Author Topic: Suggestion - VOIP between opposing teams  (Read 873 times)

Offline Nikkopasqua

• View Profile
Suggestion - VOIP between opposing teams
« on: 21-07-2018, 09:07:17 »
This is a copy/paste of a post of mine from the 762 forum, I don't know which is the more active so I double posted this. I hope I am not breaking any rule and if that is the case do not hesitate to take this down.

Hello everyone!

It is been a while now in this FH2 world, and I must say I enjoyed every bit of it. Gameplay is awesome, community is supportive when it needs to be supportive and autistic when it needs to be autistic.

Recently I played various games that have VOIP between opposite teams / players and I realized it enriches the gameplay by a lot. I will mention Rust but Holdfast: Nations at War is the one that made me realize how cool it could be to be able to speak to the enemy team. In Holdfast I have seen people surrendering, officers screaming orders / encouragements to their fellow soldiers and the fact that the enemy team (if close enough) could hear them created many funny moments that still to this day brings tears to my eyes (because of laughter)

My question is: Is it possible to make VOIP hearable to everybody in game, with proper distance settings etc?
I have seen there are 2 different VOIP channels now, one for the squad and one for the squadleaders and commander. How hard would it be to make a VOIP channel the way I described?

Anyone else here thinks this might be a cool idea?

Have a nice day!

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion - VOIP between opposing teams
« Reply #1 on: 21-07-2018, 20:07:04 »
I have no clue if this could be implemented, because I don't know enough about the BF2 engine and it's limits.

What I do know, is that we have a subforum called "Suggestions" and it's there for a reason :)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-07-2018, 21:07:53 »
I don't think it's possible in engine, but it could be easily done with Mumble integration in the official installer. ( an unofficial trial run was conducted by 762 but the interest was weak, maybe by including it in the community map pack it would be better now)

However, some devs dislike Mumble because they believe it breaks immersion. I think it could be good for attracting new players, including some experienced folks from FHT/WaW and PR ( I have seen with my own eyes some PR guys diss FH2 in chat because of lack of quality VOIP) but it could potentially also drive out some old-timers.

Ultimately, it's up to the devs to decide.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-07-2018, 00:07:29 »
These VOIP vs. Mumble discussions are based on ignorance.

First of all, you cannot here the other team on PR or FH2 Mumble.  Maybe you could in the early days or maybe you can configure it that way on a server, if you want to.  I've never experienced it.  I've only heard stories about the "early days".

Mumble is simply superior to VOIP in quality and the addition of "positional" audio that allows you to talk to any teammate in the vicinity.   

VOIP is simply already integrated and doesn't require server support.

As to talking to the enemy, I think it is a bad idea.
Integrating Mumble into FH2 is a great idea.

Offline Nikkopasqua

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-07-2018, 10:07:07 »
@Slayer Sorry I missed that subforum, I will not do that mistake in the future  :-\

@LuckyOne @GeoPat After a quick read Mumble seems a good software to implement in the game. Solely for the fact that you'll hear your team mates as well instead of only the squad you're into. And also the fact Mumble works with the positioning of the players sounds awesome  ;D
Of course I have no experience in modding (?) an eingine so please read this as a suggestion and not a request.

@Geopat Why do you think it wouldn't be a good idea to be able to hear the enemy team as well?

Any devs here that can actually give us a hint of what it would actually take to implement such a change, what are the dangers and if it was tried in the past (unsuccessfully) ?

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-07-2018, 10:07:00 »
I'm not a dev but I remember that Mumble with enemy chat enabled was tried in PR and for that mod it did not work out because of a lot of trolling over enemy chat.

I do however think that it would be fine in FH2 as at least for the "every day" servers, the gameplay is not that tactical and some taunting over mumble would maybe add to it. Mumble however in general only works if it is enforced by the server admins. That is the way it works in PR at least. You get kicked from every PR server if you don't have Mumble running which is less of a problem these days as it starts with the launcher already.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Nikkopasqua

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-07-2018, 14:07:14 »
@Nighthawk I also think that mumble in the way you described it would be a lot of fun in the public servers.

