Author Topic: Making a Map.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline T0LTS

• View Profile
Making a Map.
« on: 14-02-2018, 15:02:50 »
Hey everyone

I have a bit of modding experience, I’ve made football kits for PES 6/12/13/17/18 and helped on a World Cup history mod for PES 2013.
My question is is it hard to make a new map? I have a few ideas and was wondering how hard it was and what software is best to use?

Thank You

T0LTS

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Map.
« Reply #1 on: 14-02-2018, 16:02:30 »
In my experience, having just started learning, it is a very time consuming thing. It's also quite hard to find answers for all of the questions you'll have during the process. Lots of the programs and tutorials are old/ outdated so you'll need to do a lot of searching. But if you have the patience, it's very rewarding. :)

You need to start with the BF Editor and get that installed. That's where all of the mapping takes place. Once it's installed there is a more stable .exe that makes it crash less. That can be found here.

The main tutorials that you want to look at are Fenring's mapping tutorials. These give a great overview on the basics and how to get started setting up the editor for FH2 and making a simple test map.

Here's another very good list of tutorials to look over as you start mapping

And here are the files that you'll need to help with mapping. These have all of the latest lightmap samples, undergrowth files etc...

Also, TS made a few good tutorials in the Dev Blog about mapping basics.

Offline T0LTS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-02-2018, 16:02:53 »
Thanks pal I’ll look into it now this is just what the doctor ordered lol
There’s so many battles that would make great maps for FH2. Now it’s just where to start lol

Thanks so much mate!!

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-02-2018, 17:02:14 »
...There’s so many battles that would make great maps for FH2. Now it’s just where to start lol
Start with a map that does't require any custom statics, vehicles or playermodels, and focus on a battle that can be 100% completed with what we have in game now. That will make things a lot easier for you, and it still gives you oppportunity to add something unique to the game. American army in North Africa is a vastly unexplored territory in FH2 for example, something USA vs ITA would be great, and anything Easter Front will do too, the more obscure the better. Try to avoid the most commonly known battles, scaled down maps covering whole operations, boring repetitive gameplay and things like that. For more technical info just stick to Matt's post above  ;)

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-02-2018, 18:02:15 »
also, think about the gameplay you want for the map,
how player will have to play it.
Then do a raw version of your map and test it before adding all the fine details to the map.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-02-2018, 10:02:56 »
Osterode am Harz would be great, an endkampf map with Americans vs. Germans with a Tiger II, Tiger I, Jagdpanzer IV, StuG III, Hetzer - and even a Jagdtiger  8)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-02-2018, 18:02:49 »
Yeah, but there is no Jagdtiger in FH2, there is a M26 Pershing tho, a map using that one would be great too!

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-02-2018, 05:02:47 »
nvm.
« Last Edit: 16-02-2018, 06:02:11 by blander »

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16-02-2018, 08:02:11 »
there is a M26 Pershing tho, a map using that one would be great too!

Hehe, we need Cologne and fast  :o

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16-02-2018, 17:02:18 »

Why? I would rather like to see it fighting in the open fields, you won't use its potential in a close quarter urban combat.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-02-2018, 10:02:59 »

Why? I would rather like to see it fighting in the open fields, you won't use its potential in a close quarter urban combat.

Half of the (known) engagements happened in that area, Niehl being another example - ideal for long range combat, but then again we don't have a Hornisse. This would offer more balance, than other scenarios with the nerfed down Tiger I.
« Last Edit: 17-02-2018, 13:02:26 by nysä »

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-02-2018, 08:02:31 »
I installed and loaded all the needed files for the bf2 editor but it seems like something is wrong. I bet it´s the spawners files. I downloaded the one that´s with the tutorials but it only contains early african stuff, I guess it´s an outdated file. Where can I get the updated one? Thanks!

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-02-2018, 09:02:00 »
Are you talking about kits? Then it's not updated because most people don't use it, but rather change the kits in the gameplayobject.con files directly.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-02-2018, 10:02:28 »
I have the following problems:

- When I open a map in bf2editor vehicle spawns don´t appear.

- If I want to create a new vehicle spawn I only have a short list of early mod era african vehicles to choose from.

- I can´t set the spawnable kits properly from the editor. When I load the map in-game the kit section doesn´t appear. If I attempt to spawn I get a CTD. I tried to copy-paste an existing kit loadout from an existing map (like arad or Brest) in my map to see what happens, but I get the same effect.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18-02-2018, 11:02:22 »
1. In the left menu, go into layers and select one of the gameplay layer (64, 32, 16). Vehicles, spawnpoints and so on will appear.

2. Do not use these spawners, just leave that empty when creating the object spawner. Then choose whatever vehicle you want for each team from tweak menu on the right.

3. To play your map ingame, you need to pack it using the pack-map.py file in the main mod folder.

You should also join our discord (possible from our mainpage now). We have a channel for mapping and modding.