Author Topic: Traction Wars - WW2 realistic FPS  (Read 47187 times)

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
Re: Traction Wars
« Reply #360 on: 01-08-2015, 04:08:27 »
Damnit, 2 years? Mount & Blade Bannerlord must come soon to fill up my new games need. (im only anticipating the two)

Offline Hauggy

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 01-08-2015, 06:08:46 »
Two damn years lol
I'll try to forget about this game...

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #362 on: 03-08-2015, 16:08:26 »
Damnit, 2 years? Mount & Blade Bannerlord must come soon to fill up my new games need. (im only anticipating the two)
With M&B's progress it'll be a close race whoever finishes first.

Anyways, this is a pessimistic release date with our current resources. More manpower = quicker release.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 03-08-2015, 21:08:15 »
Too bad I saw this.Now I see that FH2 is olding. Beautifull game,I looking forward to it!!
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 08-08-2015, 18:08:25 »
Booo at 2 years ... how in the world are they financing this project for that long?

And actually that brings up my biggest question about Traction Wars -- how does it plan to make money as a free to play game?

I would gladly pay $20-$30 for a quality WWII FPS ... I see no need to make it F2P. F2P actually makes me less excited because I hate microtransactions.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 08-08-2015, 18:08:04 »
Isnt it just a hobby project without any intentions of making a cent?

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 08-08-2015, 18:08:21 »
Why is this game called Traction Wars anyway?

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 08-08-2015, 18:08:01 »
They explained that a few updates ago; at first they were planning to make a steampunk-like game and they changed ideas after they named it.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 08-08-2015, 18:08:28 »
I suppose it is at least more unique than most World War 2 game titles - "Men of War" "War Soldiers" "Fight Army Game Go" etc

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 08-08-2015, 19:08:04 »
The name should have at least some connection to the game, most people including myself probably originally skipped this because they didn't know it was supposed to be a cool WWII shooter. My first thought when I saw this topic was a game about cars with guns or something, and I didn't bother to check until the topic became popular.

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 08-08-2015, 19:08:36 »
Yeah it sounds like the name of a 2d game.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 08-08-2015, 21:08:44 »
Booo at 2 years ... how in the world are they financing this project for that long?

And actually that brings up my biggest question about Traction Wars -- how does it plan to make money as a free to play game?

I would gladly pay $20-$30 for a quality WWII FPS ... I see no need to make it F2P. F2P actually makes me less excited because I hate microtransactions.

As Flippy said, it's a "hobby project" in sense. The only thing we pay for is the website, our TS server, some random things, test server (which can also be hosted by one of the developers) and a small license fee here and there. These costs are all split by the developers who want to chip in, some pay a lot, some aren't able to pay anything.

As for, why, it's a portfolio. All the coders, modelers, texture artists, mappers, etc. have ambitions to work in the games industry, they are either studying or already have a good job. So making money off Traction Wars isn't really what they need or want. Why not make a great game for absolutely nothing? It saves us a lot of hassle with licenses at least, we can work on our own pace, etc.

And just to be very very clear about this: Traction Wars will never implement microtransactions. Donations in the future may be an option but no game changing rewards will ever be connected to those. But we still have to go through the legal details of taking donations.

The name should have at least some connection to the game, most people including myself probably originally skipped this because they didn't know it was supposed to be a cool WWII shooter. My first thought when I saw this topic was a game about cars with guns or something, and I didn't bother to check until the topic became popular.

Yes, I'll admit the opinions are divided. I was one of the people insisting on changing the name but the team voted on it and the result was in favour of keeping it. Why? Because a lot of things change about TW, new subject (steampunk > WWII), new engine or platform, etc. And a lot of the fans from the mod days are still with us, a lot of people already knew us as Traction Wars. The consensus was the name was something familiar, something unique.

It doesn't fit but it's different and it's basically our "brand" by now. It's an odd name but it's an odd game as well, in the end it fits.

The same argument could be made about Forgotten Hope, the name is about the German invasions and invincibility during the early months/years of the war. Yet FH2 is mostly about the Allied push into German territory.
« Last Edit: 08-08-2015, 21:08:42 by Fuchs »
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 08-08-2015, 22:08:11 »
IMO Forgotten Hope is a pretty sweet name though.  ;D

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 08-08-2015, 22:08:46 »
Wish it did go back to an early war focus.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 09-08-2015, 00:08:04 »
IMO Forgotten Hope is a pretty sweet name though.  ;D
It is, when I first heard of it and played it I thought it was just some cool & edgy name for a WW2 shooter. Only years after I heard the story from Lobo.