Author Topic: How about a Chinese Front?  (Read 12869 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: How about a Chinese Front?
« Reply #15 on: 26-07-2009, 12:07:08 »
we are niched as it is  ;)

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26-07-2009, 15:07:08 »
Forgive me for being slightly OT but do you know why the Chinese are less popular a WWII subject among those with an interest in WWII?    They lost around 20 million people during WWII. Their combat related deaths only surpassed by Germany and Russia.  One would think those kinds of losses would at least bring them infamy but surprisingly little seems to be mentioned of them during WWII in regards to most publications on the subject.

One reason is that most people just aren't aware. And part of that is the knowledge we have available to us in the West. I'm sure there have been plenty of books written on the Sino-Japanese war - in Chinese and Japanese. There's really not a lot of books (comparatively speaking) about this part of the war that have been written in or translated into English.

Offline m1rock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:59 »
 I want to thank everyone for the their views on this issue.   Hopefully we can see this side of the war explored more in gaming one day.  I truly think it is an interesting subject to tackle and Id like to know more about the battles of this theater considering even the Japanese took 1.8 million casualties fighting it.  Heck maybe someday down the road a mapper my stumble on this topic and decided to do a mappack based on it for a future incarnation of the FH series.   Regardless thanks for the input!  8)
« Last Edit: 26-07-2009, 19:07:22 by m1rock »

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #18 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:36 »
BTW, what veiw does the PRC take on the whole Chinese front?  What with it being half way through their civil war and all.

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:23 »
BTW, what veiw does the PRC take on the whole Chinese front?  What with it being half way through their civil war and all.

For the longest time they claimed they pretty much won the war singlehandedly and that the KMT did virtually nothing of any substance. Of course, everyone who lived through that time and pretty much the entire rest of the world knew that this was complete BS.

Now, the PRC has modified their position to say that the victory over Japan belongs to the Chinese people, not to any political party or ideology.

Offline m1rock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:41 »
From what I have studied on the subject the PRC seems to celebrate the communist battles against the Japanese while pretty much ignoring the contributions of the Nationalist forces as they are taboo in China.   The Nationalists collaborated with the Japanese invaders at first. The old "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"  situation until the communists captured their leader Chiang Kai-shek and gave him the option of either joining the communist forces fighting the Japanese or be executed.   He of course took the prudent choice and joined the fight against the Japanese.

One interesting note on that theater is it was the only time where German armor faced Japanese armor on the battlefield as the Chinese used Panzer II's in the war given to them by the Germans during the Sino-German cooperation (1911–1941).  Some units also fielded German helmets, German k98 Rifles, and some MG34s.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27-07-2009, 01:07:23 »
Never heard about PzII, give me a good source and well, might be true.

But the Chinese had Italian CV-33 Tankettes, PanzerI, Mg34, Pak35 and stuff from MANY countries, making a chinese faction whit ONE map will not be hard guys, common!

Offline GirlsHateMe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27-07-2009, 02:07:24 »
I'd personally love a Chinese front to happen but that's only because we get to use my favourite pistol - the Mauser C96  :)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27-07-2009, 02:07:20 »
Heheh chinese even received 1200 M/26's out of 30 000 ordered.  ;)

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27-07-2009, 03:07:08 »
Chinese also used weapons that were rare in other parts of the world like the C96 pistol (used as an SMG by Chinese troops) and the Czech ZB.26 light machine gun.

They also had a number of Sdkfz 221 scout cars. They also got Russian vehicles such as the T-26 tank and BA-10 and BA-20 armored cars.

Most KMT armor was organized into the 200th Division, which distinguished itself both against the Japanese and in Burma in 1942.

However most of this stuff is accurate for the period 1937-1941. After 1941 China got massive military aid from the USA, so Chinese troops should get American M1 helmets and gear, M1903 Springfield rifles, M1 Thompson, M1 Greasegun, Browning M1919, as well as M3/M5 Stuart, M18 Hellcat and M4 Sherman tanks. American-supplied armor would prove crucial in halting the Japanese offensives of late 1944.

Offline m1rock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27-07-2009, 03:07:25 »
Thats one thing I really liked about setting a few maps on the Chinese front is that the wealth of weapons and vechicals that where available in that theater.   The war the Chinese used a literal hodgepodge of WWI and WWII German, Russian, American, and captured Japanese weaponry as well as native weapons and rarer WWII weaponry like the Czechoslovak  ZB vz. 26.  The Maxim gun also played a major role.

Some battles I think that would make a good maps would be:

Battle of Shanghai 1937 - historical Japanese victory

Battle of Pingxingguan 1937 - historic Chinese victory

Battle of South Shanxi - 1941 historic Japanese victory

Battle of West Hunan - 1945 Historic Chinese victory

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27-07-2009, 04:07:39 »
Tbh the only way i can see this theatre being included is if every other one is completed first, including the Pacific Campaign.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27-07-2009, 05:07:00 »
China also has great variation in terrain which would make for good variety in maps.

Some battles I think would be interesting:

Marco Polo Bridge-1937 (A big bridge fight, think Bridge Assault in America's Army)
Operation Chahar-1937 (Great wall of China)
Shanghai-1937 (Urban meatgrinder)
Kunlun Pass-1940 (Chinese armored attack)
Hong Kong-1941 (with Brits)
Yenangyuang-1942 (Burma oil fields)
Changde-1943 (hard back and forth battle over the old stone walled city of Changde. Heavy use of chemical and biological weapons by the Japanese).

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27-07-2009, 15:07:13 »
It would be nice to see China ingame, but unless a miarcale happens that allows the FH team to release a new theatre per year I can't see this happening. It would fit the "forgotten" part of FH though as WW2 wasn't just Operation Overlord ("wa is Op overlord, me only know Nomandy, Omaha! Kill kriats for America and saf wurld!!!111" =p ) ..

Offline Frederik

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27-07-2009, 16:07:41 »
I think this could make a really nice map

Wuhan  (11 June – 27 October 1938): A japanese atempt to annihilate the main force of the chinese army. Battle includes air, ground and naval fighting (on the yangtze river) aswell as naval landings. The japanese had over 100 vessels (destroyers, gunboats, torpedo boats, seaplane tenders, transports..) and china had around 30.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wuhan