Author Topic: Kernell_Stack_Inpage_Error BSOD when changing weapons & tab or escape press  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Hello.  I am getting a Kernell_Stack_Inpage "blue screen of death" when changing weapons.  It does not do this all the time when changing weapons, but sometimes it will, doesn't seem to matter in terms of a specific weapon or class either.  Melee, rifle, grenade, SMG....no real pattern.  However, I am also getting the same "BSOD" every time I press the TAB key to see the score as well as the ESCAPE key to get back to the main menu while still in-game.

I am running version 2.4.  I have also just been playing single-player lately as it is giving me a CD-key error (unknown why, I have been gaming BF2 legally since 2005 lol).  Map doesn't seem to matter either, and I have only been playing 16 player and 32 player maps, no 64 player maps yet.  Running video settings mostly on high, some turned to medium, AA off, 1024x768 resolution, 60hz refresh rate, 80% view distance.  Audio settings are on high using Creative X-FI.  I haven't played Forgotten Hope in awhile (much less any other game.....I started gaming again when I saw the new version had been released!) so I am not totally sure if this is related to this specific release version or not, or if my issue is one-of-a-kind, or if there are others out there with this or a similar issue.

I also did a complete reinstall of Battlefield 2 and the latest patch about 3 months ago or so.  Windows XP is fully updated but is not a fresh install, it has been installed for a couple of years now.

Also, the video drivers on my system have not changed in over a year.  I am using the latest ATI "legacy" driver for my x1950 so that has not changed.  Last week I did update my Creative audio drivers, but this issue was also occuring before I updated those drivers, so the new audio drivers did not have an impact at all.

The specs of my system: (not the newest but not horrible either...a bit outdated but oh well)

Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD FX-60 2.61 ghz Dual-Core processor
2gb Ultra RAM
850 watt Ultra power supply
Creative X-FI X-Treme Music sound card
ATI "Sapphire" X-1950 XT PCI-Express x16 256mb RAM video card
2 x 320gb Seagate SATA harddrives, not set to RAID. One of the drives has Windows and my programs on it, while other second drive contains my documents and other files on it.
« Last Edit: 23-09-2011, 00:09:41 by Officer_Dufus »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Hmmm this is a new one.
The Microsoft Help-page tells me that the Kernell_Stack_Inpage_Error comes from the computer having trouble loading things to the RAM.
It could therefore be, that your RAM is slowly degrading and producing errors which are quite noticable with big programs like the BF2 Engine, which doesn't clean up it's memory usage and thus manages to find every little error in your RAM.

Should you be using 2x1GB RAM, try removing one RAM bar or switch them around. Other than that go out and buy yourself 4GB of new RAM (you can't use more than 3GB on your system but nowadays 2GB Sticks are cheaper than 1GB sticks). Be sure to grab the supported memory type DDR 400 or 333!

Edit: On the topic of your BF2 Key error, try this thread's solution:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=955.msg21377#msg21377
« Last Edit: 23-09-2011, 09:09:12 by DLFReporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Looks like you were right, I ran MemTest all night last night and it found one error, on pass 3 of test 8.

New memory would be nice, temporarily...4 gigs as you said, should be able to get 2 sticks of 2gb for around $100.

However a full new system build is in order, for the future sometime......:)

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
If you have a Mainboard with a good Bios, you could try to lower the memory timing, or the latency values (RAS/CAS). If the bits just get a bit to the limit after a while of usage (temperature in ram module increasing), reducing those values could avoid some errors that may occur under such conditions.

Maybe increasing the voltage by 0.1 volt could help as well, but that can also make it worse if the RAM is already "weak".
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well I updated my bios from version 3003 to 4009.  Funny thing, I was playing single player for about an hour and a half...no crash at all!  I was playing a few 16 player maps but also played Crete 64 player and Villers-Bocage 64 player as well.

Strange.....there was a time when it would not crash using my old bios, so I do not see how a bios update would repair anything....unless it is masking something?  But I don't really see how that would happen.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Perhaps the Update has changed the RAM timing settings or something like that. :)

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well, the BSODs are back.  Strange how during that one session right after updating the bios that there were no crashes at all, then after restarting the system and running FH2 again, it started to crash randomly again.  Different map sizes, only loaded 16 or 32 player single player after that.

The RAM it is, for now at least....  I would like to eventually build a nice system with a 6 core processor and a newer video card, also 1tb solid state harddrive for programs, maybe another SATA drive for files, 8 gigs or so of the fastest RAM with a motherboard that could support that.
« Last Edit: 27-09-2011, 03:09:07 by Officer_Dufus »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
The RAM it is, for now at least....  I would like to eventually build a nice system with a 6 core processor and a newer video card, also 1tb solid state harddrive for programs, maybe another SATA drive for files, 8 gigs or so of the fastest RAM with a motherboard that could support that.

