Author Topic: The Great Football thread  (Read 112196 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Football thread
« Reply #1320 on: 17-06-2012, 18:06:43 »
So despite having collected same amount of points (Russia 4 and Greece 4) by losing ,winning, and drawing once. The knock out is decided by which team lose to which?

I thought we will be looking at the goal difference when the points are tied, not the match between competing team.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: 17-06-2012, 18:06:21 »
But then you would have a situation where the outcome isn't clear.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: 17-06-2012, 20:06:12 »
Well, it came down to either Russia or Greece (both on 4 points). Greece won against Russia, then it's pretty much just fair that they advance. Greece won when it really counted, doesn't matter HOW you win, just that you win.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: 17-06-2012, 23:06:50 »
For all the Cristiano Ronaldo haters:

SIT DOWN!   ;D ;D

Offline Eglaerinion

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: 17-06-2012, 23:06:20 »
That was shit. Not unexpected though. We have a piss poor defence so we never stood a chance.
"The wolves will come again."

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: 17-06-2012, 23:06:00 »
Ughh I still am a Ronaldo hater, but damn he can play. Our defense didn't stand a chance.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: 18-06-2012, 00:06:31 »
Can't believe all the teams I was supporting were kicked out.How Russia could be out and Greece come in????
If Italy and Ukraine get out of the tournament...damn...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: 18-06-2012, 00:06:10 »
Poor game by Germany. But we made it, at least the only team with 9 points, does not make us a favourite though. Gonna lose semifinals vs Spain again I guess ::)

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: 18-06-2012, 01:06:02 »
I don't see how you can say that Germany played poorly. The first 20 minutes were great, and all through the game they played with much control. Hummels could be a new Beckenbauer.
Denmark on the other hand were really good, and have been through all three games. They deserved better than this ending.

Lars Bender as a right full-back. AFAIK he has neverp layed there before, he did an okay job but far from perfect with some missed markings. My question is why, when Boateng is unavailable, Löw doesn't move Lahm to the right-back, and put in Schmelzer on the left. I really wish to see Schmelzer get a chance.
Also like to see Götze and Reus get their shots, but damn the german offensive midfield might be the best and broadest I've ever seen. I really like Schürrle too
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: 18-06-2012, 02:06:44 »
Well, my friends told me the same. First half was okay, maybe good. But imo second half our team just stood around too much and moved without passion. Denmark played definitely well, but it was pretty close for Germany by the end of the game before Bender scored. I expected more passion, more fight.

Lars Bender is a guy from Leverkusen, my favourite football club and he is a very hard worker, usually in defensive midfield. His fitness results were the best in the whole team. Yes it's true, he never really played on that right defender position. Schmelzer is not bad, but he is not a great player. As a lot of players from Dortmund they just fit in the perfect system of the club. No need for too much skills, they have their role and they can play it. Schmelzer tends to make mistakes here and there. Bender is generally the better player and is very versatile. Putting him there was imo the right decision. He can't replace Boateng though. Boateng on the right side is better than in the middle at munich. Imo one of the best defenders in the world atm.

The goal was awesome for Bender btw, felt so happy ! Schürrle is the second Leverkusen player and he is awesome. Imo he's even better than Podolski (I like Poldi too though) offensively. Defensively Podolski is working very hard lately and does it as much as Schürrle, Schürrle is a very hard worker and just seems to be more agile offensively atm, but has less experience and does not fit the system as well as Poldi does when we hit a tough enemy. Podolski and Schürrle are quite equal in my opinion, with slightly different roles.

Regarding your question. Lahm does not like to play on the right. Tried before, but it did not end too well. It's still an option, but Schmelzer is only a replacement in the German team. Höwedes would probably have been the choice before Schmelzer if Bender would not have been avaiable. Löw does not like to let Lahm play on the right and tries to prevent it if possible. Also, Podolski and Lahm support each other very well on the left flank, especially in defense. Probably a major reason.

We have so awesome palyers on the bench. No other team in the world has such a good bunch of 23 players. Götze and Reus are awesome players, would rule the game in every other team, but German midfield is so strong already. The will get their shots in the future. Anyway, Müller does not impress me lately, he is still hyped by his 2010 play. Imo Reus should get a chance to play. Götze does not fit the system atm. Despite having such a great team I doubt we are going to win the Euros, but who knows... :)
« Last Edit: 18-06-2012, 02:06:36 by Surfbird »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: 18-06-2012, 04:06:44 »
Still, the situation in group A baffles me. Russia has 3 goal advantage after defeating Czech Rep. 4-1. In any football tournament, that should count as second factor for advancing to the next round after collecting points. Or is there any new kinds of rule?

I'm not questioning Greece here, but rather being confused by the rule. Because we often talked about a team needed to score certain amount of goals in their last match in order to advance.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: 18-06-2012, 08:06:50 »
Iirc, and please someone correct me on this as I'm not a pro in football tournament rules, the goal difference counts when the teams have the same amount of points but didn't play their last game against each other.
When they do play the last game against each other, then the winning team advances no matter what the goal difference says, as the winning team defeated the other in "direct combat".  :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: 18-06-2012, 09:06:37 »
Yep, that's right. The head-to-head record counts before the goal difference in the UEFA.

The FIFA does it the other way as far as I know. It's a weird rule of the UEFA. People say they do it to annoy the FIFA because these 2 organisations don't like each other and the UEFA wants to seperate themselves. I agree that this rule is  stupid, apparently power games are more important than football for them.

Well, they are both highly corrupt anyway, time to blow them up, but that's another story.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: 18-06-2012, 10:06:31 »
Ah thanks guys for the clarification. Even the wikipedia got it wrong too.  :P

I guess it's even stranger seeing that the Russian fans did nothing like protesting for the results. Looks like everyone is already used to it.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1334 on: 18-06-2012, 11:06:07 »
Premier League Fixtures for 2012/2013 are now released!

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/barclays-premier-league-2012-13-fixtures-day.html

Remember that Europa League qualified teams will have some dates changed, mostly Saturday fixtures moved to Sunday instead.