Author Topic: American Panther spotted!  (Read 658 times)

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
American Panther spotted!
« on: 04-11-2017, 19:11:53 »
I am not sure if this was a bug or a hack. I was playing on the german side here and an enemy was driving around in a panther. I don't know if it only looked like a panther or if it really was one.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
Re: American Panther spotted!
« Reply #1 on: 05-11-2017, 17:11:38 »
Did it look like this?

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-11-2017, 08:11:35 »
It was the normal model that is available on Operation Luttich. You can see it in this version of the screenshot that has full resolution.

https://ibb.co/gBxNVw

Sadly when taking a screenshot the game freezes for me for about 5 seconds. When unfrozen, I was dead and the tank and any kill message gone. So I can not say if a panther or american tank appeared in the kill message. I also have to add, that it was not a bug in the coloring of the map symbol. The tank did not appear on the map before it was spotted. I also saw this tank about two minutes before I made the screenshot, but at that point I could not find my screenshot button quickly enough, which I only looked up after that incident in case I saw it again ... which then happened when I took this shot.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-11-2017, 09:11:11 »
Errors in the spotting system occur. I always suspect, that happens, when people switch sides, while spotting or something like that. Wherever it comes from, friendly vehicles appear with a red symbol. Happens sometimes. And if you see a kill message, with an american killing someone with a panther, it could have very well meant, that the tank exploded and bystanding infantry (or the leaving tank commander) got killed in the explosion, which was caused by an american destroying the tank.

If there is nobody else reporting this, it probably was coincidence. If not, than I am looking forward in reproducing this bug on a running server ;D

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-11-2017, 18:11:51 »
There is one similar bug like this one. For example it is possible that enemies get your teams uniforms. I am not sure what causes it but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a similar bug. Don't panic I would say  ;D

Offline Mr.ThunderMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-11-2017, 20:11:01 »
I also remember a similar bug in Bf2 demo when a friendly wasn't visible on minimap but could be spotted and had the red text above him instead of a blue one.

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-11-2017, 17:11:59 »
Well it was the first time I saw this within 10 years, so I guess it is pretty rare. I will have an eye out if it happens again.