Author Topic: How to make an Eastern Front map  (Read 24157 times)

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
Re: How to make an Eastern Front map
« Reply #90 on: 12-08-2014, 23:08:07 »
I just cant make heightmap for Editor.I try to use your tutorials,looked on internet,but cant make.I hope i will make because im losing my optimistic for mapping

Patience is the key to victory in bf2 mapping. I suggest to join one of the mapping teams of fh2 communities - WaW or Forgotten Honor. At the beginning of your mapping tour you will often have many questions which might not be always answered quickly here...

Offline Wasntmenl

• FHT Mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 14-08-2014, 00:08:00 »
The initial learning curve for mapping is huge, escpecially in bf2/fh2. Mudzin made a great reccomendation for joining up with a community in which maps are activily made. For my first map for the Forgottenhonor tournament I received loads of help from the community and even some (future/ex) fh2 devs. My first map (Etna Line) took 200+ hours to make and the quality was even so-so. Now I can make such a map in a far shorter ammount of time deu to practice and understanding. Of game mechanics, spawn placement, and just how the overall editor and supporting programs work. (Such as importing a google earth image as a base layer to make your map on)

TS4EVER Also has a really valid point. If you easily give up in the face of advesities than mapping is not for you. But still having a helpfull active community who helps you can be tremendous for your motivation (at least it was for me) 

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 16-08-2014, 05:08:46 »
Undergrowth is an extension of texture, NOT an object. Do not place thick undergrowth to hide players like they are Velociraptors in Jurassic Park.

I laughed so hard I almost peed myself when I read that line.  Great tutorial on mapping.  I'm looking forward to playing it.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix an Eastern Front map
« Reply #93 on: 27-02-2016, 22:02:14 »
Hello and welcome to a follow-up installment to this devblog.
Theory and plans are one side of the coin, however, a map also has to always withstand the scrutiny of actually being played, lots of times, on a full server, by many different players. With 2.5 out for a few weeks now, it is time to make a first analysis of how the map works.
To make it short: I am not completely happy with it. Why is that?

While there are exceptions, most of the rounds on the 64p version on Dukla Pass follow a clear pattern:
1. The Russians take a foothold in the village (usually the schoolhouse).
2. Since the way from the mainbase to the front is very long, all Russian infantry spawns there from now on.
3. A huge meatgrinder in the village ensues.
4. From time to time someone will sneak over to the farmstead and capture it, only for the Germans to get it back immediately with the tanks from their mainbase.
5. If the occasional tank wanders into the valley of death, it has no infantry support and gets destroyed by AT guns or Germans with Panzerfausts ambushing them from the woods.

This makes for a fairly boring experience. On the bright side, the long range tank engagements are very fun and personally I enjoy the long range fighting as infantry as well. However, it seems that for many people, the map plays more like a desert map and especially for less experienced players, it is very hard to judge where you are "safe" and where literally the whole German Wehrmacht can shoot you from one hill over.
In addition to these problems, I had misjudged the tank balance quite considerably. I was always under the impression that the T34/85 was about the equivalent of a Panther (give and take a few numbers). However, this is apparently not the case, even with the upcoming buff to the 85mm main gun.

So I had three objectives:
- Buff the Russian side
- Make life at least a little bit easier for the infantry
- Give alternatives to the village meatgrinder

As a result of this, the following changes will be implemented in an upcoming balance patch (date will be announced later):

Add forward infantry spawns for the Russians, one for valley of death, one for Kruzlova.

Add more hard cover in the forested areas and make the forests significantly thicker (more trees). Cover will be concentrated around spawn areas, in areas from where snipers or mgs might want to shoot and along paths taken by aggressive infantry players: along the river beds and in the forest near the schoolhouse (you know which one).

Significantly increase the number of Russian tanks, especially if they have not yet captured a flag. Likewise, 1 of the Panzer IVs will be turned into a StuG and the second Panther will only spawn if the Germans lose their flags (along with the captured T34).

Together, I hope these changes will make the map a lot more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: 27-02-2016, 23:02:13 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 27-02-2016, 23:02:03 »
Really nice devblog TS. I like the changes. This is the benefit of having an active mapper and the updater ;)

Offline nysä

• View Profile
Re: How to fix an Eastern Front map
« Reply #95 on: 28-02-2016, 00:02:35 »
Likewise, 1 of the Panzer IVs will be turned into a StuG

I realize you are a man of vision, but any chance for a StuH? There were deployed during the battle, from 24.PzD and 300, 301, 311 StuG brigades.

Offline CaptainJax

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 28-02-2016, 01:02:46 »
I was wondering, will the Eastern Front maps ever be made compatible with co-op? The FH2 mod is kinda dead, but I still love playing around with bots. But alas, Mother Russia maps are not available.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 28-02-2016, 01:02:04 »
Well there are 50 people online right now, so maybe you don't need bots just yet. That being said, there is an unofficial sp patch in the singleplayer forums.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 28-02-2016, 01:02:59 »
Well there are 50 people online right now, so maybe you don't need bots just yet. That being said, there is an unofficial sp patch in the singleplayer forums.

In fact, there were 100 players last time I checked.

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 28-02-2016, 13:02:28 »
@Ts4EVER: It is in a strange way hilarious that I encountered almost exactly the same issues when testing the map with Bots ;D I also had to add a forward spawn in the woods for infantry right away and I also had to adjust the spawn behaviour to to tackle the Kruzlova carnage. I had to buff the russians by adding in more heavy tanks and reduce AT guns to make these tanks less vulnerable at choke points.

I was wondering, will the Eastern Front maps ever be made compatible with co-op? The FH2 mod is kinda dead, but I still love playing around with bots. But alas, Mother Russia maps are not available.

You can check out the Singleplayer forums, I have made a downloadable installer for all new maps with Bot support. Won't overwrite anything. HERE you go.

EDIT: Just noticed, as Ts4EVER already pointed out.
« Last Edit: 28-02-2016, 13:02:46 by Darman »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 28-02-2016, 22:02:02 »
About the StuH: probably not, since I would only place that on a map that has the corresponding StuG (for texture load) and imo it fits better on a map where they Germans are on the offensive and need to blast people our of buildings.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 29-02-2016, 12:02:57 »
Like changes!
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 29-02-2016, 16:02:14 »
About the StuH: probably not, since I would only place that on a map that has the corresponding StuG (for texture load) and imo it fits better on a map where they Germans are on the offensive and need to blast people our of buildings.

Sounds reasonable.
Historically, the StuK 40 was struggling to deal with the newer Soviet armour (head-on), when the StuH 42 was capable of KO'ing 'em left and right. But I realize the StuH is more of a bunker buster in the game.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 29-02-2016, 17:02:56 »
Nice devblog! Enjoy the thoughts someone puts in. A little bit more cover here and there won't hurt, but on the other way I like the look of the map, because it feels so realistic and I never found it too hard to get relatively safely from one point to the other - atleast on public most of the people don't coordinate so well.

For me incluiding another two T34/84 and two Su76 sounds a little too much in my opinion, but maybe I am wrong. what the map lacks was transport in my opinion. A few amored cars or DT carriers wouldn't have hurt.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 29-02-2016, 20:02:07 »
I think this is one of most realistic ambient and enviroment in FH2!
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear