Author Topic: New mining system + yes/no suggestions  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
New mining system + yes/no suggestions
« on: 15-05-2010, 19:05:47 »
Hi all !

First of all congratulations to the devs for their new release. The new map is a true masterpiece and the new stuffs are realy improving the gameplay and the experience ! Good taste as always !

I have now some suggestions, and the first is about a way to spot S-mines. If the server is filled with 30 players or more, it is almost impossible to plant one without seeing the wrong guy stepping on it (even if you tell him it's here, he just ran for it). As a result, S-mines are almost never used excepted by back-cappers. I found various interesting solutions to this problem :

A) each time someone plant a mine, a message could appear on the screen. Something like this :
"*player* has planted a mine around *nearestflag*."
Then, the position of the mine would appear on the minimap and vanish like a regular spot.
B) anyone could mark the emplacement of a mine on the map, so everyone in the team could see it. (the commander can already put the shell mark, so it doesn't seem impossible)
C) the message A) appears, but only SLs or the commander can put the mark B)

What do you think ?

And btw here are some yes/no suggestions concerning details, completely unrelated :

1° When a passenger leaves a truck or an APC, could he be looking to the opposite direction (not toward the truck) ? It would be more imersive imo...
2° Could you fix the farm roofs so we can shoot through the holes ?
3° Could the armed grenades explode in the bot's hand when a certain time is up ?
4° It is impossible to throw a satchel through some windows (I nearly blew my squad up yesterday on PeB because of that fact... try the house near the flag of st-Lambert south) Could it be fixed ?
5° Could we hear a LOUD bell sound when we reach it (with grenades or rifle) ?

Thank you for your time ;)

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: New mining system + yes/no suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 16-05-2010, 01:05:49 »
I really long for some solution with s-mines. Well thought suggestion. Gets my vote.

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16-05-2010, 02:05:29 »
I agree. Threw out two mines in Anctoville church, because there were some Brits sneaking around. I typed "Don't walk up the churctower stairs. I planted some mines".

About 20 seconds later, 2 teammates walked up, both of them died.

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16-05-2010, 04:05:02 »
I personally cant see why the s-mines cant be turned off for your teammates. Is it too much of a stretch to assume that a defending army would tell each other where the mines were and know how to step around them? AT mines are fine as they are cause you really cant drive around in a mine field safely even if you know where they are. AP mines, however, are sticking out and visible anyways, so you would know how to avoid them if you knew they were there.

Ah well, itll never happen, I just think it's a waste that s-mines are nothing but tk magnets. I'd prefer having them removed from the scout kit and only given to special pickup kits if that would balance them not killing every teammate who comes within 4 feet.

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-05-2010, 05:05:23 »
AP mines are really usefull at some are spots, but most of the time people just don't look where they put their feet... 

Don't know for you but for me I see most of the AP mines that are in my road, so I dont have problem with them its other people that just dont think and just run in them.

We shoud keep it but more like AT mines

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16-05-2010, 05:05:32 »
Indeed, realistically team mates would be told where they are.

On the other hand, you shouldn't plant mines if there's any chance at all of team mates using that path.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16-05-2010, 05:05:22 »
Indeed, realistically team mates would be told where they are.

On the other hand, you shouldn't plant mines if there's any chance at all of team mates using that path.
The Battle is going to be constantly shifting though. One minute, there's hardly a chance if any that they go there, but five minutes later someone does because of a flag cap,etc.
« Last Edit: 16-05-2010, 16:05:01 by Desertfox »

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-05-2010, 10:05:26 »
How's about this: When planting a mine, you actually plant a locked PCO which has a 3x3 pixel X as it's icon, and the mine itself is addTemplated to it?

Would mean your teammates could see a tiny X on their minimap where the mine is, but the enemy won't.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Dnarag1M

• WoT Team
  • Forgotten Hope Alliance
    • View Profile
    • mah website
« Reply #8 on: 16-05-2010, 11:05:07 »
How's about this: When planting a mine, you actually plant a locked PCO which has a 3x3 pixel X as it's icon, and the mine itself is addTemplated to it?

Would mean your teammates could see a tiny X on their minimap where the mine is, but the enemy won't.

people look so little on their minimap, I have very little faith in this construction ;)

The problem is, it does not solve the problem! What kind of people walk on s-mines ?

'the kind of people that ignore the message saying DONT GO TO X I PLANTED S-MINES'.

which is EXACTLY the same kind of people that don't look on their minimaps - idiots and noobs ;) (and russians sometimes, but these cant speak english kekekekeke)

Offline Timmay9/11

• Toff Opic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16-05-2010, 17:05:10 »
maybe add a falg (like the one to indicate mines for teammates) that only teammates can see,   
There is only one thing I’m afraid of,  Nazi Zombies!!!
And remember Kids, never say these words on a nazi graveyard
ia ia cthulhu fhtagn ia ia nazi zombie fhtang

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16-05-2010, 17:05:06 »
maybe add a falg (like the one to indicate mines for teammates) that only teammates can see,   

There is the vanila mine indicator but it is shown for both teams - hardcoded I think.

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: 16-05-2010, 17:05:39 »
Could a "friendly warning voice" be added when you are near a friendly S-mine? When you stray out of the playable map zone, as an Aussie say, you get the warning voice "Get back to your bloody platoon ya mungrel!"

Could such a zone be implemented near an S-mine after you've planted it? When you're nearing an Smine your player gets this whisper e.g. "Oi mayte, watch where ya bloody treadin" etc ?

I guess it can't be done though?
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16-05-2010, 21:05:41 »
And btw here are some yes/no suggestions concerning details, completely unrelated :

1° When a passenger leaves a truck or an APC, could he be looking to the opposite direction (not toward the truck) ? It would be more imersive imo...
2° Could you fix the farm roofs so we can shoot through the holes ?
3° Could the armed grenades explode in the bot's hand when a certain time is up ?
4° It is impossible to throw a satchel through some windows (I nearly blew my squad up yesterday on PeB because of that fact... try the house near the flag of st-Lambert south) Could it be fixed ?
5° Could we hear a LOUD bell sound when we reach it (with grenades or rifle) ?

Thank you for your time ;)

1° No. I think it can be done, but it will be a lot of work for just a little more immersion.
2° No. This will complicate this static and increase the load for maps.
3° No. Bots don't get dev time atm.
4° St-Lambert south is on Falaise Pocket, not on PeB, but yes. I think some windows could be widened for satchels nd bazooka rounds. It is annoying to blow yourself up because the window looks big enough, but just isn't.
5° I'm not sure what you are aiming at here. What is it about?

About the S-mines: great suggestion, I hope there will be a solution for it, even if it is not this one.

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-05-2010, 21:05:39 »
Likey no 3 and 4
The mining thing would be cool although I recently started using s-mines succesfully  ;D
They would be used more frequently and it would be a lot more interesting as we on the F|H tourney know
(those s-mine trainings are pure gold!!!  8) )

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-05-2010, 23:05:16 »
Aren't mines generally used for preventing the enemy from moving through an area more than actually blowing them up?

It seems more fitting(and less obnoxious due to inevitable mine spam otherwise) if both sides would see any markers marking s-mines' locations.