Author Topic: voice commands suggestion  (Read 1877 times)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
voice commands suggestion
« on: 28-09-2011, 18:09:35 »
It'd be a lot of work but could it be made such that the voices are more like real person rather than cold machine: "enemy infantry spotted" , "enemy tank spotted"...

In other video games people just scream: "Germans!" when an American soldier spotted some German soldier. I mean, for regular spotting over radio it still make sense to use the current set of voice.

This would add much immersion IMO.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: voice commands suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 28-09-2011, 18:09:01 »
Can I just be straight and blunt? Yes? OK, thank you very much:

Well, no shit. We'd LOVE to have way more realistic and more easily tailored voice sets but unfortunately the equipment to record such voice sets is beyond us and its still loads of very hard work to do such massive voice sets for every single nation in FH2, those ingame and those upcoming.

So unless we magically get a studio and GOOD voice actors, then dont hold your breath...

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-09-2011, 19:09:19 »
Wouldn't everyone love that.. it would add so much immersion, just like having better 3p animations for some weapons (e.g. Bazookas). Too bad those dreams shall never come true. :'(

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-09-2011, 14:09:14 »
There are some reasonably priced Voice-over vendors out there, but we simply lack the funds for that right now... maybe for future projects or so, but don't expect any custom voice-overs to FH2. It should have been done from day one, it would feel a bit weird adding them now, allthough it's the one thing with this Mod I feel is so lame... hearing the battlefield 1942 VO is my personal #1 immersion killer. I spent too much time modding and playing that game, and still cant seem to get away from it  :D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-09-2011, 18:09:02 »
My suggestion has always been, have volunteers from the fanbase from various nations do it.

Even here in Ghana, I can book a recording studio for an afternoon given the list of voice commands and record something.

Sure, many will suck, but take the pick of the litter and you get a pretty good bit from them

Then contact the guy who did the great ones, and get him to keep doing them

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:46 »
I will always support this idea, but "don't expect any custom voice-overs to FH2" - part, makes me sad. I have access to amateur studios of my friends and always can book a proffesional one if it will be needed.

The problem is that I'm not a good voice actor...

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:14 »
I would scream in Polish: "SZKOPY!!!"  ;D  ;D ;D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:25 »
I say rather than being a damp blanket, just let them try.

We got great feedback from the CD case competition and I'm sure fans still have some motivation to get involved for the devs....

There is nothing that helps build the community than getting people involved... AND you just MIGHT get voice overs worth using to boot.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:39 »
Does the engine even support voice commands based on the enemy team's nationality? I mean, as long as your army would fight only a single enemy, calling him by that name would surely work, but it would be rather strange hearing the Germans shouting "Russians!" in the Western Front, or the Americans shouting "Japs!" in the ETO... (Or Finns shouting "Russians!" in the highly likely Lapland War maps ;D)

As for voice quality, IMO the original voice files are not all THAT high fidelity that home microphone recordings would sound too bad compared to them. Also, given enough samples (ie. the forum community) and enough attempts I'm sure that at least somewhat believable enough voice clips could be collected to replace the sounds. Just saying, there are other mods that have custom sounds, without access to professional recording studios and/or voice talents.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:18 »
In some cases...

But then if you add the Japanese, then you cant call them Kraut, and that requires a modified voice-over set for Marines, same goes for Italians.

Don't get me started on the German voice set since the pretty much fought almost every body.

But if I ever do get back to my voice over list, I will see an ingenious way to add that, after all, it IS just the taunt that changes, as well as the 'enemy spotted' -

Even having the Americans calling ANY German tank a tiger would be an interesting addition, or at least panzer for any ally...

But it does require faith and a bit of guidance from the devs in terms of the parameters recordings can be done with i.e

file size, file type etc.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:07 »
One thing to remember that even the amount of accents in the voice talent pool is not necessarily a problem for all armies, considering that there seems to be a randomizer function in the basic engine (Charge! Courage! For the King! Etc.! all from the same button.) At the time, there were quite many first- or second-generation immigrants in the US, and Germany had Volksdeutsche, Hilfswilligen, Osttruppen, SS foreign volunteers etc.

Also, now half of the voice clips sound like they would come on the radio (ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!) and half like they were really shouted. Sometimes, this does not feel fully consistent (your SL standing next to you speaks to you via radio?). Would it not be more logical that Commander commands to SL would play out as radio calls, and vehicle crews would sound off only radio calls, while infantry would actually always shout them.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:09 »
(ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!)

that had me laughin my ass off.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-09-2011, 19:09:52 »
You want Daleks now or what?

I, for one, support new voice commands and Daleks.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-09-2011, 20:09:28 »
No, I meant that the spamming of "Enemy spotted!" sounds like Daleks (especially with the "radio chatter" added). What I suggested was some sort of logic which commands/shouts would be heard "on the radio" and which would be "shouted".

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-09-2011, 23:09:17 »
I think ALL voice overs should be spoken AND a radioed version done for vehicle users, Scouts at range, SL at range and Commanders on radio...

And if it is radio overed only the aforementioned groups should receive it... NOT everyone.