Author Topic: Revolting Uniting  (Read 310508 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Revolting Uniting
« Reply #2610 on: 18-03-2013, 20:03:34 »
What species was Angaredhel?

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: 18-03-2013, 20:03:11 »
Germans I need your help Its on the translation topic again.

So the whole book is about a German priest visiting Constantinopole and few other coastal cities of the Ottoman Empire in the old times. The priest goes to the hypodrome in Sultanahmet peninsula, and there is this huge obelix on the middle of the hypodrome. He is later describing the obelix, at one part he mentions "werkstein" which is probably something like granite or another stone. But I wasnt sure and I assumed its in platt deutch (is it written like that?) which is basically un-evolved German. So anyone with knowledge with old German can you identify what "werkstein" might be?

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: 18-03-2013, 20:03:20 »
Obelix? I always thought those stones were Obelisks. A "Werkstein" is a basically a let's say refined stone, may it be natural or artifcial. You use it to build walls or equal buildings. The definition says that they are arranged to match a certain pattern for example.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: 18-03-2013, 21:03:12 »
Oh, sorry about the "Obelix" mistake, I guess too much Asterix & Obelix comics brought from Germany in the 90's werent good for my English  :P  ;D

Thanks for the answer!

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: 18-03-2013, 21:03:05 »
No problem. I always fear to make Germanisms when I write/talk in English and I am pretty sure I do alot.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: 18-03-2013, 21:03:51 »
No problem. I always fear to make Germanisms when I write/talk in English and I am pretty sure I do alot.

Eventually it could have happened to me also. But then again those mistakes aren´t very pregnant.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: 18-03-2013, 21:03:44 »
Werkstein isn't a type of stone, but rather the way it was cut. Its either precisely squared or cubed and then finely polished. Its usually done by hand with a chisel or machine. It literaly means to 'work stone'. Now Steinwerk, thats the finished product. The English term for this masonry process is Ashlar.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: 18-03-2013, 22:03:23 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6cY84XmwU&feature=youtu.be

Trailer for the upcoming film Lil Bub & Friends

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: 19-03-2013, 22:03:50 »
Seems like our prime minister doesn't know there was a civil war in Finland...

you guys had a civil war?  :o

(researching)

Ooh.
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: 19-03-2013, 23:03:05 »
Finland had declared independence from what was the former Russian Empire, at that time embroiled in the Russian Civil War, on 6 December 1917. At the time of the declaration of independence, monarchists were a minority in the Finnish Parliament, and Finland was declared a republic. A civil war followed, and afterwards, while the pro-republic Social Democratic Party was excluded from the Parliament and before a new constitution was adopted, Frederick was elected to the throne of Finland on 9 October 1918.

...says wiki and I'm too lazy to translate the local press :-X actually, here it is:
""Finland never experienced a civil war", said our prime minister, and - nobody blinked.
Contrary to mr. Milanović's liberal belief, Finland indeed experienced a civil war, and a bloody one at that!
In 5 months of war, about 37 thousand people died out of a total population of 3 million. Ergo, more than 1% of the population! Several generations were wiped out. As much as 16% of the victims, almost 16 thousand were between 14 and 20 years of age! Doesn't sound very peaceful.

Seeing that Milanović doesn't know all this, here's a quick reminder. The Reds and Whites fought in the first half of 1918, somewhat like in Russia. The Germans helped the Whites, and there was fighting for Helsinki itself. In the Finnish civil war, both sides commited countless attrocities described by history as the Red and White terror. Even the minors in the opposing armies were executed."

although this one (actually most of the articles lol) should be read with a reserve
« Last Edit: 19-03-2013, 23:03:19 by PanzerKnacker »
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: 20-03-2013, 00:03:46 »
But I wasnt sure and I assumed its in platt deutch (is it written like that?) which is basically un-evolved German.

There is no such thing as "evolved" and "unevolved" German - just saying.  :P
And yeah, as someone said "Werkstein" is basically what in English would be called "ashlar".

Btw, is Natty still posting on this forum?

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: 20-03-2013, 04:03:17 »
He hasn't, at least for 2013.

BTW, EA Maxis brazenly released day 1 DLC for $10 each. Wasn't the concept of add-ons, expansions, DLCs are for something that were left out during development brain storming? And guess what? The game is a disaster, the new SimCity.

I remembered closely here when MoH: Warfighter was released, Natty praised the game so much, ignoring the fact that the game is universally panned as broken, and relatively very short when compared to its competitors.

So it is not just DICE or MoH developers, even Maxis did that, every company under EA. No wonder people hates them. But I still haven't find any good enough reason to join the bandwagon.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: 20-03-2013, 15:03:13 »
Some dudes in my Classics class today voiced their opinion that women shouldn't be allowed to serve in combat.  The professor overheard and intellectually ripped them a new one using Plato.  It was brilliant.  ;D

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: 20-03-2013, 16:03:30 »
Writing my exam about borders and identity. I just finished the draft of the first question, dealing with the Julio-Claudian dynasty and the conflict in northern ireland. Now I only have the more boring questions left until monday.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: 20-03-2013, 17:03:29 »
Shit. Nawrouz is here. Now it'll be impossible to even poke your nose out of your house tomorrow.