Author Topic: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2.46 - 2.48  (Read 26456 times)

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
Re: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2.46 and 2.47
« Reply #90 on: 01-06-2014, 21:06:48 »
And i'll pick the american side. I like a good ol´challenge :)

2hard4me  :(

Perhaps i finally have to move botskill below 80 to feel better about myself.  :-\
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 02-06-2014, 18:06:42 »
You are allowed to go a bit more abusive in SP. So, I have to say, the trick to advance as American in Omaha is to exploit! Bazooka kits (snipe using Bazooka at emplacements), TK to get more ammo when desperate (or specific equipment), go ramboing - since bots have poor aiming skills, etc.

Just don't carry the behaviour to online sessions.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 04-06-2014, 02:06:55 »
Tuco,
What ai find works is actually relevant to MP. Bots are logical.

When large numbers of troops are moving, move in a way to reduce the statistical chance of getting picked out and picked off.

Bots fire at those who engage them, so avoid engaging mgs until you have a decent chance to kill them.

Use the hedgehogs. Eventually, you'd get to the cliffs.

Situational awareness. That's the key. 90% may be a tad too accurate fire, but 80! 85% shouod still be reasonable.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 05-06-2014, 22:06:52 »
Do all these crashes on Meuse and Gold Beach happen when you share a vehicle with bots? If yes, shout "Get out" before leaving the vehicle, as a temporal anti-CTD measure.

That seems to work quite well. Now the biggest problem is CTD right after getting knocked out (any AFV, no bots on the board).

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 06-06-2014, 04:06:49 »
Thanks djinn ill try sticking with the pack then, seems they all land on 1 side of the beach or another and i try to avoid that area thinking it'll just be a magnet for the opposition.
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 10-06-2014, 15:06:00 »
Unfortunately Villers Bocage still crashes  :-\ .

Offline Sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 22-06-2014, 13:06:35 »
Just played Meuse River, nice map with nice toys. Took out a King Tiger with a one Bazooka round surprised that happened not sure if that's realistic?

The main point of my post is kudos to whoever altered the ragdoll physics with the bots!! Much much better, great work!!

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 05-07-2014, 20:07:50 »
Actually, the first(?) Jagdtiger lost in the combat was destroyed by a flank hit from a Bazooka, setting off an internal ammo explosion, killing the entire crew.

So, yeah it's plausible. Especially on the flank/rear.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 13-07-2014, 04:07:57 »
The next step that ought to be taken is making the British Normandy maps stable enough to actually play them. On a different note, is it possible to give bots a quicker reaction time below 75 yards? Usually I can take them out before they even fire a shot. Finally, I would like to thank the developers, especially those of the A.I. branch in this case, for all of their hard work and dedication.

Offline Sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 13-07-2014, 12:07:16 »
 @nysä
Actually, the first(?)

Yes first round! In the flank near engine bay.

My next wish is for bots to obey commands from the commander / NCO, they still go off and do their own thing. Wouldn't it be great if as a commander you could coordinate an attack on one or two targets simultaneously. 

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 19-07-2014, 17:07:30 »
I recently switched my server over to 2.47 and for the most part, it's working okay. It's a 64 bit Linux 64 player coop server.
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/jrc-core.com:16567/

Most of the maps work great, and the new AI is excellent. Bots seem much more intelligent. Nice work!

Unfortunately, there are a few maps that still cause the server to crash, namely Mareth Line, Mount Olympus and Battle of Brest. Those maps have been doing this for the past few FH2 versions. They typically crash the server after the first flag is taken.

Also, Omaha Beach looks like a great map, but it crashes the server about 15 seconds after the first player joins.

Are there any other server admins here who are running 64 bit Linux? I'd like to compare notes. I'm also using BF2CCD to manage the server, which could possibly be related to the server crashes. And I don't have Punkbuster enabled at all, which could also be part of the problem. Any ideas?

I also noticed that some of the maps now have really high ticket numbers again. This was a problem a few versions ago and was since fixed, but it's back. For example, Purple Heart Lane has over 1000 tickets for each side.

Another weird thing I've noticed with 2.47, and which never happened before, is that sometimes maps end early for no apparent reason. It acts just like the attacker has taken all the flags: the defender's tickets run to zero in a few seconds, but there are still several flags to take. I've seen this happen with Purple Heart Lane, Port en Bessin and Tunis. In all of those cases, someone bypassed all the intervening flags and took the 'last' flag (the one farthest away), which might be related.

Gold Beach seems to work fine most of the time, but in one case when it crashed I noticed this in the server monitor: "fh2: AI/AIDLL/AI/AIUtils/CustomCurve.cpp:105: float dice::hfe::ai::CustomCurve::calculate(float, bool)) const: Assertion '0' failed."

I was told by one of the people on the IRC channel that the new FH2 server binary can be used to run mods other than FH2. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so in the near future (with AIX2). Has anyone else tried this? I'm a bit dubious, because when I look at the in-game server browser, all I see is FH2 servers.

Question: is there a place on the forum for discussions about servers? Most of what's in this thread is about the client; maybe it would be helpful to start a new thread about server administration?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 19-07-2014, 18:07:33 »
Unfortunately, there are a few maps that still cause the server to crash, namely Mareth Line, Mount Olympus and Battle of Brest. Those maps have been doing this for the past few FH2 versions. They typically crash the server after the first flag is taken.

Also, Omaha Beach looks like a great map, but it crashes the server about 15 seconds after the first player joins.

