Author Topic: Effectiveness of inclined armor part 2 ?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline ahalol

• View Profile
Effectiveness of inclined armor part 2 ?
« on: 23-08-2019, 05:08:39 »
Hello all,

Can someone please inform me how FH2 treats inclined armor on tanks? For example, the T34's hull is 47mm@60°. Does the inclination helps ricocheting or is it treated as 94mm@90°?

Thank you

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
Re: Effectiveness of inclined armor part 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: 23-08-2019, 05:08:46 »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-08-2019, 12:08:06 »
Front armour is coded to take Angles in account

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #3 on: 23-08-2019, 19:08:19 »
Hello all,

Can someone please inform me how FH2 treats inclined armor on tanks? For example, the T34's hull is 47mm@60°. Does the inclination helps ricocheting or is it treated as 94mm@90°?

Thank you
For the most part, the armour has the slop built into the thickness, so the front slope of the T-34 would be 90mm (80mm ingame currently, going up to 90mm in the next version).

Completely separate to this, shots landing at very shallow angles will deal reduced damage.  I can explain this more by request.

Offline ahalol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-08-2019, 06:08:44 »
For the most part, the armour has the slop built into the thickness, so the front slope of the T-34 would be 90mm (80mm ingame currently, going up to 90mm in the next version).

Completely separate to this, shots landing at very shallow angles will deal reduced damage.  I can explain this more by request.

Thank you for the brief explanation. So the T-34 in game is coded as 80mm@60°? Given that the slope does not increase armor thickness but only reduce damage? Additionally, if I were to position my tank on a slope as seen in the situation depicted in the following picture (terrain slope should be 30° instead of 60°), I will be given an unrealistic buff. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, if I angle my tank so that the round is not coming straight at my hull, will the angling also be taken into consideration for a sloped amour?

Many thanks for the elaboration.
« Last Edit: 24-08-2019, 07:08:16 by ahalol »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-08-2019, 09:08:44 »
If you angle your vehicle like that, it will still  have the 90mm of front armor. There are two ways angles are portrayed ingame:
1. Slopes are calculated into the front armor value. A shell can only penetrate it if it has a higher penetration value. Shell penetration values are based on real life values at 500mm. Range does not affect penetration, but it affects amount of damage after penetration. If you shoot at a plate you cant penetrate, a "ricochet" graphical effect is played.
2. "Angle mod" means that if you shoot at plate at a certain really high angle, the damage is reduced to 0 no matter what. In that case you still get a hitmarker and no ricochet effect, but no damage. This was done to make exploits like shooting at the roof armor from an extremely steep angle impossible.

Offline ahalol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-11-2020, 06:11:46 »
dear gentlemen,

i wonder why the the damage drop was chosen to be only effective from 60 - 90 degrees? Wasn't angling a box-shaped tank like tiger at 45 degree a valid tactic?

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-11-2020, 18:11:10 »
dear gentlemen,

i wonder why the the damage drop was chosen to be only effective from 60 - 90 degrees? Wasn't angling a box-shaped tank like tiger at 45 degree a valid tactic?

Engine limitation.