Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 179220 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #1920 on: 06-05-2018, 14:05:30 »
Rewatched this again with my family yesterday.

Never expected to get very excited when seeing Captain America emerges on the scene. A fantastic job that is.

They did 4 sub-plots and weave it into one coherrent and cohesive storyline. It is a very difficult thing to do, but they make my simpleton mother understand, that is a great achievement. Managing the clash of the characters to be far more acceptable than Batman and Superman is the second greatest achievement made by this movie.

My only gripes is that, the film is not as tight or as neatly packaged as the first Avenger movie. Sure it is difficult, given how many big characters and subplots that is going on.

I just hope this beat Titanic. James Cameron needs to shut up after making that "on and on and on and on" abomination.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: 09-08-2018, 14:08:47 »
Just watched Arrival last night. Very solid 8/9-10.

It’s Denis Villeneuve so I knew it would be a great movie, but I was kinda blown away. The cinematography was great again, tho not as good as something like Blade Runner 2049. But the story was great and every scene seemed to hold some thematic value. I was really blindsided by the feels tho :'( and that’s one thing I really didn’t expect going into the movie, you actually care a great deal about the characters and their story. Amy Adams did an awesome job.

I’d check it out if you can, but it can be cripplingly sad at times.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1922 on: 26-02-2019, 23:02:37 »
Long time since I've seen it now but...

I think La La Land was great.

Love that ending with the different versions of what could have been.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: 12-01-2020, 01:01:58 »
Has anyone seen 1917?

If you did, what do you think of the attack scene at the end, which is visible from the trailer?

Isn't it completely bad in terms of historical accuracy? The trench design and the battlefield in general...
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: 15-01-2020, 05:01:40 »
Has anyone seen 1917?

If you did, what do you think of the attack scene at the end, which is visible from the trailer?

Isn't it completely bad in terms of historical accuracy? The trench design and the battlefield in general...

I saw it tonight and thought it was amazing. The single take narrative still has me reeling.

As for the ending;
Spoiler
I don’t think that the historical accuracy of the last battle really has much to do with the movie’s narrative but I was under the impression that this was a quickly dug trench overnight as one of the soldiers mentions to the main character as he’s sitting in the forest. (he says something to the effect of “we were digging in all night” iirc) I also got the impression that they were chasing the retreating Germans to the Hindenburg line over new ground and this was the first main attack as they thought they had them “on the ropes” in retreat.

More importantly tho, I think that the un-scarred battlefield represents something more closely associated with the main character’s journey. He goes through hell in the burning town at night, was visited by a symbolic angel in the form of the women and child that heal his wounds and then is almost literally “re-born” and baptized via his trip down the river where he comes out “clean” on the other side, stripped of all his webbing and other war accessories. He’s travels through the forest to find a brand new world that is “clean” and almost free from war only to watch it start getting torn apart all over again unless he can stop it.

That’s my initial take on it anyway. I’ll have to watch it again to see how I feel.

This movie is an 8 or 9/10 from me tho. Go see it in the biggest theater that you can :)

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: 23-02-2020, 18:02:47 »
Stosstrupp 1917

Apperantly there already was a war movie 1917, came up on youtube for me. Not half bad, could do with some subtitling. If they had a shaky cam this would almost outshine recent war movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAUI3rSUvYQ

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: 23-02-2020, 20:02:25 »
So a shaky cam is a plus?

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: 23-02-2020, 23:02:43 »
No but most modern war movies use it atleast that i saw, like SPR or the BoB series.
People expect it in a war movie.
But if you rewatch something like BoB you just notice how rediculous the action scenes are without the fast cutting and shaking camera. Like some weekend reinactors, but its what we ve grown accustomed to.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: 24-02-2020, 20:02:27 »
Maybe it's just me getting old, but I don't need a shaky cam to feel like I'm watching a warmovie. I'd rather have the details correct, nice action and good dialogue/acting etc, but I guess that might be different for others ;)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: 24-03-2020, 01:03:04 »
"Come and See", USSR, 1985.

Yeah, there's no better anti-war movie than this one.

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: 10-10-2020, 20:10:42 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SAh4jdssA

Battle of Borodino, really nice battle scenes towards the end of the movie.