Author Topic: Petition for DICE to Open Source Battlefield 2  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Rambo Medic

• View Profile
Petition for DICE to Open Source Battlefield 2
« on: 15-08-2013, 01:08:07 »
I have created a petition on change.org for DICE to open source Battlefield 2. I think that if we get enough signatures, we can at least merit some kind of response from them. Please, sign this, and share it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, anything. Seriously, every share counts, because it opens the door for more people to sign and share with their friends. If we can pass 10,000 signatures, I think it's realistic that DICE will respond in some way. Don't have the "my signature doesn't count mentality" or "my share doesn't count mentality", because it really does. If you care about FH2, and you care about the future of the mod, (such as becoming it's own game), then you would sign this. I'm from the PR community, but I know people that have played Forgotten Hope, and I've only heard amazing things about it.

For those of you that don't know what it would mean when the engine is open-sourced, it would essentially mean that the developers had free range with the engine, and that they would be able to make any change to their heart's content, including getting rid of previously unfixable bugs, greatly improving performance, implementing previously impossible features, and getting rid of existing engine limitations (such as the 8-player limit on vehicles or the massive graphical limitations that the engine imposes). Even if you have no hope for this happening, please sign this, as it costs you nothing more than 5 seconds of your time.

Click here to sign

Please copy and paste this to as many Battlefield mod communities, or clans & communities that play a battlefield mod as you can.

Communities that this has been posted to already:

Project Reality
Fallen Hope 2
4th Special Forces Group
NWA - Thanks ExeTick
« Last Edit: 16-08-2013, 00:08:05 by Rambo Medic »

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
Re: Petition for DICE to Open Source Battlefield 2
« Reply #1 on: 15-08-2013, 09:08:10 »
I signed it even though I have no doubt it will fail.
But please correct the name of this mod.
It's not Fallen Hope, it's Forgotten Hope. kthx
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-08-2013, 09:08:12 »
I'll sign, eventually, but the thing is, where will you find 10000 people (I'm not even sure there's that many people playing bf2 left, and half of them never even heard about mods)? Also it's not that simple, there are legal matters involved... It's been more than 10 years since the release of bf1942 and that (older) engine is still not open source, even though the game is now free...

Also, I'm not even sure DICE is the legal owner now, weren't they bought by EA completely?
« Last Edit: 15-08-2013, 09:08:41 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-08-2013, 11:08:56 »
Signed.

Offline Rambo Medic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-08-2013, 00:08:42 »
I'll sign, eventually, but the thing is, where will you find 10000 people (I'm not even sure there's that many people playing bf2 left, and half of them never even heard about mods)? Also it's not that simple, there are legal matters involved... It's been more than 10 years since the release of bf1942 and that (older) engine is still not open source, even though the game is now free...

Also, I'm not even sure DICE is the legal owner now, weren't they bought by EA completely?

Why do they have to open source their engines sequentially? What if more compels them to open source BF2 than 1942?

That is correct, EA is the owner as far as we know, but there are always legal issues as to who owns source code vs. who owns assets, and we (the modding community) could care less about using DICE's assets (textures, objects, models) and only care about the source code.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #5 on: 16-08-2013, 02:08:46 »
  They are still making money off this engine so I really doubt they would just give it up like that.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline colores

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-08-2013, 20:08:48 »
Signed!

Offline [QPS]_Sex_Bomb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-08-2013, 18:08:34 »
signed

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-08-2013, 19:08:32 »
This only had 100 signatures when I signed it... now it's at 750+, quite surprising since I only expected it to reach 30 or so.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-08-2013, 20:08:59 »
signed 8) can't hurt to try

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #10 on: 22-08-2013, 12:08:48 »
What I want to know, is why would any dev try to fix this limping dinosaur of an engine, when there are better tools available? PR already did ARMA, and bought CryEngine. Why would they want to still do a brain surgery on BF2? FH2 is already good as it is with all the bugs and engine limitations. And the new maps are more important than 8+ people in a vehicle that is never going to get full with the current player base.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22-08-2013, 14:08:01 »
What I want to know, is why would any dev try to fix this limping dinosaur of an engine, when there are better tools available? PR already did ARMA, and bought CryEngine. Why would they want to still do a brain surgery on BF2? FH2 is already good as it is with all the bugs and engine limitations. And the new maps are more important than 8+ people in a vehicle that is never going to get full with the current player base.

Simply because it would probably take just a few months to fix these issues as opposed to a few years that it would take to port (or better word, re-make) everything to Cry3 or ArmA3.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22-08-2013, 15:08:59 »
If you honestly think about it, Forgotten Hope 2 would look amazing in the Cryengine 3.

I guess that's why they are making Traction Wars. ;)
« Last Edit: 22-08-2013, 15:08:12 by Roughbeak »

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #13 on: 22-08-2013, 23:08:37 »
I guess that's why they are making Traction Wars. ;)
And that is why it boggles me why some FH2 devs would go work on some new mod with retarded name, and not start parallel development/porting of a much better brand name that would be FH3.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-08-2013, 23:08:45 »
And that is why it boggles me why some FH2 devs would go work on some new mod with retarded name, and not start parallel development/porting of a much better brand name that would be FH3.

And which devs would that be? AFAIK only Chad is helping them out with animations... And as far as FH3 is concerned, it's far too late for that I'd say. Other teams have stepped up and are making next-gen WWII shooters.