Author Topic: Angles and bouncing shells?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
Angles and bouncing shells?
« on: 05-12-2011, 12:12:21 »
Hey I know that angle system is know, to be impossible on the BF2 engine and that the FH2 devs found a working solution (while still having flaws) but..

Anyone ever thought of making the tanks cannon's shells acting like a grenade from a grenade launcher?
BF2 grenade launchers' grenades do bounce on surfaces depending of the angle so would that be possible to code them to go straight and not into a curve like in vBF2?

Or is the angle system still too bad with this, is it moddable, editable?

I had this in my mind for a time, what do you think? I'm sure the Devs had a look in it before.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
Re: Angles and bouncing shells?
« Reply #1 on: 05-12-2011, 12:12:34 »
tank shells are bouncing off too if the angle is correct.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #2 on: 05-12-2011, 13:12:01 »
It wouldn't work.  As I understand, the grenades bounce off things because their impact material is set to do no damage to the material of the ground etc.  Obviously for a tank shell, you want it to do damage, so it will not show a visible bounce.  However, if you shoot a small cannon at a thick tank, you may see the tracer bounce off if the armour you hit was too thick to penetrate dead-on.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-12-2011, 17:12:11 »
Yes, tank shells do bounce, like Panzer II's cannon at most other tanks.

But, will the stray bullets cause damage? I do remember getting thrown into the air in BF1942 FH0.7, after a 75 mm shell bounced off from T-34/76's front hull. I was standing in front of the tank, holding wrench when suddenly there is a ricochet sound, then it sent my flying high before falling to the death.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-12-2011, 19:12:45 »
Guys... tank shells do bounce, when they don't do any damage!!! It's just an effect! Enemy tanks can still be taken out with a 10° angle, that's what I mean.

What I'm talking about there is a fully workable angle system.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Reuter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-12-2011, 22:12:16 »
I guess the engine can't handle a fully working angle system/more accurate penetration model.

For example: Die KwK 40 L/48 can penetrate a Tiger's hull with ease - no matter what angle. So the "Mahlzeitstellung" with a Tiger doesn't work at all.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-12-2011, 00:12:56 »
I guess the engine can't handle a fully working angle system/more accurate penetration model.

For example: Die KwK 40 L/48 can penetrate a Tiger's hull with ease - no matter what angle. So the "Mahlzeitstellung" with a Tiger doesn't work at all.
That's where my suggestion comes in, make the tanks shells grenades instead. Grenade launcher grenades without a heavy curve and without the tracers. Then play with the materials and the angle capability of it.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-12-2011, 20:12:07 »
That means the bullet needs to be modeled and have collisions meshes like launched grenades.

However, looking at the .tweak files, these two objects (tank shells and grenades) are two different thing. Grenades are classified as a handheld object and have its own meshes. While tank shells are part of tank gun which is part of the tank model and classified as vehicle.

In BF2 I haven't found any vehicles that fired bouncy projectiles like some infantry weapons do (riflenades, smoke/grenade launchers).

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-12-2011, 23:12:57 »
Well PR got a vehicle with an Mk19 grenade launcher, launching.. grenades lol, with a curve. But yeah, no idea about the bouncy part of it  :-\

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-06-2012, 23:06:27 »
Would be cool to have Devs input on this.