Author Topic: Proper gunsounds / Deploying MG:s on elevated surfaces.  (Read 1457 times)

Offline rich9000

• View Profile
This topic i write as a huge FH fan all the way back to the original 1942 version. That being said i have huge expectations of the upcoming 2.50 version.

I would really like to see all realistic gunsounds, especially for the 900rpm PPSH-41 :P. The other thing I've been contemplating since FH2 was first released years ago is "Why haven't you guys" found it to be a necessity to be able to deploy your machingun like the MG-42 or Browning M1919 on a sandbag wall or from a window??? When it is quite clear it will make the game into so much more of a dynamic war experience!

Best Regards, [Panz]Sturmf111.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Proper gunsounds / Deploying MG:s on elevated surfaces.
« Reply #1 on: 15-11-2015, 19:11:46 »
The other thing I've been contemplating since FH2 was first released years ago is "Why haven't you guys" found it to be a necessity to be able to deploy your machingun like the MG-42 or Browning M1919 on a sandbag wall or from a window??? When it is quite clear it will make the game into so much more of a dynamic war experience!
It is not possible to code it in a refractor engine properly. You can only make weapons be deployable in standing position, but they cannot interact with statics, and that means you will be able to "deploy" your MG in air as well, not only behind a cover like a sandbag or in a window.

Also, this topic was discussed dozens of times in the past, please use search button next time, before you will suggest anything: How to: Suggestions - Read Before Posting

Offline rich9000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-11-2015, 19:11:05 »
Gotcha! Thanks for the quick reply. Now I don't have to sit thinking about it everytime I get shot in the ass.

"Damn I could have shot that guy if only i could fire my lmg whilst running like John Basilone in the pacific!"

;D
« Last Edit: 15-11-2015, 19:11:57 by rich9000 »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-11-2015, 19:11:56 »
Gotcha! Thanks for the quick reply. Now I don't have to sit thinking about it everytime I get shot in the ass.

"Damn I could have shot that guy if only i could fire my lmg whilst running like John Basilone in the pacific!"

;D

That's why MG gunner class always got the sidearm! Use your pistol in close quarters situations, and stop relying on hollywood productions. ;)

Btw, you can hip fire some lighter weapons like BAR, Bren, ZB26, FG42, upcoming DP28, DT and finnish Lahti LMG.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-11-2015, 21:11:31 »
I said it two (or was it three?  ::)) years ago, and I'll say it again. Deploying MGs in thin-air >> deploying nowhere. The current maps and gameplay are waaay too limited because of the stubbornness of the devs on what is essentially a minor visual issue and not in any way game-breaking.

Both PR and FHSW have proved that a "less than perfect" approach can work and still be decently fun to play.

Nice to know that the DP will keep the hipfire feature demonstrated in the last animation video though.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline rich9000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-11-2015, 22:11:44 »
I know dude, can't rely on HW productions like the pacific. :P

Still though how cool would it be to spray with an MG-42 from the hip, or takin aim with it by help of another german soldier who can rest the MG on his shoulder while the gunner has to make a split second decision.

Project Reality made it possible to mount weapons with bipods on any surface practically. My thought was if the PR team could do that I can't see why the FH2 dev team can't do the same.

:D
« Last Edit: 16-11-2015, 01:11:20 by rich9000 »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16-11-2015, 13:11:08 »
Project Reality made it possible to mount weapons with bipods on any surface practically. My thought was if the PR team could do that I can't see why the FH2 dev team can't do the same.

It uses the exact system what jan_kurator explained here:

It is not possible to code it in a refractor engine properly. You can only make weapons be deployable in standing position, but they cannot interact with statics, and that means you will be able to "deploy" your MG in air as well, not only behind a cover like a sandbag or in a window.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-11-2015, 14:11:37 »
And the system works great, only small drawbacks (which are small, making yourself a standing target in the open doesn't make it exploitable.) for a great improvement in MG class playability is definitely a no-brainer. Pretend it models the shoulder firing, just without the other soldier :D

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16-11-2015, 14:11:59 »
We did test the system but I cant recall why it wasnt completed. It worked just fine and made the MG34 for example a nice offensive support weapon when you were storming farmyards as you could put the MG up on a low wall and cover the advance of your buddies or indeed put it up in a window for unpredictable defensive element. I personally like the idea but I cant say why it wasnt implemended back then.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16-11-2015, 14:11:31 »
Two reasons:
1. No manpower to retroactively apply it to all mgs back then (this was pre-2.46 when FH2 was scraping by just so).
2. It made MGs too powerful an alternative to smgs.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16-11-2015, 14:11:59 »

Give them 0.05 limit and voila - problem solved!

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16-11-2015, 16:11:16 »

Can it be limited FHSW style then? In deployed mode you can't actually move, only crouch/go prone. So it's not possible to run and gun with MGs... I know it's not very realistic, but then again everyone going Rambo is not realistic either...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16-11-2015, 16:11:49 »
Don't think that is codable.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-11-2015, 16:11:58 »
Shame... I seem to remember PRs heavy MGs offer only the ironsights option for aiming properly, and you can't actually move very fast while doing it. Would that be enough to limit Rambo spammers?

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-11-2015, 16:11:24 »
Could you make it so that it has an exceptionally long time to be brought up to aim while standing or crouching?  That way people would only do it in cover.