, no. Lemme explain it better. My OS is missing a core file, so I can't boot it up really at all. I'm stuck at the "welcome area" of re-installing/repairing XP.

Offline Frnz.nl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-04-2010, 12:04:21 »
Sounds like your registry files went corrupt.. This is the place where your Windows key is stored among other critical settings for your system.

As I understand it, the recovery disk replaced all those files with the new default ones. Thus you lost a lot of Windows settings (including your Windows key).

I'm afraid you had to make a backup of what was left of it, as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

Your best chances at this point is finding your key, maybe even an illegal one to access your system again and see if it still works fine. Good chance it doesn't, good chance it does. (It is possible to change your key after installation, a bit of a hassle though)

If it works fine, consider yourself lucky. Otherwise you might need a complete reinstall.

If you want to make a backup of your files in advance your best option is using a Linux live cd, every major distribution has one. The DOS on your recovery disk doesn't support external USB drives if I'm correct.

And guys, you need the Windows serial before you activate your windows installation, not activation it gives you the 30-day trial. But you need a valid key to get there.

Anyway, reading what I just wrote.. I'm afraid I didn't told anything you didn't know yet ;) Good luck with this one!

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-04-2010, 13:04:11 »
When installing you can create an extra partion and install a fresh windows install on that.
When you are done, log in to that windows install and copy all files you need from your other drives/partions and then do a fresh install of windows, recreating the other partions if needed.

I can talk you through it if needed.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-04-2010, 15:04:15 »
When installing you can create an extra partion and install a fresh windows install on that.
When you are done, log in to that windows install and copy all files you need from your other drives/partions and then do a fresh install of windows, recreating the other partions if needed.

Is he able to make a new partition via the install CD on a drive that is already partitioned?
I always thought that wouldn't work?

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-04-2010, 17:04:12 »

Is he able to make a new partition via the install CD on a drive that is already partitioned?
I always thought that wouldn't work?
It depends if he has unpartitoned space or sperate HDD it can be done easily. If he has a partition which doesn't contain data he wants to retain, he can wipe that partition and use to install Windows on it.
Or you can use Fdisk to change existing partition, but that requires some knowledge of what you are doing.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-04-2010, 08:04:27 »
It depends if he has unpartitoned space or sperate HDD it can be done easily. If he has a partition which doesn't contain data he wants to retain, he can wipe that partition and use to install Windows on it.
Or you can use Fdisk to change existing partition, but that requires some knowledge of what you are doing.

Ah ok, so it still is like I knew it to be. Thx.

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-04-2010, 09:04:05 »
At the end of the day, you'll need your XP key to get the OS running again.  Was it a retail copy or OEM?  If it was OEM (the OS came with the PC) then it may be on a COA label somewhere on the machine.  Retail copies often had the COA label in the crappy user manual that came with the CD.

If you do get another XP serial, bear in mind that they are tied to their particular versions, e.g. retail, OEM, educational, volume licence, etc.  You need the correct type of key for any given version of XP, though with some homework and effort you can change the version of the OS itself and burn a new disc.

To copy your files to another drive without booting into the OS, you'll need to boot into some kind of operating environment with at least a basic copying function and driver for the external drive available.  The OS install CD recovery environment, an old school windows boot floppy (or usb drive) or a recovery product like many backup programs may have the functionality you need.

You could borrow or hijack another PC and connect your original hard disk as an external drive with an adaptor cable.  Don't be tempted to connect your drive internally with another machine's OS drive, as both will have their boot flag set leading to conflict and potential FUBAR.  You can turn off the boot flag on your hard disc, but utility software is usually required to do it.

Once you get into an environment with a copy facility the files aren't that difficult to retrieve.  If you kept them anywhere under \Documents and Settings\[user] and had made your profile private, you may have to alter the ownership settings for the whole lot to get at them.  Been there recovered that.

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-04-2010, 11:04:09 »

With such symptoms, I only see two likely possibilities:
- You got a virus (it is weird to loose both CDkey and dlls nearly at the same time)
- Your HDD is close to death (do you hear unusual sounds ?)

Anyway, you can easily retrieve your files if you have an install CD of windows XP (INSTALL, not RESTORATION CD).

Just install windows on the same partition as the old one without formating. That will be a dirty install but it will work, and you'll be able to copy everything on your external HDD.  ;)
But the next step I advise you is to check your HDD health (Fdisk + SMART markers) and, if it's OK, erase everything and do a clean install.  ;D

N.B: I'm not sure for one thing though: if the files you're looking for are located in default windows folders such as "my documents", reinstalling windows might erase them. Someone should confirm if it happens or not before you do anything.

N.B²: I was assuming you only have that computer, but if you have another one, the fastest and easiest solution is still to connect your HDD as external on the other computer, RN_max is right.  ;)
« Last Edit: 10-04-2010, 12:04:49 by Strat_84 »

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-04-2010, 20:04:59 »
You can also burn a Ubuntu live CD. With this can you load the Ubuntu OS from, which is a linux variant with a Windows like GUI, the CD.
From there you can plug in a USB Harddrive and copy everything form your drive to the USB Harddrive.

@Strat
Reinstalling windows on the same drive will erase your My Documents, installed applications etc. A repair would be hist best option, but that does not seem to work on Azreal's PC.