Author Topic: FH 2.3, Single Player works fine, Crashes instantly when connecting to Multiplay  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well I have been away from gaming for about a year to year and a half...so I have come back once again, (glad to be back, of course!)

Battlefield 2 on my computer has never changed...still updated to 1.50.

About two weeks ago I download Forgotten Hope 2.3 and installed (after entirely wiping the previous older installation of Forgotten Hope 2)

Forgotten Hope 2 single player works flawlessly, however, whenever I try to connect to any sort of Multiplayer server, it instantly crashes back to desktop, regardless of the map or the server.

Any ideas?  Like I said I did entirely wipe the Forgotten Hope 2 installation that was previously installed by deleting the folder and all within the Battlefield 2 directory.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Could you try running FH2 in windowed mode? This will give us the exact error which it encounters when you try to join a server.

Just add +fullscreen 0 to the shortcut.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Doing the windowed mode really didn't do anything out of the ordinary, I still got the "FH2.exe" has crashed error....do you want to report it?

I have reported it before, but I also just did again.....I put "Officer_Dufus" in the comments section, although I am not sure who receives these reports?

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Did you receive?  Or anybody?  The "crash report"?

I do not believe this problem is just with Forgotten Hope 2.  I just reinstalled Project Reality 0.95 and it is doing the same thing.  Of course PR does not really have a "single player", but I can create a server in the game with bots and it will not crash, but as soon as I double click a multiplayer server in the list it crashes back to desktop, just as it does with FH2.

Any ideas?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Probbaly, but I doubt there are people still looking at them.

The point of running windowed mode is that it usually generates a detailed crash message then which you could have posted here for analysis.

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well I certainly didn't see it.  The same error popped up as when I was running full-screen mode.  Just said that FH2.exe had crashed, nothing more.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Manually update PB.
Firewall blokcing anything?
Restart your router
Can you play normal BF2 multiplayer?

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
PunkBuster says it is up to date.  Nothing has changed with my firewall from the last time I have played online, which was probably a year and a half ago....for Battlefield 2 anyway.

Does it make sense that my Battlefield 1942 would have also recently been saying my key was invalid?  Yet just the day before it started saying that, I was able to play Battlefield 1942 online as well.  Totally legit copy of both games, I have CD cases and everything to prove, so I don't know why my Battlefied 1942 went FUBAR and then BF2 crashes back to desktop when trying to play online, yet singleplay and everything works....

I have also restarted router since.  There was a nice little power outage to take care of that for me :)

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Also, vanilla Battlefield 2 crashes back to desktop upon double clicking on a multiplay server.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Also, vanilla Battlefield 2 crashes back to desktop upon double clicking on a multiplay server.

Then windowed mode should definitely give you an error. Could you give us a screenshot of your screen once BF2 crashes?

Anyhow, let's get back to the basics.
What system are you running  (OS and hardware) and what version of BF2 are you using (EA Downloadmanger, Steam or DVD)?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well, I believe I have BF1942 resolved...contacted EA Support and they gave me a new key, I uninstalled both Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 1942, reinstalled Battlefield 1942.

However I cannot install Battlefield 2!  I click install and the loading bar goes all of the way to the right but then it disappears and never comes back.  EA Tech told me to copy contents of Battlefield 2 DVD to folder on my desktop, but that results in the same issue.

The funny thing is, when I tried to uninstall Battlefield 2 I had the same issue with the uninstaller.  I had to uninstall manually by deleting folders.......

Damned.

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Well never mind, the EA Tech has given me the Battlefield 2 Complete Collection via EA Download Manager.....so I should be back up and running shortly, hopefully this fixes the multiplay crashing problem.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
The funny thing is, when I tried to uninstall Battlefield 2 I had the same issue with the uninstaller.  I had to uninstall manually by deleting folders.......

Had that problem as well. The trick here is to uncheck the marker next to Battlefield 2, after you clicked on unistall, otherwise it won't do anything. However, the routine itself is confusing.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
Also, even after deleting folders, if you still have the Battlefield 2 entry in Add/Remove programs and cannot get it to disappear because the loader bar disappears...you will have to go into the registry and manually delete the entry.  I found this out after spending a few hours troubleshooting this issue.  Will solve the inability to reinstall Battlefield 2 as well with the disappearing loading bar.

Read more here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

This might be a good sticky for people having the uninstall and install issue....I have searched and it appears there are many numbers of people having this issue, it is NOT a disc issue but somewhere the installer gets confused with the existing registry entries.