Author Topic: View point/view port for tank MG gunners inside  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Sgt.Radman

• View Profile
    • Why Should I?
View point/view port for tank MG gunners inside
« on: 05-10-2010, 14:10:17 »
I was thinking about this one some time ago but didn't have the time to post it.

And I think this was discussed before. When you switch to the MG gunner inside the tank with F2 usually the view is always from the optics. I don't know about the others but me, it drives me crazy and gives me dizzyness.

So this is what i suggest : Could it somehow be made that you have a view port through which you can see something and then if you want to shoot you can press X to go to the optics? Just like the main gun.

Offline Folkhoer

• View Profile
Re: View point/view port for tank MG gunners inside
« Reply #1 on: 05-10-2010, 14:10:49 »
I would like that allot.

Offline maj_winters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-10-2010, 14:10:52 »
that would be cool man    ;D
Canadian Red Devils 1 Special Service Force

My great grandfather was a captain

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-10-2010, 15:10:20 »
Nice idea!  :D

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline DannyNickelov

• Freedom isn't freedom without fighting for it.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 05-10-2010, 15:10:56 »
Very nice!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-10-2010, 15:10:42 »
If this were to be implemented, then only with a view that is restricted to looking straight ahead.
The Gunner/Driver of a tank definitely did not have the same view as the commander.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-10-2010, 17:10:17 »
If this were to be implemented, then only with a view that is restricted to looking straight ahead.
The Gunner/Driver of a tank definitely did not have the same view as the commander.
Yup, correct. Atleast in the German tanks the hull mg was used by the radio operator, sitting on the right side, next to the driver which limits his views to the front. Another possibility would be if the radio operators hatch would be open, this way he´d be able to view small parts of the sides, but then he´d be exposed to incoming small arms fire and also I´m not sure if that could be implemented in BF2.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-10-2010, 17:10:35 »
The radio operater's view to the front was pretty much only BY the optics of the MG anyways.... ;)

Offline Ahonen

• "The grass just spoke chinese."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-10-2010, 19:10:59 »
The radio operater's view to the front was pretty much only BY the optics of the MG anyways.... ;)

Quite a few tanks had a fixed viewport for the hull-MG gunner, usually next to the driver's.
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-10-2010, 20:10:57 »
Don't know the numbers but indeed many tanks had a periscope where the radio operator could see true, sometimes the periscope could even be turned to the sides. But also, a lot of tanks did not have anything like this at all.

The way it is now is good, if they would give the possibility to switch view people would complain about those tanks that did not have this option in real life and demand them to have it too.

That aside, i would not mind seeing this actually, if a dev thinks it is worth the time spend.

Offline Sgt.Radman

• View Profile
    • Why Should I?
« Reply #10 on: 05-10-2010, 20:10:24 »
Of course I wasn't implying that be a 360° view, I was just wondering if it could be a hatch like the drivers in some tanks - you know an opening the size of 20-30cm with which you could only see in front.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-10-2010, 21:10:57 »
That's the thing, there was no 'hatch' like you see for some of the drivers positions.  The radio operator SOMETIMES had a periscope, but usually not.  Those who had it really didn't use it, their job was to man the radio, using the machine gun was of secondary importance, and observing wasn't really done at all.  Their entrance hatch was just a steel fliptop, it was only open when they would be sitting outside of their positions, something they simply wouldn't be doing in combat.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-10-2010, 23:10:37 »
Hmm, just looked at some pictures and it seems that almost all US tanks have a periscope for the radio operator. It is exactly the same hatch/optics for both the driver and radioman in all Sherman tanks, stuart tanks and chafee i looked at so far. The British Cromwell had the same aswel it seems Not the German or Russian tanks though.

Just a 5 minute google of popular tanks gave me this, i probably missed many.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-10-2010, 23:10:53 »
Yeah, its mostly the ami tanks that did it.  But it doesn't change the fact that they simply weren't used.  The only purpose in FH2 for the radio op seat is to shoot a machine gun directly forward, and the optics do just fine at that.

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-10-2010, 23:10:57 »
Definitley would like the viewport even if its static.

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)