Poll

Should the 3. person sight while dead be modified?

Yes, it should be replaced with the 1. person sight.
28 (59.6%)
Yes, replace it with getting directly into the class selection after dead.
4 (8.5%)
Yes, a Blackscreen would be nice.
6 (12.8%)
Yes, other solution.
1 (2.1%)
No, dont change anything.
8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: 25-01-2012, 17:01:31

Author Topic: Can you replace the 3. person sight while dead?  (Read 6464 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Can you replace the 3. person sight while dead?
« Reply #15 on: 29-12-2011, 14:12:35 »
Ya. I totally agree. I want to see a death perspective 1st person view staring in a random direction i.e sky or ground or wall depending on how your corpse ends up

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29-12-2011, 15:12:12 »
So many of you guys have died because me or my friends tell to eachother where enemy is just by looking and "death screen".

"He's still in there, standing right where I was! Go go go, he isn't looking now!" *[JKRT] ajappat [Entrenchement Tool] Kelmola*

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29-12-2011, 15:12:12 »
...depending on how your corpse ends up
Don't know if that is possible. I'm afraid it is either the sky or the ground.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29-12-2011, 18:12:01 »
Black Screen, just like in PR, works wonderfully!

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29-12-2011, 18:12:00 »
A black screen would probably be the most realistic solution, however most realistic doesn't necessary mean fun for a lot of people... So I'd go with the default "look at the beautiful sky!" like in vBF2...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03-01-2012, 12:01:42 »
yup blackscreen is to PR as sky view is to Fh2... We do somewhat realistic, somewhat fun. Always should.

Black screen is just so... cold. Realistic... eeegh!

Offline Sir_Pee_Alot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05-01-2012, 17:01:19 »
A black screen would probably be the most realistic solution, however most realistic doesn't necessary mean fun for a lot of people... So I'd go with the default "look at the beautiful sky!" like in vBF2...

your dead that sould not be fun  ;D

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-01-2012, 18:01:29 »
This has been suggested for many times ... the devs would just ignore it.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11-01-2012, 19:01:50 »
ofcourse being dead should be fun. That's what separates good games from bad games. Bad games makes it boring to die, good games you have fun even though you die.

blackscreen "most realistic" jeez.... come on  ::) why? because death is like looking at a black computer screen? that is nonsense, and we dont aim to portrait death realisticly here. You dont die, you know. You are reincarnated again in a new virtual body. It's not like having a black screen is any more realistic than watching the battlefield from above, follow teammates around or watch a small segment of the teletubbies while waiting.

What matters is; what is least likely to make you turn off the game. That solution is what we will use, and the current one is the easiest one for that. Dont forget that every time you die, you're faced with a decision, if to keep playing or turn off. Clever designs like Modern Warfare keeps players interested. Bad designs make players question their true desire to keep playing.

It's like a silent deal being made each time you die, between us, and the player. And we need to sell the mod again to him, each time he dies. Where and how we make that deal, will have an impact on his decision.
« Last Edit: 11-01-2012, 19:01:51 by Natty »

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12-01-2012, 22:01:05 »
The best compromise is to have your camera fall and gets blurry. Not only more realistic, but somehow effectively removes one annoying element in gameplay (death-spotting, if you still get useful information about your enemies this way you deserve it!).

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13-01-2012, 00:01:04 »
The best compromise is to have your camera fall and gets blurry. Not only more realistic, but somehow effectively removes one annoying element in gameplay (death-spotting, if you still get useful information about your enemies this way you deserve it!).
This^
And to wait for respawn can't made be joyful. It isn't the death cam that makes people rage quitting. Most people, who I know rage quit because it is a damn difficult game, wich needs a lot of practice and experience. And to call MW a clever design is something I would heavily argue. Spawning enemies behind you and get your last killer marked with a wallhack isn't good design at all. Once more: don't mix many sold copies with good design. Good design is very taste dependend.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13-01-2012, 02:01:11 »
Unless you die a lot this boredom thing is not gonna bother you , but if you kill a lot this current death cam thing is going to bug you .

So, being killed, in theory, under the current system, is more fun than killing the enemy! LOL!

Let's use some numbers to analyze the situation:
avg deaths per round ~10 deaths = 150 seconds = 2 1/2 minutes, a small portion of a round's time
the time you fight is roughly 35 minutes per round, 14 times that of death time, 13 if you subtract your deaths. People usually bring up the minimap during their "deaths", so 15 seconds is kind of an overestimate. This should compensate for the underestimation of the amount of deaths of some players.

So if it got changed, killing a lot actually is fun without worrying much of being revenged at, while dying truly "sucks" (but not too bad as you could still look at the amazing sky or a tank drove over you or your body getting taunted).

So the question to the community is actually quite straightforward: do you want better dying experience or killing experience? Or more like, you want more time with fun or less time with fun?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13-01-2012, 08:01:28 »
I can agree that there are certain elements of interactivity during the death state. You can view the minimap, think about where to spawn and with what kit, this is the core of Battlefield.

But that isn't really a problem, and not the point of discussion is it? I thought were discussing what you see right when you die (earlier you saw yourself being propelled in to space or other side of the map).
I rather see some guys running around my corpse, kind of like the "last seconds" before you die, than to stare at some black screen or sky. Actually, to me, it is more realistic that you see 10sec before you "die". You dont die from a rifle bullet to the stomach, you could lay on the ground 30minutes before you die. Ofcourse a bullet between the eyes would provide "lights out" immediately, but in "reality", about 1/10 shots in FH2 would provide "lights out", the rest would have you laying on ground screaming in pain for many minutes.

that you can draw vital information about enemy movement which you can take advantage of in the next spawn is utter B-S, you simply don't. You see some dude running past you and whatnots, it's not like you get access to his whole tactic and can exploit. Not at all.

I remember BF1942 switched automatically to teammate-follow cam when you were dead. I liked that actually. Makes you feel a bit involved in the action, + you can see what happens, then get a small rush of anticipation before spawning. ("holy shit a tank is overrunning that flag! I better get an AT kit and help them out!") this adds to immersion.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13-01-2012, 12:01:07 »
You can in FH2, which makes the camera thing useless, come to think of it. So yer, i think Natty has a point there.

There is SOME advantage seeing yourself, but I dont think its significant enough.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13-01-2012, 13:01:55 »
I do believe that a choir of angels humming should be played when you die with an ever brightening light shining from the sky. Or if you've been tk'ing, maniacal laughter and flames everywhere.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".