"which is less of a problem these days as it starts with the launcher already" are you saying that is easy to install / add?

Just think of what a man can do when he can speak with the other team. Trying to get people to surrender, fake/bait the tankers out of their tank or simply charging while screaming in the mic.  Think of the roleplay! People could help planes taxing in the airfields, more effectively sharing things like ammo (thinking of omaha beach) and many other things... oh, I am dreaming already.

Anyway I will start to bring up this idea in the server while we play, and maybe write a couple of mail to the big bosses and see what are their opinions.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22-07-2018, 17:07:33 »
Think of the roleplay!
I'm sorry, but this gives me the creeps. If you want roleplay, please try WoW or something. FH2 is not for roleplay.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-07-2018, 18:07:54 »
request for individual player mute button  ;D

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-07-2018, 07:07:15 »
@Nighthawk I also think that mumble in the way you described it would be a lot of fun in the public servers.

"which is less of a problem these days as it starts with the launcher already" are you saying that is easy to install / add?

It's completely integrated.  If you install Project Reality, it is there and runs everytime you launch you game.
The experiment with FH2 Mumble required separate installation and you had to launch it before launching the game.  We couldn't get enough players to bother to do it.

Just think of what a man can do when he can speak with the other team. Trying to get people to surrender, fake/bait the tankers out of their tank or simply charging while screaming in the mic.  Think of the roleplay! People could help planes taxing in the airfields, more effectively sharing things like ammo (thinking of omaha beach) and many other things... oh, I am dreaming already.

None of these ideas are even part of this mod AFAIK.  There is no surrender option.  Why would a tanker get out of the tank?  He could never hear you anyway over the tank noise.  You can't give ammo to infantry.  planes don't taxi except on some badly designed maps.  I could only see trolling with a talk to the enemy option.  Maybe the Devs could change some of the voice commands to be more directed toward the enemy.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-07-2018, 21:07:58 »
The only reason devs don't want to integrate official FH2 Mumble I know of is that they cannot provide a 24/7 working and stable server to support it, hence the idea was scrapped. I honestly never heard of this:

However, some devs dislike Mumble because they believe it breaks immersion.
The opposite, I remember devs and testers testing it and most people liked the idea few years ago. It didn't work due to technical reasons at the time, but it's 2018 and those may be outdated anyway.

I would love to see it added so more people will use it in game. I only disliked in the past because there was never anyone online when I wanted to test it on a public server, and after a while [762] Mumble server went down I never used it again  :'(
« Last Edit: 23-07-2018, 21:07:12 by jan_kurator »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-07-2018, 21:07:28 »
Gotta start a donation drive to run a good mumble service I suppose.  :P

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-07-2018, 17:07:47 »
Last I checked, Devs don't provide any kind of server.  It would be up to the public servers to do it.  It would just help if it was integrated.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-07-2018, 18:07:59 »
Last I checked, Devs don't provide any kind of server.  It would be up to the public servers to do it.  It would just help if it was integrated.
That's exactly the reason why they never wanted to intergrate it. What's the point of adding a feature that's not officially supported? When "FH2 Mumble" was still a thing, [762] provided a server for it.

Offline Nikkopasqua

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26-07-2018, 15:07:46 »
Allright guys, to sum this up:

- Mumble is supported in BF2 eingine
 - Mumble doesn't need to be installed by the players
 - Mumble was already proposed in the past and people were reacting positively to that idea but it was scrapped because of potato server
 - Now the server is still potato or is it able to run mumble?

Honestly I find that Mumble could be a great addition to FH2. And maybe I am even interested in making a donation to make this real. Obviously only if someone explains me exactly how much money do they need and for what. I've heard of people making donations to the Revive project few days before they decided to close (yeah, THEY decided to close and not the EA) and got nothing back. I don't wanna be that guy.