Author Topic: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2.5  (Read 42213 times)

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Singleplayer in Forgotten Hope 2.5
« Reply #15 on: 13-02-2016, 18:02:50 »
Again regarding the singleplayer situation for the new Maps in 2.5. Despite the warnings, I had some spare time at my hands last week, learned how to use 3ds Max, created and adjusted working navmeshs for Arad and Sammatus. It was kinda tricky, I had to tweak gameplay-object placement quite a bit and sure the AI won't use 90% of the buildings statics, but it doesn't take away from the fun, the maps are a blast in Coop and I am quite satisified with the results.

However I wanted to report that all mobile versions of the ZiS-3 At Gun will crash the game since it isn't configured for AI use, also is ist just me or are all the new 2.5 assets (vehicles) not listed for object spawners in the editor?

EDIT: The T34/85 Late Hull MG will also cause ctd. Not configured for AI use.
« Last Edit: 14-02-2016, 02:02:22 by Darman »

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 13-02-2016, 20:02:15 »
Wow  :D. Always impressed by navmeshing efforts as I looked into how its done at one point. The thing that put me off, apart from having little time, is the 3DS max requirement as I'm more used to Blender. So its great to hear that these maps are working ... maybe the Russians will reach me eventually after all  ;).

Offline tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13-02-2016, 20:02:25 »
Good work, Darman!  I wonder what the process is to make buildings/statics ready for use by AI?  As another exclusively coop/singeplayer FH2 gamer, I definitely am watching excitedly!

Offline Smallest_army

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15-02-2016, 20:02:59 »
Hi,

thank you so much gavrant for the time and effort you put into the singleplayer aspect! Tried the new features out in a few COOP matches - really good! I love the addition of the binocs to the mortar kit!

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18-02-2016, 05:02:40 »
Sorry, guys, as it often happens, neither of the new 2.5 maps - Arad, Dukla Pass, Pegasus, Seelow, Sammatus, got singleplayer support on release. But the equipment used on these maps is mostly ready for AI, anyone with basic BF2 modding skills can try it on another map with singleplayer support (at least I tested Katjushas and IS-2 on Alam Halfa :) ).

OK, first of all, you guys have done an excellent job with this mod.  Its probably one of the best out there for a lot of the games I have played, and I have modded various games for over 14 years... I have thoroughly enjoyed FH and FH2 over the years...  :)

With all my years modding Battlefield games, my knowledge has been tested on this particular issue and you guys stumped me on this one... it concerns the T34_76's and t34_85's.  The standard T34_74 works fine in singleplayer, but I get an error trying to bring in the _camo or _de versions in single player, the same occurs with the 85's too.  The error says the following (which I attached as an image):

"Debug assertion failed
Version 1.5.3153-802.0.... ( I can add all this if you wish, but I will get ot the point)...
Text you have tried to enter a vehicle that is not prepared for use with AI:t34_76_camo_hullmg"

So I looked at the hull mg's for the t34's and the .con files were missing the t34 hullmg reference at the bottem of the code.  Adding this reference to the AI Template for the t34 hull mg didnt seem to work as I got the same error.

I also looked under the Objects\Vehicles\Common\ai\Objects.ai, everything appears good under there.

Any ideas one what I might have missed?  Its kind of good, I have never dug this deep into the AI code before, but I would really like to get the t34's on some of the Singleplayer maps.  I have been pretty excited since I first heard you guys were going to have T34's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and an excellent mod!!

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19-02-2016, 05:02:08 »
OK, so, I did find a temp fix for the hullmg's on the t34's... its real sloppy and doesn't give a nice finished result, but I remembered doing this from the old BF1942 days, I just removed the hullmg reference in the tweak file.  So there is no hull mg, but the t34's come in great.  ;D  But this doesn't help wit the zis-6.  :'(

This would be just a temp fix until I , we or someone figures out the AI bug.  I also googled the issue and there seems to be a fix, but I need to research it. ;)

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19-02-2016, 10:02:58 »
OK, so, I did find a temp fix for the hullmg's on the t34's... its real sloppy and doesn't give a nice finished result, but I remembered doing this from the old BF1942 days, I just removed the hullmg reference in the tweak file.  So there is no hull mg, but the t34's come in great.  ;D  But this doesn't help wit the zis-6.  :'(

This would be just a temp fix until I , we or someone figures out the AI bug.  I also googled the issue and there seems to be a fix, but I need to research it. ;)

Check your PM, I've sent you a pack with what I was able to fix.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 19-02-2016, 17:02:31 »
Reworked deployable weapons. They do not disappear instantly after a bot or human player exits them, like in multiplayer. Instead they stay for some seconds. This means that bots can enter deployed weapons without dying now, and no crash to desktop will happen when a human player tries to enter a deployed weapon already occupied by a bot.

Great to see this as well. I was just exploring this update. The arty spots work great which I was just recording video of to make a vid to show off these new updates. But the deployable weapons although they don't dissappear immediately only stay for ~ 3 to 4 seconds. This is enough when there's crowds of bots around it but I wonder why it can't be longer ?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19-02-2016, 19:02:23 »
Yes, the delay before they disappear is exactly 4 seconds. And yes, it could be easily increased. But I still would like to keep the deployables rather close to how they behave in multiplayer, this is the reason why I chose the current short delay. Another, relatively minor reason is that the larger deployables (mortars or German tripods) are still a navigation hazard for AI, so to speak, so the sooner they disappear, the better for bots.

