Author Topic: [Texture] Willy's Jeep Texture Pack (image heavy)  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
[Texture] Willy's Jeep Texture Pack (image heavy)
« on: 10-10-2013, 02:10:41 »
I decided to do a full reskin of the Willys Jeep for FH2 with new and historically correct markings for each map. I did it for myself to use in my own FH2 but I'm putting it up for download in case anyone else feels like using these skins for themselves.

The current FH2 Willys Jeep texture has a few historical inaccuracies and this pack aims to fix those as well as give diversity by having a different texture on each map through the texture suffixes. The files obviously make the FH2 file size larger so if you feel like just replacing one texture or a few you can do that too.

I did a lot of research on this but I'm far from perfect and I don't have access to all the research that's out there, so if anyone notices any historical inaccuracies/something that seems wrong or off, feel free to let me know.

I tried to diversify the markings to show the variety with which the Willys was marked in real life. There are a few markings that are based off of photos from the actual battle but most are just recreated by following the markings guidelines these armies used in WW2 and matching them with the divisions being used on each map.

Note that this is a full vehicle reskin, so there's no .dds compression issues. I did my best on the reskin but any helpful critique is always welcome.

I haven't fully tested these on a server yet but I have other skins using the same texture suffix format and I've never been kicked before. Let me know of any problems anyone has.     

gamefront link:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/23759495/Matt_Baker%27s_Willys_Texture_Pack.rar

dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8o8mfoc1v125wc/Matt_Baker%27s_Willys_Texture_Pack.rar

(Idk of any other good sites to upload too so if anyone wants to re-upload this to their preferred site feel free as long as you keep my name on it)

List of what vehicles are on each map and some screens: 

Bastogne- 101st Airborne, 502nd PIR, Headquarters, Vehicle #13, "Stella"*
   note: The Willys on Eppeldorf has same texture & markings as Bastogne because they have the same texture suffix.

Battle of Brest- 29th Infantry Division, 116th IR, Company 'C,' Vehicle #6, "Bull Run"

El Alamein- LRDG, Patrol 'R,' Vehicle #4, "Rotowari"

I decided to do an LRDG vehicle for this map because there's already LRDG vehicles/an LRDG staging point on this map. (and the SAS markings aren't quite as interesting :P)

Gazala- 7th Armored Division, 'C' Squadron

Lebisey- 3rd Infantry Division, Recon Corps

Mersa Matruh- 7th Armored Division (markings scratched off as per retreat out of Gazala Line)

Meuse River- 2nd Infatry Division, Company 'M,' Vehicle #18
(2nd ID is from the patches on the American soldiers on the map)

Operation Cobra- 2nd Armored Division, 24th Recon Regiment, Headquarters, Vehicle #3

Hyacinth- LRDG, Patrol 'T,' Vehicle #6, "TE ANAU"

Operation Luttich- 30th Infantry Division, Company 'D,' Vehicle #2

Operation Totalize- Canadian Medium Regiment, Signals Section, 1st Canadian Army

Sidi Bou Zid- 1st Armored Division, Headquarters, Vehicle #18

St. Lo- 29th Infantry Division, 116IR, Company 'B,' Vehicle #29, "Zebra"

Supercharge- SAS Markings

Villers Bocage- 7th Armored Division, Recon Corps

Vossenack- 28th Infantry Division, Headquarters, Vehicle #11, "Shortstop"

(Willys Rockets)- 28th ID, Company 'B,' Vehicle #10, "Patriot"

Seige of Girarabub is only map to use a Willys Jeep that I left with an original FH2 texture. The reason behind it is because I couldn't find any record of Willys markings from that time period. In March of 1941 I believe there were mainly Bantams in use in North Africa if any type of Willys at all.

The intructions for how to install should be in the read me file. The basic idea is to navigate to the Willys texture files in their respective armies folder and replace them with the new ones.

NOTE: might want to save the original FH2 textures into a different folder if you don't want to lose them as these new ones will replace them.

Yes the changes between each vehicle are small but I enjoy diversity and the little bits of historical accuracy that make FH2 the best WW2 game out there ;D

Hope you guys enjoy it :D feedback's appreciated, especially on the historical aspect.

Edit: thanks pizzaman
« Last Edit: 10-10-2013, 03:10:25 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [Texture] Willy's Jeep Texture Pack
« Reply #1 on: 10-10-2013, 02:10:51 »
Awesome work, great job! 8)

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
Re: [Texture] Willy's Jeep Texture Pack
« Reply #2 on: 10-10-2013, 02:10:44 »
Those textures look very nice!  :)

(also how do you resize images for these forums? so I can post a screen for every vehicle without crashing the thread :P)

Put width=700 (or any size you like) next to [img
like here:

« Last Edit: 10-10-2013, 03:10:12 by pizzzaman12 »
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
Re: [Texture] Willy's Jeep Texture Pack (image heavy)
« Reply #3 on: 10-10-2013, 12:10:34 »
Great work. Something that should be considered to be added to the mod itself with the next patch in my opinion. It might only be a detail but I like it very much.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-10-2013, 14:10:52 »
Mat Baker, you should apply for becoming a dev. The team is need of skilled individuals and it is obious that you have those skills. You know how to creat models and texture them.

Great work on all of those Willy's. Outstanding job.  ;)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-10-2013, 20:10:45 »
Awesome! I really like details like those on different maps, really helps with the immersion factor! This will surely make using Jeeps more enjoyable for me! Too bad they are only ever used for flag rushing in FH2...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-10-2013, 21:10:31 »
Scheisse, ein Zebra! ;)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-10-2013, 21:10:37 »
Astonishing work!  :o Can anyone tell me if it works eith MP servers once they test it?

Mat Baker, you should apply for becoming a dev. The team is need of skilled individuals and it is obious that you have those skills. You know how to creat models and texture them.

Great work on all of those Willy's. Outstanding job.  ;)

This.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-10-2013, 21:10:22 »
Relax guys, it's up to him to apply ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-10-2013, 22:10:12 »
Just tried this out of 762 and it works fine in case anyone's wondering. I jumped in my shiny new jeep and then promptly ran into a minefield :-X lol

Scheisse, ein Zebra! ;)
There's a few other BIA references in the skins ;)

I'd be more than happy to help the mod out if I applied. FH is the reason I started doing this stuff 8). But right now I'm a little busy with RL so I don't have much time to do anything. If/when that frees up I'll certainly think about it :)

Thanks a lot for the compliments guys hope you all dl and enjoy it.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-07-2014, 10:07:54 »
Very nice work!

I assume, this doesn't mess in any way with my ability to play only?

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-07-2014, 13:07:19 »
You use these textures by replacing existing ones or via textures suffixes in init.con?

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-07-2014, 19:07:50 »
Matthew_Baker I hope that someday, we will see those skin as the official skin of FH2 :)

Both pack

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-07-2014, 22:07:53 »
Very nice work! I assume, this doesn't mess in any way with my ability to play only?

These won't mess up your ability to play online at all. I've been playing online with custom textures for years, they're just additions to the original FH2 ones.

You use these textures by replacing existing ones or via textures suffixes in init.con?

These textures are added into the mod with the texture suffixes in each map yes. The original textures are not replaced just added to.

Matthew_Baker I hope that someday, we will see those skin as the official skin of FH2 :)
Both pack

I hope so too, but until then, feel free to download and enjoy :)

Offline Wakain

• Why no Italian bias?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31-08-2014, 18:08:48 »
Nice project, love the care for detail. There also appears to be more modeldiversity than I had ever noticed.