Author Topic: Audio  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Laboraffe

• View Profile
Audio
« on: 15-09-2009, 05:09:07 »
If I had more details I would post in Bug Reporting but then again I am not sure if it is strictly an FH2 problem or not... Sometimes (perhaps on certain maps), it seems that all deaths are heard as being relatively close by when they are not (constant stream of grunts and ughs). Most recently an entire round of The Battle For Sfakia suffered this and I recall it being the same before. Plain BF2 has never been like this but since the 1.50 patch, I have heard the same on one or two of the "new" maps  (previously expansions) at certain times. The audio hardware is an X-Fi DSP with the latest drivers including OpenAL (replacing default wrapper). Settings are Ultra High and of course Game mode and CMSS-3D with filters on Auto.

So, is anyone else experiencing this, what is the cause, and is there a solution?

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Audio
« Reply #1 on: 15-09-2009, 09:09:25 »
If I had more details I would post in Bug Reporting but then again I am not sure if it is strictly an FH2 problem or not... Sometimes (perhaps on certain maps), it seems that all deaths are heard as being relatively close by when they are not (constant stream of grunts and ughs). Most recently an entire round of The Battle For Sfakia suffered this and I recall it being the same before. Plain BF2 has never been like this but since the 1.50 patch, I have heard the same on one or two of the "new" maps  (previously expansions) at certain times. The audio hardware is an X-Fi DSP with the latest drivers including OpenAL (replacing default wrapper). Settings are Ultra High and of course Game mode and CMSS-3D with filters on Auto.

So, is anyone else experiencing this, what is the cause, and is there a solution?

Switch off CMSS-3d, unless you have a headphone.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Laboraffe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-09-2009, 11:09:19 »
I do use headphones. Have you heard this problem?

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-09-2009, 13:09:23 »
I do use headphones. Have you heard this problem?

CMSS-3D tries to emulate surround sound for headphones, with emphasis on tries to

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-09-2009, 23:09:14 »
One possible reason is that for some wierd reason when a person dies, sometimes, he spawns and THEN screams so you hear the death scream coming from someone who just spawned... Not sure if this only with me since I have a 1second spawn time and perhaps its exclusive to bots

Offline Laboraffe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-09-2009, 13:09:59 »
It happens even with no one else nearby though and the cries are not so loud as being from players in the immediate vicinity.

I tried disabling CMSS-3D but then the positioning of sounds becomes so abrupt that I could not bear it even if it did solve the problem. For instance, when simply turning in place a sound source no longer transitions smoothly around.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-09-2009, 13:09:52 »
On second thought, nah, just forget it.
« Last Edit: 17-09-2009, 13:09:54 by Archimonday »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-09-2009, 13:09:11 »
Archi PM ctz with the code and all is well.
You will only get chewed for the comments about getting chewed. ;)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Laboraffe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-09-2009, 17:09:47 »
What did I miss?  ???

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #9 on: 17-09-2009, 18:09:35 »
Ok so you are using headset/headphones. The thing is, I had something strange quite like this with my headset. Only I heard fire burning next to me all the time, thing that caused this was a High Quality sound setting. Maybe search for something like that and put it on normal?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-09-2009, 18:09:49 »
I think I know what you mean and have suffered from this problem myself in the past. Although it was before I had dedicated soundcard. Solution I found to remedy my problem was to put sound renderer to software mode instead of hardware mode from the BF2 options.
« Last Edit: 17-09-2009, 18:09:49 by Mokusaku »