Are there any other server admins here who are running 64 bit Linux? I'd like to compare notes. I'm also using BF2CCD to manage the server, which could possibly be related to the server crashes. And I don't have Punkbuster enabled at all, which could also be part of the problem. Any ideas?
Jeff, try running Brest and Omaha without BF2CCD and other third-party admin stuff, if you have any. As for Mareth and Olympus, they are outdated, especially Mareth, so I can't guarantee that they are stable even in the common singleplayer. Add here Villers Bocage, it's tremendously outdated since FH 2.45 (that is, since 2012), I suggest removing it from rotation.

I also noticed that some of the maps now have really high ticket numbers again. This was a problem a few versions ago and was since fixed, but it's back. For example, Purple Heart Lane has over 1000 tickets for each side.
Actually, 1400 tickets for both teams on Purple Heart Lane is the normal setting. Every rebuilt map has to pass one simple test: I must win at least 1 round as the attacker, with 63 bots split equally between the teams, with 60% bot skill, without me using a "uber-weapon" like the Tigers on Ramelle. If a map passes this test, it is considered more or less balanced. 1400 is the number of tickets enough for me to capture all flags on PHL.

Another weird thing I've noticed with 2.47, and which never happened before, is that sometimes maps end early for no apparent reason. It acts just like the attacker has taken all the flags: the defender's tickets run to zero in a few seconds, but there are still several flags to take. I've seen this happen with Purple Heart Lane, Port en Bessin and Tunis. In all of those cases, someone bypassed all the intervening flags and took the 'last' flag (the one farthest away), which might be related.
I can believe that one can bypass all bots on Port en Bessin, but on PHL and Tunis?! How many bots were in the defending Axis team on those maps?

Anyway, this exploit is known to me since the SP patches for 2.45, but it always had a low priority because I could not think that someone would voluntarily cheat in this way. "I once won on Tunis against bots by being sneaky" is not a thing you will tell your grandchildren, right? :)

I was told by one of the people on the IRC channel that the new FH2 server binary can be used to run mods other than FH2. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so in the near future (with AIX2). Has anyone else tried this? I'm a bit dubious, because when I look at the in-game server browser, all I see is FH2 servers.
The FH2 server binaries only accept clients who log in via the Project Reality "fake Gamespy". ATM it means only 2 mods - FH2 and PR (the latter - only in theory, that mod has its own custom binaries).

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 20-07-2014, 17:07:54 »
Jeff, try running Brest and Omaha without BF2CCD and other third-party admin stuff, if you have any.
Okay, will do. I'll let you know what I find. What about punkbuster? Should I enable it or does it make any difference? I personally hate it.

As for Mareth and Olympus, they are outdated, especially Mareth, so I can't guarantee that they are stable even in the common singleplayer.
Both of those maps worked at some point since I started running my FH2 server, but they haven't worked for a while. Server always crashes. I'll remove them from the rotation.

Add here Villers Bocage, it's tremendously outdated since FH 2.45 (that is, since 2012), I suggest removing it from rotation.
Well, that's weird, because Villers Bocage had been working great up to 2.46, but when I tried it a couple of times this morning, it crashed the server both times. Seriously, I was previously playing that map frequently and never had any problems with it until 2.47.

Actually, 1400 tickets for both teams on Purple Heart Lane is the normal setting.
I just tried PHL again and you're absolutely right: that is a good number of tickets for that map.

I can believe that one can bypass all bots on Port en Bessin, but on PHL and Tunis?! How many bots were in the defending Axis team on those maps?
31 soldiers on each side, including three humans on the attacking side. One of them (not me) managed to get to the last point and take it (presumably by being stealthy), and the map abruptly ended.

Anyway, this exploit is known to me since the SP patches for 2.45, but it always had a low priority because I could not think that someone would voluntarily cheat in this way.
First of all, this is a new behaviour in 2.47 in my experience. I often try unusual tactics when attacking and not having much luck on a map, and that includes Port en Bessin. I really don't see how this is in any way an 'exploit' or 'cheating'. It's just a flanking maneuver. Typically I found in the past that doing this would usually (but not always) provide enough of an edge to allow winning the map. But now with 2.47, taking the farthest two flags in Port En Bessin results in an instant win, which totally messes up the map, in my opinion. In the classic BF setup, the only time the tickets drop quickly to zero is if a team no longer has anywhere to spawn, but this is now happening on several maps even when there are several places to spawn. I don't get it. Why not stick with the traditional approach, in which the attacker starts out bleeding tickets, then at some point when they take enough flags, they stop bleeding, then when they take a certain number of additional flags, the defender starts bleeding. Several of the FH2 maps have the attacker bleeding tickets no matter how many flags they take, unless they're able to take them all, which is typically almost impossible, depending on the spawn frequency. And I've always found that annoying.

The FH2 server binaries only accept clients who log in via the Project Reality "fake Gamespy". ATM it means only 2 mods - FH2 and PR (the latter - only in theory, that mod has its own custom binaries).
Okay, so I can run an AIX2 server with the new FH2 binary, but AIX2 clients won't be able to join. I guess I'll have to set up a separate server.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 21-07-2014, 18:07:01 »
Jeff, try running Brest and Omaha without BF2CCD and other third-party admin stuff, if you have any.
Done: I switched to running the server directly via the start script rather than via BF2CCD (and Mono, etc.) I also switched the admin script back to the default (I was previously using ModManager). The result: no change at all; Omaha crashes the server 15 seconds after the first player joins, Brest crashes the server shortly after Plaza is taken, and other maps seem to work fine (eg. Supercharge).

I'm currently looking at the mapdata.py file for Brest.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 22-07-2014, 23:07:55 »
I do not intend to rush anyone and do greatly appreciate all of the time that you put in this splendid experience that is FH2 SP, but could the crashing Commonwealth Normandy maps please be looked into? Currently they are not playable, especially Villers Bocage. The only stable map is Operation Goodwood, if I recall correctly.