Author Topic: No health bar on tanks  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Jürgen

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
No health bar on tanks
« on: 15-11-2009, 20:11:26 »
I just had the idea...
What if the tanks were just like the infantry,no health bar?
It would add to the inmersion because,a subjetive point of view of how strong a tank is would be introduced...
People tend to think that health bar represents the armor or something like that.
Anyway,that is my point...
What do you think,would it add to the inmersion and would be good or not?

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
Re: No health bar on tanks
« Reply #1 on: 15-11-2009, 20:11:43 »
*starts a "We want the Inf Healthbar back" suggestion*

I mean, if I've been hit with a pistol in my arm or leg, I can probably feel how "damaged" I am (which the bar represents right?)

Same with tanks, the crew would be aware of the condition the tank is in.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-11-2009, 21:11:29 »
But theres no real tank damange, just, if the enemy shoots, the only thing that gets damage is, the whole tank.

Not bits like the Engine, Tracks, Turret, Gun, Hull MG, Suspension, etc.

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-11-2009, 21:11:25 »
The idea is interesting like I already said on the IRC.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #4 on: 15-11-2009, 21:11:18 »
Meh, I like my bar down there, so do my squad mates with their wrench.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16-11-2009, 04:11:39 »
i vote to drop it
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #6 on: 16-11-2009, 04:11:54 »
I quite like this idea.  You certainly would know more about your own health than the 'health' of your tank, therfore, if you can't see your health, you shouldn't see your vehicle's health.  Of course, once you get out of the vehicle and start repair it you will see its health - this I think should stay as it represents you having a detailed check of the engine and other essential areas.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-11-2009, 04:11:37 »
I just want tanker uniforms.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16-11-2009, 04:11:24 »
I think a detailed damage system is possible in BF2

Afaik, in PR, you could disable a tank by shooting on its tracks. Would be cool if you could disable tracks, turrets or stop it by shooting in the engine.. but i think we will never see this feature in Fh2..

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16-11-2009, 07:11:02 »
I wanna keep it. It's hard to know the condition of your tank as it is. + there are much more un-needed stuff in the HUD that we could remove before this one  :-\

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #10 on: 16-11-2009, 08:11:10 »
Cant we make the bar only appear upon repair ? I mean, there is no bar in general, but if you get out and start repairing it the bar would show up. Like if you sit on the back of the tank and repair it.

Would simulate the need to get out and inspect the tank to know the actual damage it took :)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16-11-2009, 10:11:42 »
I like this suggestion.

only German tankers need to look at their health, I won't look at my health as a Sherman tanker anyway.

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16-11-2009, 11:11:46 »
@ Henry, you mean in Normandy right?
I'm all in for immersion.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-11-2009, 12:11:12 »
i like the idea of disabling tanks.. maybe ven turn off the engine to Really utalize the ambush ability (engine noise and smoke from exhaust off)

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-11-2009, 12:11:07 »
Healthbars aren't the most accurate way of portraying damage. Too bad the game doesn't have "localized" damage. Ea rather then having one healthcounter every part would have it's own healthcounter. So if you hit a bodypart (say the left arm) the health of this arm drops but the rest remains "undamaged". If certain crucial bodyparts are hit (drop below X health) you die, just as if too many bodyparts overall are hit (ea you're bleeding out all over the place). Ditto with vehicles: You're turret could be all shot up, perhaps even seize to function but the tank (hull)  would be alright.  In such a manner you could damage (disable) skirts, tracks, the engine and so on... if only.   IF this were the case you could show an icon (isometric or orthographic views) that show the (estimated)  damage for each section.  Ea you can see that you're left arm is badly damaged, your left track has taken a beating and so on...  

But since we don't have this (tracks can only be disabled if they are set to reduce the health from 100 to 10%, at that percentage a vehicle becomes disabled thus it looks like localized damage) the silly, arcady 'one overall healthcounter' means you can only have one overall healthbar (hud icon) aswell.   For infantry, well, most of the time they are killed outright so the healthbar was easily removed there. Tanks can take multiple beatings depending on where they are hit so the healthbar would still be needed there.

So unless the engine can magically be made to supported more advanced damage systems (ea taking angles into account, seperate sections and all that to determine if a shell penetrated into the the main hull and killing all the crew  and blablabla)  the bar serves it's purpose. The suggestion to only make it appear when you look at it with a wrench (or actual attempt to repair) it sounds fine though to me.  But it will always be a trade off. Some damage one could never notice from inside the tank (ea a light was knocked off, the exaust pipe damaged, penetrated skirts and so on) but others would be notivable, be it by the nakd eye or just by the handling of the tank.