Author Topic: ESAI: FH2 Edition  (Read 34558 times)

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
Re: ESAI: FH2 Edition
« Reply #195 on: 09-05-2011, 01:05:39 »
Quote from: Djinn
However, Gazala's issue is that it should be a highly mechanized battle with infantry heavily mounted on armor, bailing at the flag and assaulting the boxes.

I'll have to take a look at the strategy for Gazala. A sufficient amount of time has elapsed for me to have forgotten the details of the code I wrote for it.

If bots are not bailing at the flags, the CP vehicle order positions might be in need of tweaking. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #196 on: 09-05-2011, 19:05:27 »
Hi all,

I've got ESAI listed at moddb now.

Edit:

Not sure if FH2 version needs to bee there yet.

« Last Edit: 20-05-2011, 07:05:46 by Void »

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 09-05-2011, 19:05:58 »
 Link is bad.

Here is a good link:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/esai-enhanced-strategic-ai

;)

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #198 on: 11-05-2011, 18:05:37 »
Just a quick note to all the folks who are using my work:

I don't expect all of you to jump in and comment. I've learned better, lol. However, now that all my stuff is graciously hosted by BFSP, I have no way of knowing how many of you have downloaded anything I post on this board. Could be 100, could be 1. Only the battlefield singleplayer FTP admin knows for sure,and I'm not going to be bothering him to find out.

Therefore, I encourage anyone with negative / positive feedback to please post their experiences. This would help me get an idea of the size of the ESAI:FH2 user base, but more importantly it would help make ESAI:FH2 better.

Short version: The more you all put in to this, the more you all will get out of it.

peace.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 11-05-2011, 18:05:18 »
Tried your ESAI v2.5 in Goodwood.

They all run better, small bot behavior issues that were not ESAI issues, but overall the ESAI address this by giving them more direction.

Right now I can see more fights in Cagny, in changes hand so many times. Although I hate town fighting CQBs, but this is what the AI supposed to be, and this is near-perfect! Just awesome! I love how the Germans, being pressed by British armor, fought relentlessly until driven back to towns and killed the tankers one-by-one using up-close and personal explosive pack (like Gebalte Ladung) or Panzerfausts. It is very effective so far.

The nebelwerfer and British arty is working very well, the battlefield are kept alive by constant MG fire, arty shells, and rockets flying all over the place. This behavior could be influenced by ESAI making the conflict flowing smoothly. Previously, bots often wandered around and mindlessly prioritize themselves in attacking any objects they see first rather than obeying "capture flag" order. So battlefield was alive, but strategically mindless, as they only wanted to kill instead of securing objectives.

Thanks void, this is definitely a must-have addon for FH2 SP fans!

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 11-05-2011, 22:05:50 »
Hi. I also testes some ESAI Maps (and some with no ESAI). First I want to say thank you for this great work. I'am following this singleplayer project since  a long time ago, what was caused by the missing internet connection. Now I have internet, and mostly you can find me on the servers. But yesterday I thought, it was time to test something new. So lets come to my feedback:

Operation Goodwood (64): Best version of this map, I have ever played against AI. Nearly all static assets are used by the AI and the allied forces are using realy all assets. The only thing I got to admit. With this version the map is losing a bit of it's concept (mixture of tank and infantry warfare), what is caused by the fact, that Axis AI is not spwaning on tanks (what should prevent them from getting stucked at the bridges and railway, I guess).

Villers Bocage: Realy nice, after a time there i kind of stalemate situation. The only (dunno whether I should say) "negative" thing might me the strenght of the static mg 42 positions -> No human player can take this positions out, no matter what range. I'am speaking of infantry weapons (like snipers). They kill you straight over a very long range. I tried to snipe the mg on G2 from the church, it is impossible. I have to admit, that I am alway playing against the hardest bots :).

Operation Luttich: The new map layout with the additional flags is IMO better than the original one. It brings a better flow into the map and gives the americans the possibility not to get pushed back to fast. A good thing is, that nearly every area of the map gets "touched" with fight.

Mareth Line: I think this map is still too complex for human players, so it will be very hard to give it a good flow with AI. After taking the first 3 flags, the bots don't know, what to do. They are ignoring the command bunker, what can only be taken by 2 or more ppl. At this point the fight nearly stops.

Siege of Tobruk: One of my favorite maps in fh2 also in the good old days in bf 1942 (was the first bf map, I played :)). There is still the bug with the bots getting stucked in the tank at the axis main base flag. Also the allied bots should use all static assets to defend, otherwise it's to easy for the german. I played without the GPO files, so maybe this will help a lot.

So this was all about the ESAI testing I made. Also played Longues Sur Mer, what was realy nice. The Axis should maybe the beach a littlebit more. I testes the skirmish maps with AI. There is a lot of navmeshing needed. The bots get stuck on several objects (too many to show screenshots and give examples). Last but not least was Siege of Tobruk Night: Very Epic Battle with an immersive feeling caused by the bullet tracers. It is something, I have never experienced in a shooter before on this way. The devs should think about it, to take it in an official release.

So that was a lot of feedback, but I hope it will help you ;). And plz keep up the good work

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #201 on: 11-05-2011, 23:05:11 »
Thanks for the feedback so far, it really is helpful. I would like to address one comment in particular:

Villers Bocage: Realy nice, after a time there i kind of stalemate situation. The only (dunno whether I should say) "negative" thing might me the strenght of the static mg 42 positions -> No human player can take this positions out, no matter what range.

Please people - constructive criticism, or what 5hitm4k3r has called "negative" feedback, is a good thing. I will not lie - I am always pleased when someone is happy with my work and says something nice about it, and such comments are good for the old motivation factor. However, mature criticism and analysis shows me where I can make improvements, and there is always room for improvement I think.

