Author Topic: [F|H] & [762] & [WaW] Community Map Pack  (Read 39865 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: [F|H] & [762] & [WaW] Community Map Pack
« Reply #75 on: 13-01-2015, 14:01:00 »
What is a "good" map anyway? Because.. I personally consider a good map one that I can immerse myself in and therefore can't stand maps with poor lightmapping, shitty static placement, buggy terrain and whatnot (i.e. many tournament maps). That is part of the reason I dislike most of these "good" maps and don't care if someone claims they have a "superior" gameplay. I'm not trying to shit on the effort put into those maps, however, to me most of them look the same and ironically also play the same (large maps, flags hundreds of meters apart, you can go to any flag without being within a reach of another flag's defense.. PR much? Sure, you can attack any flag from almost any direction and that I guess is "good gameplay", but when it comes at the cost of art design.. I'll pass.
« Last Edit: 13-01-2015, 14:01:46 by McCloskey »

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #76 on: 13-01-2015, 15:01:10 »
You should come and see our latest maps.  >:( ;)
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 13-01-2015, 17:01:00 »
Some feedback from the maps. It wouldn't let me register on the 762 forums so I'll just post it here. It's in several spoilers in order not to clutter up the post:

El Agheila
Spoiler
Played this map once as the Brits. The Italians didn't manage to advance past the first line of defence. I suggest that the Outpost flag should be opened up a bit. At the moment it's very tightly packed and the entrances are both blocked from tanks. The flag zone is difficult to get to and this creates a situation where the Axis just end up camping and shelling the flag, which is frustrating for both sides, especially when the Brits spawn basically right in the open. Remove the tank traps and move the walls farther away from the camp.
Kefalonia
Spoiler
I have very mixed feelings about this map. It has interesting game mechanics but there something in the map that just doesn't feel right. First of all, the map has a lot of unused space and especially mountain in the middle seem to go to waste, as people just go in circles along the coast lines. The classic conquest works well, because once you cap one flag you usually have only one or two choices on where to go next.

What really bothers me is how the towns are designed. They are very maze-like, with completely arbitrary and randomly based buildings. You have a lot of situations where the corner of a house is right next to the wall of another house and you don't have any logical roads or street network in the town. Overall, with the odd house placement the towns' layouts look like they've been drawn by a child instead of actually putting effort into thinking (or referencing) how an actual town would be built.

The Japanese landing craft really break immersion (I understand they are there because nothing else is available).
Operation Nordwind
Spoiler
The main problem with Nordwind is the large number of flags and their completely random placement. Especially the Village flag is completely useless and most of the time both teams advance in pretty much identical fashion (which is good, it's just that the Village flag breaks the thing). Usually the Axis capture the Bunker, Allies the Estate and then they both continue into the town.

This is how I would change the structure of the map:

Remove the Village flag completely and expand the map horizontally. Move the Axis base to the Northwest, while the American base goes Southwest. This way you can still have free conquest but the battle gets a much more logical order without pointless running around.

In addition, a lot of the flag zones are really closed up and getting into them requires the player to circle around the flag to find and entrance (sometimes quite far away). The player should be able to get to the capping zone without much fuffing around and it should feel intuitive.
Carpiquet
Spoiler
This is a map reminds me a bit of Luttich, which isn't a bad thing at all. All I'd do is move the two edge flags closer to the Airfield (just slightly) and open up the flag zones a bit. Also, the roads to the flags need to be a lot clearer, especially Authie tends to act like its own little closed fortress
Argentan
Spoiler
This is probably my favourite map of the bunch. The only thing that really bothers me is the aesthetics. The towns outline is basically a big square with houses acting as walls. The town itself is fun to fight in but the edges should be broken up a bit (especially in the north). My second problem is with the massive crater at the Captured AT Position flag. You have a massive hole right in the middle of the thing but somehow all the buildings and walls around are completely intact. So either remove the crater or make the buildings look somewhat destroyed.

