Author Topic: What Makes a Good Infantry Map?  (Read 11667 times)

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
Re: What Makes a Good Infantry Map?
« Reply #60 on: 16-03-2012, 19:03:28 »
Choke points can have their place. They help focus combat and can create intense fights.  However if they are included they should also have at least one alternative route. For example. If you have a river with only one bridge on it, there should be another point where attacking players can ford the river, and hit the defenders from behind. (Unless there are some wise defenders who also defend the ford.)

If there are choke points the attacking team should also get mortars. They are perfect for breaking up the static defense around a single point.

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 17-03-2012, 12:03:02 »
Choke points can have their place. They help focus combat and can create intense fights.  However if they are included they should also have at least one alternative route. For example. If you have a river with only one bridge on it, there should be another point where attacking players can ford the river, and hit the defenders from behind. (Unless there are some wise defenders who also defend the ford.)

If there are choke points the attacking team should also get mortars. They are perfect for breaking up the static defense around a single point.

Yes but mortars can also target spawnpoints.
If theres a choke point, an APC, sniper and flametrower kit can get things done too.
I dont mind a mortar targeting chokepoints, but it could be wise to limit the mortar ammo.
Theres no point in defending if your team is getting raped by mortarfire the whole time.

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 17-03-2012, 12:03:03 »
A good infantry map could revolve around objectives like capturing AA sites, capturing ammo dumps, communication buildings, airfields, V1/V2 lauch sites etc.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 19-03-2012, 17:03:33 »
It can even be fun simply working on non-objective targets.

Like silencing a well-placed 88, taking out a bunker, a Tiger, or clearing a built-up area like Cagney, taking the church.

A combination of things in a map that make squads focus on a small piece of tactical action rather than just flag capture can make for a great infantry map.

Best 'objectives' have enemy with combination 'artillery' such as mg, mortar, cannon or trenchlines/ bunker, that need to be overcome.

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 22-03-2012, 17:03:16 »
It can even be fun simply working on non-objective targets.

Like silencing a well-placed 88, taking out a bunker, a Tiger, or clearing a built-up area like Cagney, taking the church.

A combination of things in a map that make squads focus on a small piece of tactical action rather than just flag capture can make for a great infantry map.

Best 'objectives' have enemy with combination 'artillery' such as mg, mortar, cannon or trenchlines/ bunker, that need to be overcome.

Yes but when engineers can repair a destroyed 88 in a minute, theres little reward for the attackers and defenders.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 24-03-2012, 00:03:27 »
 a full minute of watching a wrench bend back and forth isnt enough?

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 24-03-2012, 10:03:19 »
a full minute of watching a wrench bend back and forth isnt enough?

I think "boring" or not is rather subjective... I personally enjoy doing teamwork stuffs. Guess that varies from place to place, culture to culture, and personality to personality.

1. Wrenching (A)

Person A: "I am fixing this 88 I feel great that it destroyed 3 tanks after I fixed it before it blow up again, it makes my team have a better time fighting enemies, I love watching burning tanks!"

Person B: "DAMN! Why am I doing such pointless job holding down the LMB just to get this 88 working? I am supposed to aim at enemy and shoot them like killing rats in my household with sticks."

2. Wrenching (B)

Person A: "That tank is damaged! I have a wrench! Let's go fix it so it can cover my squad's advance later on this minute."

Person B: "That tank is damaged! Let's go fix it so I can getting points be covered. Damn bf developers, they should make the tank regenerate health so I don't have to do this boring job."

3. Anti-Wrenching

Person A: "We have cornered that tank! Muwhaha, spam grenade and MG, don't let them repair it, James, go finish it off with your satchel charge, HUH? WHAT? WHY THE TANK IS STILL STANDING?"

Person B: "Yay I just drive it here and stop moving I could become useful again. Forget about those stupid grenades and MGs around me, muwhaha they don't have AT weapons they cannot stop me regaining strength and slay them later."

4. Artillery spotting

Person A: "It is fun watching targets I reported getting blown up! This is my profession!"

Person B: "If it were for the insane points given this is a really boring job. I am supposed to own them with my epic rifle skills, stupid teammates they just won't spot to help me doing my job..."

5. Driving

Person A: "Someone have to take the lead and drive the truck of teammates to battle safely."

Person B: "Damn no hell the driver usually got shot first."

6. APC MG gunner

Person A: "My job is to shoot those bastards and let them know not to mess with our APC."

Person B: "That position sucks I will just die without a kill."

If we have a lot of type A in FH2, I'll be glad. But I am afraid type B is the majority.

(Secret: I act like A when I find a good team to serve, I act mostly like B when the team is complete trash)
« Last Edit: 24-03-2012, 11:03:20 by General_Henry »

Offline Playah

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 25-03-2012, 13:03:12 »
First of all, im going to list my favorite maps.

- Port en Bessin
I like urban + forest together. PeB does it well, also i like really much if there are trenches in the map.

- Purple Heart Lane
Perfectly wide to be a "flag after flag" map. Dont remember the name for those maps.. :x Only thing what i dont like about the map is the choke point. The bridge no4.

- Ramelle Neuville
Intense urban firefight. First 4 flags, best gameplay what i have ever seen. You never know where you gonna get shot and the massive attack on 64 players.. Tho imo tiger is too op in this map. Also german base is too close to the town. Also maybe some trenches front of the town and at guns + halftracks to get the germans in. Rest of the map gets boring.

- Lebisey
There are so many tanks, but still inf's can kill them easly, atleast i can. Thanks to trees and shrubs.

- Falaise Pocket
Good combination BUT, artillery makes it annoying as hell.

- Hurtgen Forest
Too wide for the defenders. Otherwise i like it.

What i think does a good inf map is;

- Less vehicles the better. Tho i prefer 1 tank and 1 halftrack combination. The tank would be vulnerable and the terrain makes it easy to destroy. Tho if it's used correctly it can be a big advance.

- No choke points
- No artillery
- Limited grenades
- Urban and forest mixed
- Trenches
- Not too wide or narrow map. Dont wanna get the feeling of a choke point. If map is too wide it feels boring if you cant see your teammates time to time.
- If there are tanks, the terrain must be on the inf's side. Much cover, bumbs, bushes, trees, trenches etc.
- "Flag after flag maps".

Offline Rabid_Rabbit_RI

• Trogdor strikes in the NIGHT!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 26-03-2012, 10:03:19 »
I always find that a really good infantry map ratios its choke points to the amount of artillery present on the map. (Lets say three choke points per mortar) and replaces rifle grenades and tanks with LMG emplacements and armored cars. I feel that Battle of Brest really captures these elements well and Giarabub is probably the best at this.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 30-03-2012, 20:03:13 »
A good infantry map in my opinion is one where one side is 2x stronger then the other. I like a bit of a challenge, makes getting a kill all the more satisfying. Mount Olympus 16, good example of this. Maps like Gazala 16 where both sides are equal to each other gets rather boring after awhile.