I still don't play FH2 on the ground nearly as much as I watch the bots traverse the overhead map, so I rely on your "reports from the front" to get a feel for how I have changed the game play.

No one should be afraid to post negative feedback. I'm an adult; I will not be upset in the slightest.
« Last Edit: 11-05-2011, 23:05:23 by Void »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 11-05-2011, 23:05:11 »
Well, Villers is a pain in ass for real with mg positions - Add my GPO and it becomes even MORE of a pain with more static AT positions than awkward mobile AT guns

but for the church mg, and this is a small piece from the Ultimate Guide I haven't yet decided to make - You need to cross the river near the low wall when the army makes it main assault. There may be scary close shots from mg, even HE and shooters, but you do it. Don't bother engaging the church mg, or he WILL return fire.....

Go along that diagonal buff to his left where he only gets a few seconds to hit you. Take out the trench mg. You can get him at close range before he sees you... then flank the church...

By this time, you squad should all be dead, and will spawn on you somewhere near the mortar at earliest. They will then make their way to take the church and can take out the church mg from close range - or you can climb up and drop a sachel

ALL maps, more so with AI, have a number of paths that work - They aren't cheats, and it does rely heavily on luck and skill in moving from cover to cover - But each map has a a way.

In Mareth, on either side, you need to break that stalemate - leading the offensive. Bots will often have difficulty taking Mareth. You need to tip those odds. Once it falls, a quick assault on the town (Not Gabe), will allow you to springboard to the gap and finally to Gape where the real slogfest begins....

Many of these are real world tactics - Not just with you as an inidividual, but with you leading the battle. I never play commander, but it does work if a smart squad leader can exploit opportunities, be it poor defenses of an otherwise well-defended area, a flank situation, or a major army pushfoward, in order to focus the enemy AI else where...

It worked in 42, but it works like a charm in FH2...

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 12-05-2011, 04:05:47 »
On Goodwood particularly though. The German AI still can't cross the railroad freely, their armor isn't just there to help when it spawned.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 12-05-2011, 11:05:19 »
@djinn: I know, that it is possible to take out the church mg easily, especialy from the sides or the rear. That was not the point, I wanted to mention ;). What I meant, was the situation, that you can shoot the mg gunner down from a long distance with a sniper rifle for example, as it is mostly possible in multiplayer against humans. To have this against bots, would make it feel better I think. Maybe you can add a time space, until the AI starts to fire with the mg. This would give you a chance, to look out from the cover for a short time and try a single shot. To set up such a time would give you a little chance but also punish you, when you try tu run over the open field. A think that came to my mind about Villers was the fact, that the Allied Forces aren't trying to flank the germans over the flanks (in this case the bridges) -> I guess, thats the reason for the stalemate.

About Mareth I have to say, that I played as a Squadmemder, just to see, whether the battle gets her own dynamic (just by the AI) and without the initiative of me as a human player. And as I mentioned, there was the problem, that the Allied forces didn't really recognice the command bunker. And at this point the battle stopped. I mostly maned a plane in this round.

I think I will try your GPO files next week, Djinn, when I have some more. I think that's, what is missing a bit on siege of tobruk. I remember  the time, I played it with the AIvehicletweaks.zip and the other tweak-file (don't know the name) a long time ago. This battle realy got her own dynamic and felt just awesome.

I got the question about the AIvehicleTweak.zip in your upload section Djinn: Do they have an influence, when I place them in the mod folder? I think I need the init.con or another additional file. With other words, can I use them to improve the gameplay in singleplayer/ are they working with the ESAI?

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #205 on: 12-05-2011, 17:05:31 »
I got the question about the AIvehicleTweak.zip in your upload section Djinn: Do they have an influence, when I place them in the mod folder? (SNIP).... With other words, can I use them to improve the gameplay in singleplayer/ are they working with the ESAI?

ESAI will work with any other FH2 AI tweaks you might find, so long as you are not trying to use something that involves Strategic AI code. As far as I can tell there are very few people still writing SAI Scripts, and I haven't seen any such projects targeted at FH2.

I'm not the only person around that knows how to write Strategic AI Scripts,but I may be the last person actually doing it. Really I am not sure about that - it would be great to meet someone still working in this area, because it would be nice if the ESAI dev team expanded to have more than one member.

If there are any SAI coders lurking about, feel free to contact me if you would like to be a part of the ESAI project.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #206 on: 13-05-2011, 02:05:58 »
EDIT: Ignore This Post

Today I discovered someone redistributing ESAI Standard Edition for profit. {insert profanity}  If you know anything at all about this project, you know that is strictly forbidden. It is the only thing you can't do with my work.

The persons responsible have been dealt with. ;)

Nevertheless I felt compelled to remove all download links to ESAI standard. It will be back as soon as possible.

ESAI:FH2 Edition will still be available for download, as no one has yet tried to use it to scam people out of their money.

Be advised that the above could change without notice.

« Last Edit: 13-05-2011, 11:05:24 by Void »

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 13-05-2011, 07:05:17 »
Yeah you do that Void!! FXXKing Scammers!!!

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #208 on: 13-05-2011, 09:05:15 »
Then don't use GPL. That allows selling of code as long as open sourced code is packaged.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #209 on: 13-05-2011, 10:05:22 »
I have decided to just give up on trying to protect it legally. There are issues with EA technically owning the rights to any BF2 material anyway.

No need for me to further derail this topic..

As you were people. I'll try and post a new map in the next day or two. ESAI:FH2 or ESAI Standard isn't going anywhere. Nothing to see here, move along.

« Last Edit: 13-05-2011, 11:05:00 by Void »