Author Topic: Mortar Relaod and Effects  (Read 15749 times)

Offline phillip

• View Profile
Re: Mortar Relaod and Effects
« Reply #60 on: 01-10-2010, 19:10:44 »
I like cheeseburgers and pineapple pizza.

A 5 gun 105mm battery shouldn't really be compared to making a single mortar better.  We aren't talking about making the mortars shoot 60rpm.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 01-10-2010, 19:10:18 »
This' what we did right now:
Now look at the thread, now back at me. Now back at the thread, now back at me.

We're talking about barrage and deviation, the mortar has now become Norwind, that unbalanced map you love, this is Foy, I'm in some tank.

Yer, I know Its fckd up

OT, i don't think we need bunched arty. All, i think, need be done is to make howitzers n mortar fire faster. About thrice as fast,
/make it overHeat and require a long wait if it keeps that up for say 12 or 9 shots.
/Get pacing shots to have to be equal to current fire rate to get cooldown speed to be faster than heatup speed, thus doing away with the need for a long wait if you pace shots.

Additionally,
Have the deviation/settle margins that mg has. The faster the shots, the wider the deviation, the more you need to pace yourself to avoid deviation completely. The time require between shots to maintain perfect pinpoint accuracy being the same as current fire speed
/Reload has nothing to do with it anymore. You just won't want overheat or over-deviation is all.
/The further the adjustment the the wider the deviation, unless you wait a few secs before firing

Offline katakulli

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 01-10-2010, 19:10:52 »

Haha the 105 mm Battery was pure awesomeness.

Do you know how many times i quit playing el alamein and seelow heights just because of that artillery batteries ?  ;D    Spawn - die     Spawn - die    Spawn - die     Spawn - die  ah yeah it's awesome  8)
Basically, axis bias has removed. Glad its being noticed.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 01-10-2010, 20:10:50 »
I like cheeseburgers and pineapple pizza.

A 5 gun 105mm battery shouldn't really be compared to making a single mortar better.  We aren't talking about making the mortars shoot 60rpm.

After a few pages strange things happen to the original topic subject, the experts say it's typical behaviour from the natives on this forum.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 07-10-2010, 17:10:08 »
Also the better mortar system would be pretty neat with smoke shells.  The mortar team would be able to provide a nice blanket for infantry.  Send mortar shells on a spot until you see friendies moving in then smoke.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 07-10-2010, 17:10:21 »
It would be a big plus if mortars could shot smoke rounds at all.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline VanOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 09-08-2011, 14:08:06 »
Its been a year.  I am curious what people's thoughts on this are now?

I am still of the opinion that tweaking mortars would be good and interesting.

Namely:
1. Reduce the reload time or allow a burst of rounds
2. Make each round have a medium to large deviation.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 10-08-2011, 10:08:25 »
Deviation is in in the latest release albeit small.
I don't think the speed has been upped, but that could be a gameplay decision. Although I would like to see the mortar reload time sped up, I can imagine, with maps like Hurtgen in mind, it destroys gameplay experience for the opposite team.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 10-08-2011, 12:08:30 »
Imo Arty is ok and fun as it is currently, especially when good teamwork is present. .....

What I would like is that the arty gunner manually decides when to change spots. I know about the prev. and next target buttons but I really hate it when you have large number of empty/wrong spots throwing out the coordinates of a previous good spot....sometimes you miss an opportunity to stop attacks because of the "refresh" so to speak!

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 10-08-2011, 15:08:27 »
What I would like is that the arty gunner manually decides when to change spots. I know about the prev. and next target buttons but I really hate it when you have large number of empty/wrong spots throwing out the coordinates of a previous good spot....sometimes you miss an opportunity to stop attacks because of the "refresh" so to speak!

Yeah that would be good, I hate it too.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 11-08-2011, 21:08:49 »
Ya. I think FH2 was always first about realism before gameplay - otherwise, we have BF42.

I think it should be able to fire as fast as possible using the Mg margins I spoke off. Fire with deviation as it exists, but increase the deviation as you fast-fire, and let it return as you slow down. That allows it to be a barrage weapon.

Alternatively, have alternate shells to fire, one way fast but horribly deviated, the other as exists now.

Offline C.Abrams

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 12-08-2011, 04:08:42 »
I always surprised me that mortars take so long between shots and that they were so accurate.  I would think that one you zeroed in on a target you would pump round after round down range in an attempt to saturate an area.

The current system works in a very seemingly slow way and a surprisingly accurate. 

Wait for a spot, fire first round.
Wait several seconds the round hits and the tube reloads.
Adjust aim.
Fire next round, repeat.

Would it make more sense to have each mortar keep roughly the same time to reload/fire but have 3 rounds land instead?  Of course have each round have a good measure of deviation in them.
Or perhaps get another fire-mode for mortars so that a person could shoot single shots to get their aim right, then use the cluster option to fire more rounds but at a higher deviation with a longer reload time.
Depends on what mortar your using