Train Station's cap zone seems a bit odd. You can cap the flag from inside the multi storey house next to it but in order to get inside the house you have to do this weird loop from behind the building.
Sidi Muftah
Spoiler
Only played this map a couple of minutes. Only thing I can say is that the British base should be moved a bit further away from the Italian positions so that the Italians have a bit more time to prepare.
Catania
Spoiler
This map is just a bunch of flags stuck in a circular pattern with a completely arbitrary (and badly chosen) push code. In addition, it looks fucking hideous. Just burn this map in hellfire and never speak of it again.
General
Spoiler
As a general note, a lot of the maps have problems with oddly designed flag zones. Most of them are too closed up and require quite a lot of work and running around to get into the actual cap zone itself.

I feel that a lot of maps have too many pick up kits which creates a situation where the kits don't feel special or necessary anymore. It also renders a lot of the other equipment less intimidation when you have kits that can counter them lying about pretty much everywhere.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #78 on: 15-01-2015, 01:01:32 »
What was the problem?
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline shahram

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 19-01-2015, 13:01:54 »
It's been a long time since I played FH for last time. I am back and I am happy for it. these maps are great and I appreciate this effort strongly. although I have not still played them but I like new maps.
I remember a map pack which was put for downloading last year or later/earlier it was a forgotten honor campaign map-pack. I want to know are those maps integrated in this map-pack?

and I appreciate all these efforts again.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 19-01-2015, 13:01:38 »
No, but the maps are being updated for the campaigns. Wacht am Rhein will be played as the campaign finale on 30 jan.

Offline shahram

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 19-01-2015, 16:01:38 »
No, but the maps are being updated for the campaigns. Wacht am Rhein will be played as the campaign finale on 30 jan.

thanks, it is great.
I am looking forward for more maps. more maps, more enjoy and specially huge maps.
thank you 762 for serving.

Offline shahram

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 21-01-2015, 08:01:48 »
OK. it is two days so far and nobody wants to play in Map Pack server. why?
I came back for these new maps.
I think one of 762 servers should be run in each day.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 21-01-2015, 08:01:53 »
It's a coin toss, really. Playerbase isn't large enough so the first server to pick up speed dominates the night. If you want to contribute be the first to join the cmp server, people will probably follow you.

Offline shahram

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 21-01-2015, 09:01:47 »
I'll do it tonight and if this will come true. it will be another reason for proving this theory which say:
Humans are inherently obedient like sheep.  :)

Offline fmlrommel

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 21-01-2015, 18:01:22 »
ive been reading through this post for a couple days. tried everything, still just get the message: you dont have the map in rotation. i do. ive checked. just curious as to why installing this map pack is so difficult. no wonder no one plays it. i realize its a custom map thing but the FH team wouldnt let you add it to the updater? i really would like to play the new maps but all this messing around to play with 10 people doesnt seem worth it... i really like this mod but there are so many things about it hat disappoint me :(  i suppose im just being a negative nancy

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 21-01-2015, 18:01:16 »
@fmlrommel: The Server with the mappack has reached nearly 100 players several times during the last 4 weeks. It feels most of the players (or atleast the players, who usually "start" the server") have had enough of the new maps. After an absence the official maps and different mapstyles felt refreshing again.

I personally hope the 762 admins to start a new mixed rotation on one of the servers soon.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 21-01-2015, 18:01:57 »
Probably also depends on what kind of maps are running on the servers at the beginning. I bet if its Africa maps they will be more inclined to go on the custom server than when it is running St Vith or something.

Offline fmlrommel

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 21-01-2015, 19:01:55 »
well redownloading the file again we will see if that fixes my problem...
« Last Edit: 21-01-2015, 19:01:20 by fmlrommel »

Offline fmlrommel

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 21-01-2015, 20:01:07 »
wow that was way harder than it should have been.... used the repair FH tool and now it works. oh but now there isnt any one playing :*(