Alam Halfa
Operation Hyacinth
El Alamein
Operation Supercharge
Sidi Bou Zid
Mareth Line
Tunis
I wouldn't remove anything

Author Topic: Would you remove any maps?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
Would you remove any maps?
« on: 29-01-2017, 10:01:45 »
The map list of FH2 is getting quite sizable at nearly 50 currently, while there's only one populated server available, so you are bound to end up playing maps you don't like.

Are there any maps you think should deserve the fate of Operation Aberdeen - maps which have absolutely no place in today's FH2 - in order to have better chances to play what you want? Or would you remove nothing at all?

I'm curious if there are some maps that would really stand out. I can easily name a few of these "server killers".

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Re: Would you remove any maps?
« Reply #1 on: 29-01-2017, 11:01:11 »
Remove nothing!

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-01-2017, 11:01:00 »
I think there are maps that are not up to standards. Removing them is however quite tricky, because it often also means removing content used only on that map. Say, for instance, Mersa Matruh and Sidi rezegh were removed. This would also mean removing the hotel, mosque and Sidi Rezegh HQ / tomb etc custom buildings, which were made by people who are not the mapper, as well as the Valentine tank, which would then be unusable in the mod. One reason Aberdeen was removed was that it used only generic statics and tanks that are also available on tons of other maps.
In an ideal world, these maps would instead receive overhauls, but manpower is way too limited to do that, not to mention that some of the maps (Mareth Line for example) have big structural problems that were done wrong in the planning stage.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-01-2017, 12:01:11 »
I think there are maps that are not up to standards. Removing them is however quite tricky, because it often also means removing content used only on that map. Say, for instance, Mersa Matruh and Sidi rezegh were removed. This would also mean removing the hotel, mosque and Sidi Rezegh HQ / tomb etc custom buildings, which were made by people who are not the mapper, as well as the Valentine tank, which would then be unusable in the mod. One reason Aberdeen was removed was that it used only generic statics and tanks that are also available on tons of other maps.
In an ideal world, these maps would instead receive overhauls, but manpower is way too limited to do that, not to mention that some of the maps (Mareth Line for example) have big structural problems that were done wrong in the planning stage.
Can you show any links where you can download Abredeen? I still want to play this horrible map  ;D
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-01-2017, 12:01:46 »
I wouldn't want to remove any offcial map because I always find something fun to do in them, even if they are not quite as good as the newer maps. I like the African theatre a lot so it would be a bummer for me to see those maps gone.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-01-2017, 12:01:38 »
Wouldn't remove anything either. There are maps that I struggle to enjoy (cobra for example), but nothing so bad that I would remove them. Those CMP maps however...

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-01-2017, 12:01:27 »
There are a couple of annoying maps (Supercharge and Gazala for example) but there isn't anything so horrible that I'd remove it.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-01-2017, 14:01:28 »
To me it is more a question of how certain maps comes after another during server map rotation. Not that I know anything about how its handled.

Btw. The new pacific maps in the tournemnet are fantastic. Cant wait to play em on cmp server in the future :-)

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-01-2017, 14:01:39 »
To me it is more a question of how certain maps comes after another during server map rotation. Not that I know anything about how its handled.

Btw. The new pacific maps in the tournemnet are fantastic. Cant wait to play em on cmp server in the future :-)
Some CMP maps, such as battle of isle are laggy. I tell you that the CMP mappers wanted to get it done quickly, that is why there are about as many maps as there are in FH2.
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline radiosmersh

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-01-2017, 14:01:08 »
Can you show any links where you can download Abredeen? I still want to play this horrible map  ;D
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=20003.0

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-01-2017, 16:01:48 »
Wouldn't remove anything either. There are maps that I struggle to enjoy (cobra for example), but nothing so bad that I would remove them. Those CMP maps however...
100% agreed, although some CMP maps have potential imo.

I see votes for maps that I really don't understand, like Sfakia. Is it the personal experience of balance on those maps? Sometimes one team gets roflstomped on certain maps, but that doesn't mean it is because of the map itself.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-01-2017, 19:01:04 »
In honesty, I wouldn't remove any, but for the sake of voting I chose Eppeldorf. If you're not interested in tanking I find it a miserable experience generally. People groan when the desert maps come on but they're my favorites, I tend not to like the Bulge ones as much. Hurtgen can turn into a slog sometime too, although I wouldn't want to get rid of it.

And the CMP maps - whole 'nother story.  I appreciate the variety for a few days but I usually log off when one comes up.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-01-2017, 20:01:38 »
I wouldn't want to remove any offcial map because I always find something fun to do in them, even if they are not quite as good as the newer maps. I like the African theatre a lot so it would be a bummer for me to see those maps gone.

^ this. I wouldn't remove any maps. They're all good in their own way and I can always find something to do. As long as the map is immersive (aesthetically pleasing and historically accurate) and there are no performance issues. I have a good time playing them.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31-01-2017, 17:01:03 »
Some of the maps are downright groaning. I experience boring rounds at Vossenack, because of incessant instagib in the middle of thick forest. Then a very drowsy, long driving Mesra Matruh. But both maps are realistic and pretty accurate.

On the other hand, Ramelle... the rounds are fun, intense, and packed with excitement. It however, also invites questions like "the correct American uniform" and cheesy SPR quotes. I don't mind if this Hollywood bullshit is taken off.

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31-01-2017, 20:01:57 »
Haha I would rid myself of Alam Halfa in an instant.
My personal taste is so against that map, it's almost comical.