Author Topic: Origins of Forgotten Hope  (Read 9683 times)

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
Origins of Forgotten Hope
« on: 26-01-2012, 02:01:33 »
Hey everyone,

I was wondering is some of the old timers wouldn't mind chiming in to give some insight into how the Forgotten Hope mod got its start. While its certainly easy to see how any person playing BF1942 would crave a more realistic experience; who was the person (or group) who actually said, "Hey! We should de a realism mod!" and got it going?

The archives on the website go back until October of 2003 (getting pretty close to a decade ago, how crazy is that?) and BF1942 was released in 2002.

I'm just interested in the history of the mod, any help is greatly appreciated! (That's why we're all interested in FH right? History?  ;D)
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline CologneSky

• with FH since the very beginning! (FH 0.5b baby!)
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Forgotten Hope
« Reply #1 on: 26-01-2012, 02:01:03 »
Well it was a bunch of people who thought that while BF42 was a great multiplayer game it lacked

A) historical accuracy and
B) an important part of the war (hence the name)

The inital idea was to add the early war (e.g. Poland, France) to BF42. And from there on it all developed gradually, slowly but also very impressively.

Some of the very early devs: AceS, ArminAce,Lobo (who was active quite a while).

I think from the current dev staff none was there at the very beginnings (or am I wrong?)

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-01-2012, 04:01:44 »
IIRC, at one point the original Forgotten Hope mod merged with a pacific focused mod, and from there they started to expand into the rest of the war. Sadly this was before I started playing.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-01-2012, 04:01:33 »
whatever happened to Lobo?

azreal

« Reply #4 on: 26-01-2012, 04:01:32 »
don't worry about it...

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-01-2012, 04:01:42 »
 I often wonder what happened to many of the late and greats from days gone by,

In general, most of them used Fh2 to buff their credentials and the moment that paycheques start to roll in they generally fucked right off from ever seeing us again. Personally, I miss their participation alot, as there used to be a time when we as the playerbase could actually interact with the creator's in the environments that they created.

In days gone by, it was not uncommon to face off against Dev squads. Hell, even Lobo used to visit WOLF (during NA hours) and there was, in general, a much greater sense of camarederie than exists today.

don't worry about it...

believe me when I say that many of us have worried about this.  To this day, I still remember the last time I saw RAD online and it was shortly before his passing. He briefly joined us online, reminisced about past development, (in particular how RAD and CTZ spent shitloads of time just trying to get the BF2 mod editor to work) He finally said his goodbye, encouraged us to keep playing this wicked mod and...

A couple days later, he was dead, and we only found out because his sister saw fit to google us down and report the sad news of his passage.

Personally, after developing strong relationsships to some of these people, I see it as a slap in the face, the way that retired-Dev's are sort of pushed to the margins and not properly celebrated. For a change, it would be nice to know what happened to them.

Did they retire? Die? go bankrupt? Sign Non-disclosures/participation agreements? Get forced out over internal issues? Move onto bigger/ better mods? Martyr themselves in Afghanistan? Have children/get married?

It would be nice to know, but I bet we never will. The Fh2 community is mature and we can deal with the good news, as well as the bad, but I harbour suspicion that the FH2 team doesn't respect that fully.

My Quebec includes Canada

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #6 on: 26-01-2012, 11:01:29 »
don't worry about it...

Although I sparred with Lobo a great deal on the filrfront forums I actually liked the guy.   So where did he go?
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-01-2012, 11:01:23 »
don't worry about it...

Although I sparred with Lobo a great deal on the filrfront forums I actually liked the guy.   So where did he go?
Last seen about a month ago.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

azreal

« Reply #8 on: 26-01-2012, 14:01:43 »
Lobo left the team a while back for real life reasons. Other than that, its not really my place to say. I would love to comment further on this topic, but right now I have class, so I'll do so when I get back.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-01-2012, 15:01:39 »
Who is keeping you bunch together under his iron fist then?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-01-2012, 16:01:55 »
Noone. The dev team operates under the time honored principle of "creative chaos" and "whoever screams the loudest" ;)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26-01-2012, 16:01:19 »
Aah, so angrybeaver leads you guys.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26-01-2012, 16:01:59 »
Its like the Senate of Rome all over again!

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26-01-2012, 16:01:39 »
Aah, so angrybeaver leads you guys.
No no, Lightning is the screamer.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26-01-2012, 16:01:04 »
@Sheik
Nobody is prohibited from posting. If any retired devs feels like posting they will. It''s just the way it goes, people get older and move on.
It''s good to see young people joining as developers, they are needed to keep this mod going.

And what's that about paychecks ? Anyone making dough because they modded for FH?

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)