Author Topic: Tree resistance  (Read 2564 times)

Offline therenas

• View Profile
Tree resistance
« on: 18-09-2011, 16:09:26 »
I think trees (at least the small and thin ones) should not be able to stop tank AP rounds... nothing is more annoying than fighting in the woods and seeing your 88mm shells being stopped from a tiny branch...

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
Re: Tree resistance
« Reply #1 on: 18-09-2011, 16:09:19 »
I think trees (at least the small and thin ones) should not be able to stop tank AP rounds... nothing is more annoying than fighting in the woods and seeing your 88mm shells being stopped from a tiny branch...

maybe... trees are tough you know... but nothing is more ridiculous than your shell being stopped by a piece of paper.

we also lacks multi-kill with one AP shell ... I mean, if you line up 20 Ha-gos, one 122mm AP shell from the IS2 should be able to kill a looot!

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-09-2011, 17:09:44 »
It would also be very annoying to hide in the forest and getting shot from all sides anyway. It is a lesser of two evils here.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-09-2011, 17:09:51 »
For love of god, let AP round go trough wooden fences atleast.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-09-2011, 18:09:54 »
But come to think of it, the principal behind an AP shell is to go through something and melt, killing everything inside...In other words what i think would come out of a tree if shot with an AP is nothing but shrapnel and enough toothpicks for a battalion . Of course there are exceptions (small trees and fences) which should be looked into for the same matter.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-09-2011, 18:09:35 »
Even a rifle round should penetrate all fences and most of the wall in the game... :P
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-09-2011, 18:09:12 »
Even a rifle round should penetrate all fences and most of the wall in the game... :P

Yes but it's really a LOT of work in remaking all the maps and statics to support the material penetration system...

Come to think of... Bomb shelter tents are kinda ridiculous, right?
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-09-2011, 19:09:20 »
no need to remake all maps, just change a few values in the .con to make certain materials penetrable by certain projectiles.

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-09-2011, 20:09:36 »
same changes like some version ago where you werent able to drive though fences and now you can.
same could go for small trees, sandsacks, woodenbars ect, woul dmake the game smoother for tanks

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-09-2011, 20:09:08 »
no need to remake all maps, just change a few values in the .con to make certain materials penetrable by certain projectiles.
This. It's literally just changing one or two numbers from 262 to 215 (or w/e numbers the materials use) in notepad.

Shabby cover should be just that: shabby. You can hide behind it, but it won't protect you (especially tents)
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-09-2011, 20:09:20 »
Infantry rifle bullets to penetrate up to 30cm of living pine tree.

AP shots (when solid) should go true the wood intact i think.

I do not think the future of gaming is at a point where these things are being considered though, if you want it like that then go enlist and you can play realistic battles.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-09-2011, 20:09:32 »
This. It's literally just changing one or two numbers from 262 to 215 (or w/e numbers the materials use) in notepad.

Shabby cover should be just that: shabby. You can hide behind it, but it won't protect you (especially tents)

Yeah but the thing is (at least the way I see it), on current map statics are placed to provide cover and make the maps play out in a certain way... They would have to test all the maps and replace statics where needed so the new feature does not hurt the gameplay.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-09-2011, 21:09:55 »
Beg to differ on that. You can still hide behind all of the objects, but you can't be invincible behind them.

Compare this to fixing the bullet-proof bushes from 2.0, when you could hide behind a small shrub and have a grenade explode 10cm in front of you without doing any damage. It just brings more immersion when you can MG that sniping bastard hiding behind a pile of hay.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-09-2011, 21:09:27 »
But just asking, would a bullet (or an AP shell) change direction when it hits a fence/tree?
Of course an AP shell would pass through the wood but it will change it shooting trajectory by some degree and I don't thing that is possible with the current engine.

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18-09-2011, 22:09:39 »
As much as it hurts to type this, but the bomb shelter tents need to stay the way they are. They play too important of a role, especially in the desert maps.