Wow, your looking into a major investment of plus 4000$ here looking at the SSD prices of today.  :o
Better set your eyes on a 120GB-250GB SSD for programs, don't forget that they die on you faster than normal HDDs as they only have a limited number of read/write operations.

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Perhaps I am dreaming a bit with my ultimate machine..however the sad part of the realism is that, within 6 years, it will STILL become outdated regardless of what I build today :(

The past 2 nights, I ran MemTest86 version 4.0a on both sticks individually, one night at a time.  The tests ran for ~11 hours or so for each stick, with ~17 passes, NO ERRORS on any of the 2 sticks.

Strange?

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well it would appear that my crash issues are all resolved.....following the directions to change the CD KEY for BF2 in the registry also fixed my "invalid CD key" issues and I am now playing online!

I played FH2 about and hour earlier, shut down, came back a few hours and played about an hour and a half again.  No crash.  There was one time where it went to the desktop and the sound looped but then it went back in to the game like nothing happened.

It is really running well now.  I will run a MEMTEST again tonight with both sticks installed.  Maybe, somehow, that reseating the memory helped?  I don't really know.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
It could also be that your one of the motherboard's capacitors is failing.

I've had this problem before. Sometimes PC ran for hours without any problem then the next day I would get lots of BSOD, changed ram, formatted HD and still BSODs. Finally I thoroughly inspected the motherboard and found that the top of a couple of capacitors was slightly elevated - probably blown. (similar to pic below). Had to replace the motherboard

If this is the case then your computer upgrade will need to arrive earlier than expected!  ;)

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
I haven't had any BSODs since I reseated the RAM.  However, whenever I play FH, I'm usually in-game just a few minutes and then it will freeze my entire system.  It does not appear that any specific sequence of events contributes to the freeze.  Today on Hurtgen Forest, 64 player online multiplayer, I entered a tank and it froze.  A few times yesterday or the day before, on Falaise Pocket, it froze.  Also 64 player Crete single-player froze for me.  It is strange how I had a few good days of flawless FH2 but now I am getting the freezes.  Nothing has changed settings wise, harware, updates, drivers, or anything.

It seems to be specific to FH2.  I played "vanilla" BF2 last night for about an hour, no freezes.  I don't play any other mods so I can't tell you what else is affected.

It will freeze my system, my "HDD" light will be come steady-on, and I will not be able to get to desktop.  I will have to hard-shut down my computer by holding the power button.

I will also have to wait about 5-10 minutes before restarting the PC, otherwise it will just get stuck in the Windows XP "loading bar" forever.  If I wait 5 minutes or so before turning the PC back on, it will boot up flawlessly.  This is just after a freeze from FH2.  I am not getting any freezing anywhere else, just in FH2.

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well, I entirely removed FH2 from my system and reinstalled, this time the full 3-part files for FH 2.2, not the "patched" version as before.  I thought this could possibly be the problem, seeing other threads where some people were having crashing issues with the "patched" version and it was resolved by installing the full version.

No such luck for me, right after installing FH 2.2 I jumped on a server with only 4 players tonight, 16-player Lebeisey (spelling?)  Anyway, I was only in game for a couple of minutes, when I decided to get out my grenades....as soon as I attempted to switch to grenades, the game and my system froze.  :(

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Wait, you found a FH2.2 or FH2.4 server?
Anyhow the freezes are very likely still hardware related. Iirc your system is fairly old and those two things (harddisks and RAM) are the ones that most likely give out over time, especially when you use high demanding programs like BF2/FH2 that constantly shuffle data back and forward between the two.
What is your harddisk setup?

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
My error, typo......I meant FH 2.4.

This does NOT seem to be specific to Forgotten Hope, as I originally thought.  Last night, playing vanilla BF2....I got a freeze when the commander decided to drop artillary on my head as I was hiding on a hill top.

I ran MEMTEST last night, for about 8.5 hours, NO errors found.  I started my computer up today.  It was sitting idle for about 45 minutes to an hour, and when I jumped on it, it froze.  HDD light came on steady, I couldn't click anything or do anything, although I was still able to move my mouse around my desktop.

I am going to run drive fitness tonight once again to confirm the condition of my harddrives.

The problem with these freezes is that I am NOT getting a blue screen of death.  No stop error code or anything, so that makes it difficult to find out exactly where the error is coming from.  Bah!

EDIT:  By the way, I am running dual SATA harddrives, not set in raid.  Both are 320gb Seagate drives.  One contains Windows, my programs, and my games, while the second drive contains files, documents, photos, records, music, etc.