Author Topic: How to make an Eastern Front map  (Read 23966 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: How to make an Eastern Front map
« Reply #105 on: 23-08-2016, 18:08:29 »
Hi!
The updated version of the map has been out for 2 months now: What are your impressions of it? Does it play better? Is it more balanced? Do you look forward to it appearing in the rotation?

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 23-08-2016, 23:08:48 »
I haven't gotten the chance to play it as much as others, but I think the update really helped. Judging by the times I've played it, and your videos ;) the Russians seem to have an easier time.

I personally don't enjoy the long range infantry play too much, not entirely my style OR (more likely) I can never get enough teamwork to make it enjoyable. I haven't tried leading a squad on it since the update tho. I always look forward to it because it looks amazing, but more often than not i find myself getting shot from enemies that I'm surprised about and it's kinda frustrating.

I don't think I've gotten the hang of the map yet. I'm sure the more I play it the more I'll enjoy it. :)

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 25-08-2016, 19:08:55 »
I think the changes made to the map really improved both balance and gameplay. Before the patch I just used to camp at the Valley of Death flag (my favorite flag in the map, since I love tank vs at-gun and crater-to-crater fights), raking up kills in the PaK 40 with impunity. Now it is much more intense, infantry usually flanks through the north and forces me to either cover the road or the forest.

I've been seeing Russians succeed more often now on the map, although I can't really say what it feels like to attack since Lady Luck has placed me in the German team every time, IIRC.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 25-08-2016, 21:08:18 »
I love the new maps, but they are rarely on when I am playing online.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 25-08-2016, 21:08:16 »
I love the new maps, but they are rarely on when I am playing online.

Then you must be playing at very odd hours, because during EU primetime the new maps are on every evening.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 25-08-2016, 21:08:52 »
Then you must be playing at very odd hours, because during EU primetime the new maps are on every evening.

Must be so. Gotta check the servers later in the evening.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 26-08-2016, 14:08:00 »
I've noticed the best time to play is like from 8 till 12 in the evening, finnish time.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 26-08-2016, 21:08:34 »
« Last Edit: 03-03-2019, 14:03:49 by nysä »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 26-08-2016, 22:08:14 »
This topic is about Dukla Pass, isn't it?  ???

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Dukla Pass 2.0
« Reply #114 on: 13-12-2016, 15:12:27 »
Hi,
I did a large overhaul of Dukla Pass, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4rNAytuI4

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 13-12-2016, 19:12:24 »
I'm glad to see the issue where the Germans got stuck in their base addressed. It was pretty much impossible to come back from losing Valley of Death and stables.

Will there be any push mode implemented? 5 flags is pushing what you can reasonably have open at once on a public server in my opinion, and even with only 4 I've had games where we captured Farmstead or Stables with zero resistance because no Germans spawned there at the start of the round.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 13-12-2016, 20:12:34 »
I like these changes and I think they'll really improve gameplay overall. My biggest problem with this map was how hard it was to play as infantry.

Will there be any push mode implemented? 5 flags is pushing what you can reasonably have open at once on a public server in my opinion, and even with only 4 I've had games where we captured Farmstead or Stables with zero resistance because no Germans spawned there at the start of the round.

I haven't had a game where I've experienced this problem yet. But I only get to play on the weekends when the server is mostly full :P

I think push might cause some hardcore bottlenecks tho, since it was designed as conquest. If anything, the update will hopefully concentrate fighting along that axis of 3-4 flags along the river.

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 13-12-2016, 20:12:58 »
Nice, hopefully the two halves of the map will feel much more connected now. As a German infantryman it was very hard to get to the Kruzlova flags without getting sniped from afar. Also good job on the river part, it is very annoying to get killed while trying to climb a seemingly-ok bank.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 13-12-2016, 20:12:07 »

I haven't had a game where I've experienced this problem yet. But I only get to play on the weekends when the server is mostly full :P

I think push might cause some hardcore bottlenecks tho, since it was designed as conquest. If anything, the update will hopefully concentrate fighting along that axis of 3-4 flags along the river.

It's rarely a problem, in the current form it definitely wouldn't benefit from a push mode. I more thinking along the lines of making the new flag an uncap until the Soviets captured at least one of the flags around it, since otherwise it can get boring defending these rear flags that don't see much action.

I'm also probably a bit biased because the CMP maps have been getting played on the public servers, and a couple of them suffer rather badly from having too many flags open at once.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 13-12-2016, 22:12:29 »
From my point of  view, Im not too happy with some of it. I dont attack you Ts, you are from my point best mapper FH2 has because I cant believe how natural and real Dukla and Ogledow are. Just WOW. So this is my point and my opinion and want to say it.

It is good that inf finally got some cover over upper map and other part. Just for me now map losed little part of it that was so special. IMO too much  hedgrowes that remind me on Normandy so much I cant describe. Before this there was AFAIK no any hedgrowes which created atmosphere of Eastern Europe so great. I was mostly how there are now hedgrowes directly at end of forest at north of map which clearly doesnt fit at all to it. Maybe more other bushes or stones or diches instead. But OK about them.
That centre part of map was  open and clear and it was awsome for tank battles. I had actually many tank battles with my panther hitting all away up to top of hill. That was magnificent. Now new flag and huge amount of overgrowth at river will stop that at western part of map  and what I think was point of map- tanks need to clear way for inf. Now ofcourse in public server that doesnt work, but I think that more bushes and overgrowth and better walkable river or some more forest near river could do the thing. Now IMO it is little akward and normandiest .
More points for inf to cross river is great and will be key update for map that it needed. But I think that only more tank crossing that map needed is IMO that one that leads from Valley trough forest to west of Farm. That new one that leads from Valley to New Flag is not need and will ruin german main contraattack route that was safe on western part from river.And Im not really fund of that new flag which is huge,I wish it is smaller.

Now,before you attack me,I cant really judge much before release and trying it,but this is what I see from video. I hope Ts will see my point.
« Last Edit: 13-12-2016, 22:12:50 by Ivancic1941 »
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear