Author Topic: Ammo in FH2!  (Read 23986 times)

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo in FH2!
« Reply #15 on: 21-05-2009, 21:05:46 »
The biggest problem with the commander supply crates is that they drift off course from where the commander intended to drop them.  And the drift is different for every map (distance and direction), so no one ever hits their mark with the supply crate.  It's not that big a deal with tanks because they can just drive over to the crate, but for Static Defenses and Arty Pieces, the operators need to get a truck and push the thing to where they want it.

I'm not sure but I think it may be caused by some sort of wind setting.  Maybe this can be partially rectified by having some sort of (working) windsock near the main base commander radio (and the airfields as well for flavor and atmosphere).  That way, you can see which direction and how fast the wind is blowing and you can adjust your supply drop accordingly.  I'm fairly certain that the BF2 wind has to be the same for the whole map, so it wouldn't matter that the supply drop is in a different pace than the windsock.
« Last Edit: 21-05-2009, 21:05:08 by Ionizer »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-05-2009, 08:05:52 »
Ah this was implemented by Dice to prevent "cartillery" where the commander was able to drop buggies on top of tanks in vBF2. I don't know if this can be changed back, but I think no one though of doing so till now. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline verg_6

• Crusader MkIII for life (Until 2.2, that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-05-2009, 08:05:34 »
Ah this was implemented by Dice to prevent "cartillery" where the commander was able to drop buggies on top of tanks in vBF2. I don't know if this can be changed back, but I think no one though of doing so till now. :)
I'm guessing, seeing as it's the BF2 engine we're talking about here, that buggy landing on tanks resulted in an insta-death for whatever poor sap was below it?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-05-2009, 08:05:14 »
I'm guessing, seeing as it's the BF2 engine we're talking about here, that buggy landing on tanks resulted in an insta-death for whatever poor sap was below it?

Do I need to Answer? ;)
Quite so. :D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline verg_6

• Crusader MkIII for life (Until 2.2, that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23-05-2009, 03:05:45 »

Do I need to Answer? ;)
Quite so. :D
Gotta love it's "If something touches another thing...it equates to death" tendencies.

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #20 on: 23-05-2009, 04:05:17 »
Gotta love it's "If something touches another thing...it equates to death" tendencies.

You mean like if the tank you're standing on and repairing decides to rotate, your, suddenly lifeless, body flies into the air as if it had been been hit by a train..

yeah.. I love those :D

I'll have to agree about the commander, his magic bag of wonders dropping from the sky, full of ammo and repairs, seems not just unrealistic but annoying and serves little to the gameplay. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it and perhaps if we could code it deploy other things than ammo's and repairs (something more like spawning a glider, or setting a temporary paratrooper spawn point)

I wouldn't mind seeing an amunition spawn-kit for infantry though, instead of static defences and vehicles.. A kit with lots of small-arms ammo, that he can throw to soldiers in need ( Machine Gunners in position, Snipers, Infantry in Foxholes).. Basicly copy paste the Medic kit, but instead of bandaids, give him ammo packs..

..but I belive this has something to do with engine limitation and gameplay.. :\

so I've got nothing to complain about :)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-05-2009, 21:05:02 »

I wouldn't mind seeing an amunition spawn-kit for infantry though, instead of static defences and vehicles.. A kit with lots of small-arms ammo, that he can throw to soldiers in need ( Machine Gunners in position, Snipers, Infantry in Foxholes).. Basicly copy paste the Medic kit, but instead of bandaids, give him ammo packs..

..but I belive this has something to do with engine limitation and gameplay.. :\

so I've got nothing to complain about :)

That is exactly what the support soldier in BF2 does, being armed with a heavy MG and ammo packages.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #22 on: 23-05-2009, 22:05:43 »
That is exactly what the support soldier in BF2 does, being armed with a heavy MG and ammo packages.

yeah, only I don't want him armed with a machine gun ^^

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24-05-2009, 06:05:53 »

yeah, only I don't want him armed with a machine gun ^^

And Unlimited Boxes, ammo and Grenades. Uber pwnage in vBF2 language

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24-05-2009, 07:05:55 »
well who said that we like the Commader? only because bf2 have it we must have it at all? its just there because it was. we would never add this position from our side.

So it really is just a carry-over from BF2, a mechanic meant for a game with totally different pacing and structure...

That's the personal opinion of toddel, I think commander artillery is an awesome BF2 feature and fits perfectly in FH2 ww2 environment. But some players think is a "noob" weapon (Allah, forgive me because I have used a so stupid word), wich is an absurd statement, when I am on foot and a tank rips me to molecular parts in a so unfair way I don't yell "noob tanker", I don't whine and respawn

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24-05-2009, 07:05:10 »
That^

Commander artillery serves a great function ingame, imo.  It allows a sustained heavy barrage right when u need it as preregistered artillery.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24-05-2009, 08:05:09 »
ammo works okay, but the commander supply drop has to go. It gets rid of teamwork by eliminating the need for the ammotruck...the Bedford! that's it...

Offline Uberhauptstormfuhrer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24-05-2009, 21:05:00 »
Same: remove commander ammo drop except on airborne maps.
More points for giving ammo, especially when in a munition truck.
Add a repair truck!

But my biggest gripe with the currect ammo system is that the ammo boxes are to small to notice. So make them bigger and easier to spot please.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25-05-2009, 14:05:43 »
The ammo drop would be fine if:

- It was a smaller container:
- If it  was a metal cylinder or basket:

^ Supply drop at Oosterbeek for British Para's in September 1944, Operation Market Garden.

^A supply container landing on the Utrechtseweg, near Divisional HQ, at the Hartenstein Hotel in Oosterbeek, on Tuesday 19th September

^ A British soldier unpacking a radio container.

^ 6-pounder anti-tank gun ammunition retrieved from a supply drop. On the right is Gunner Albert Victor Hubbard, batman to Captain Norman McLeod, the Second-in-Command of the 1st Airlanding Anti-Tank Battery.

^ Soldiers of No.15 Platoon, 1st Border collect .303" ammunition boxes which were dropped inside a parapack that landed in the garden of No.16 Van Lennepweg, possibly on the 20th September.

^ Supply containers that fell short of the dropping point, scattered over the railway line.

^ A whole load of small supply crates rather then one big ass massive crate (A formation of RAF Stirlings drop supplies on Tuesday 19th as flak explodes around them).

In short: Small containers of various types, possible more ten one container (2-3) with limited types of content (ammo) per crate: Seperate crate for smallarms and heavy arms. The latter probably ain't possible on this engine though. But If the containers were smaller, supplied less ammo per individual container and were used stricly on maps were air supplies happend or were "plausible" it would make things much better IMO.

Image source: http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/frames.htm
« Last Edit: 25-05-2009, 14:05:59 by Admiral Donutz »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #29 on: 25-05-2009, 15:05:27 »
I agree with Donutz, it may stay but get rid of that vanilla box  :P
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."