Overall, my position on the deployables is that they are mostly "human only", "special case" or "for fun" weapons, so they are set up in a way which makes them less attractive to bots, compared to their static cousins, and, for example, the deployable mortars don't have raised cameras. That's why I think the short disappearance delay is not a problem, a human player can easily redeploy them where and when needed. Besides, retweaking of AI in 2.5 made deployable weapons less decisive in many cases. For example, Djinn once wanted to deploy mortars against the 88 on PHL, since bots could barely deal with the gun on their own. In 2.5 my estimate for the average "time to live" for the gunner of that 88 at lower bots skills became 30 seconds. As soon as any German enters the gun, a hail of rifle grenades instantly rains on him now.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 21-02-2016, 16:02:57 »
Ah, interesting, thanks for the reply. Game play balance applies as equally to Coop/SP and MP !  :D So this really makes a lot of sense. I'm still getting used to various maps again, new and classic as the new 2.51 AI game play is quite different  8).

Offline Smallest_army

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21-02-2016, 17:02:44 »
I can confirm this, I played a lot with mortars lately just because it wasn't really great before. But I find that the bots do an outstanding work...I witnessed a battle between a M10 a Sherman a Stug and a Panther in Vossenack...it was almost like a movie. The different tanks moved forward and backwards to break lines of sight and overall it was really cool. I was able to play Operation Totalize in a way that it was fun, because the british tanks finally crossed the river and attacked other flags. Singleplayer is a lot more fun now and the little surprise you get when bots really behave almost smart are very nice.

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01-03-2016, 19:03:28 »
So, I have been playing with the kits for 2.5.  On previous versions of FH2, I was able to mod the kits easily within minimal bugs as long as I followed the item index numbers for weapons and equipment.

Since 2.5, I noticed that after I had made my usual mods to various aspects of the new release, the maps started to crash.  Two in particular are Operations Cobra and Luttich.  These worked fine before I modded 2.5, and when I had modded everything in 2.48, these maps had no issues whatsoever.

I started over, repaired the mod, and slowly added back in my mods one at a time, testing each mod.  I started to get crashes when I introduced my kit mods.

I have tried to find in the server.zip, the mapdata.py, the Init.con, the GamePlayObjects, as well as looking at the aifixes for possible conflicts with the changes I made.  I have yet to find a solution.  I have made changes to 2.5 vehicles and weapon code with no ill effects.

Now maps using BA, GA, IA, seem to work fine, its maps that are isolated to UW, GS, and GW kits… so I am not sure what’s so different between these kits and the others.  Also, as I say again, in 2.48, I could revamp all sorts of things in that release, but 2.5 is a different story.  I even added in “include ../debug.con” in the individual kits, but to no avail, as the game just crashes on map startup, on the tail end of the Objects loading with no answer as to why.

I reviewed the changelog.txt since 2.48 looking for any possible changes that would be causing this, I did not find anything under kits, soldiers or weapons that were remarkable, with the exception  of kitmeshes, which I don’t see how those could cause a crash.  I have been playing FH2 at least since 2010, and I have never run across an issue like this.  It would appear that it would have something to do with item indices, but I suspect there are peripheral files referencing the changing of items or kits per map.

I also suspect that this could have something to do with it…. Maybe, as it is not in the 2.48 Engineer kits…

“rem dummy-i9 added by the packing script
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate dummy-i9”

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, Ill keep poking around to see what I can find.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 10-03-2016, 18:03:44 »
Hi, I made a video showing off some of the new sp/coop features, primarily the spotting and deployables ...

Forgotten Hope Battlefield 2: New v2.51 Singleplayer & Coop Features

EDIT: Possible priority fixes for next patch/release:

1. Bot gunner should NOT jump out of second gunner position on vehicle (usually hull MG) when "bail out" order given. I've seen this implemented successfully elsewhere. Without it its impossible to use any vehicle tactics because the whole things see saws between everyone in the vehicle or out of it with no hull MG support.

2. Bot controlled vehicles should stop and wait when given "need pickup order". Pretty fundamental, all other mods implement this with the AI. Otherwise, again, tactics with the AI in SP & Coop are impossible without this "stop order". Repairing on the move and so forth.

(might add some more)
« Last Edit: 15-04-2016, 16:04:57 by DJ Barney »

Offline XtotheZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13-06-2016, 22:06:16 »
Hello, guys. I have one question, that is really all over my mind since I saw the 2.51 version: are the official FH2 team going to make the Eastern Front maps available for singleplayer with bots? Will it be in the upcoming 2.52 update?

I am asking because:
1. I only have the possibility to play with bots, so it's totally no reason for me to download a new version if it will be without bots (on new maps).
2. I've already heard from developers of another mod for BF2 such things as "Who needs singleplayer? It's boring to play with bots, so we won't make new nav's anymore", so I'm kinda worrying.
3. I am now on 2.48 because 2.51 worked bad on my computer, so it is totally no reason for me to download the new version, if there is actually nothing new with bots...

P.S.: And I am really sorry, if I picked a wrong topic for my question or missed that someone already answered this question and all. I am not really smart about that kind of things.  ::)
« Last Edit: 13-06-2016, 22:06:05 by XtotheZ »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13-06-2016, 23:06:20 »
P.S.: And I am really sorry, if I picked a wrong topic for my question or missed that someone already answered this question and all. I am not really smart about that kind of things.  ::)

The answer is "no", when it comes to official bot support, it won't be added with 2.52. You missed something else though. Bot support for all new 2.5 maps is added via Darman's patch which can be found few topics below:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=20690.0

Not to mention that 2.5x patches change a lot on existing singleplayer maps and they're worth downloading ;)