Author Topic: Android gaemz and software  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Android gaemz and software
« on: 28-12-2011, 15:12:27 »
So my mobile operator decided I've been such a faithful customer, and they made me an offer I could not refuse (horse head not included): I will get a free* Samsung Galaxy SII, and my mobile interwebz gets boosted from 384 kbps (often slower) to 42 Mbps (very theoretical, 5-10 Mbps is realistically achievable in practice) with unlimited data, but my phone bills stay the same.

*) SIM-locked, must stay as a customer for two years

So now, after clearing out the irritating blinking news widgets telling me U.S. domestic news, and delayed-data finance feed from U.S. markets, and all the "hubs", and preventing Facebook contact info from being synchronized (because, one day I'll be moving the contact info to another phone and even in the year 2011 it seems that SIM card is still the most convenient way, so I'll be keeping a "conventional" phone book that can be copied to the SIM), I'm looking for ways to use the phone more constructively.

Don't think that touchscreen controls (or even the keys of a regular phone) are really suitable for action games, puzzle games have never really been my cup of tea, and it will be a cold day in hell indeed if Angry-frakking-Birds ever lands on any device of mine. But I'm open to recommendations. Strategy? RPG? Adventure? Pr0n? Both paid and free are OK.

Other useful or entertaining non-gaming software suggestions are also welcome. Free preferred, but if it's really good I might consider paying.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Android gaemz and software
« Reply #1 on: 28-12-2011, 15:12:20 »
I like this thread.
Got a Samsung Galaxy S2 myself and couldn't be happier with it.
Had it for 5 months, but still haven't taken the time and effort to customize it (you can customize the look and layout of android a lot). Neither have I gone in the search for great apps and games, just downloaded those I find that I like.

Tip: go to android market and search for Star Wars soundboard.
Got "It's A trap!" as a text-message signal :)

Edit: so yeah, I will follow this thread.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-12-2011, 17:12:26 »
Monkey island 1 and 2 ?
ScummVM(emulator) is available but you must get the games to emulate

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #3 on: 28-12-2011, 17:12:29 »
I hope you were not fooled by Sonera and their "unlimited" data.
CMP Gaming

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-12-2011, 18:12:21 »
I hope you were not fooled by Sonera and their "unlimited" data.
Been a DNA customer almost since the beginning. Never going back to Surina and their bad connections, even worse customer service and misleading prices and terms.
Monkey island 1 and 2 ?
ScummVM(emulator) is available but you must get the games to emulate
Got most of Sierra and Lucasfilm back catalogue as zip archives on my HDD still ;) Though maybe I won't remember them as well after 20 years :p (Never gonna forget the infamous "put airsick bag above hair rejuvenator" puzzle from Larry 2 though, even though I knew what to do, findiung the exact preposition was not so easy as a 13 years old non-native English speaker...)

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-12-2011, 18:12:57 »
Oh I just realized.

Plants vs Zombies. GREAT game and available for android. Sadly i've played it to death on my computer already, but go get it!
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-12-2011, 19:12:51 »
If you are into collectible card games, Shadow Era might be worth a look.

http://www.shadowera.com/

WTF is...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbh0kWHg1H0
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-12-2011, 19:12:55 »
collectible card games
Thanks, but no thanks.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28-12-2011, 22:12:47 »
I only have free stuff on mine (ZTE Blade, got it last christmas for 114€ + 2€/month for 2 years for unlimited max speed internet):
Air Control Lite - Guide planes into runways. May sound meh but it's alot of fun.
aDownloader - Free torrent client
aTilt 3D Labyrinth - Once you disable the 3D bit it's a great balance-the-ball game, with LOTS of levels.
Battery Notifier - Shows the % of battery left as an icon, also plays a sound every x minutes if battery level is below y. I recorded the lowbat sound of my ancient nokia, works well :)
Classic Simon - Remember the game from Speden Spelit with the machine that has 4 buttons (red, green, yellow, blue) and you have to remember the order it plays them in? It's that.
Easy Installer - To install apps as apk's (aka not in the market)
ES File Explorer - Allows you to copy/paste stuff on your phone, or to/from shared folder on LAN or to/from ftp.
ES Task Manager - Quickly and easily close any apps that are running. aka ctrl+alt+del.
Mahjong - If you're into it.
Minesweeper Classic - Need I say more?
MixZing Basic - MP3 player, I picked this one after testing a few ones out. The playlist creation is a bit weird but it was the only mp3 player I found that could automatically create a playlist with all my songs sorted by album.
MoboPlayer - Plays pretty much any video format.
Moron Test: Section 1 - Lots of fun to watch friends play.
OliveOffice Premium - You can open, create, edit & save common office documents.
Opera Mini - It's so fast & works so quickly! The android browser easily makes my poor CPU cry, but I can have 13 tabs open in Opera, no problem.
OsmAnd - Completely free GPS/maps/navigation with offline maps. It's nowhere near as fast as other map apps, but it's the only one I found that's free, has offline maps and has a search. Also navigation but don't trust on it. Absolutely awesome app when abroad.
Retro Radio - Can play streamed music, aka net radio.
Reversi Free - It's Reversi.
Scrambled Net - A very nice little puzzle game, I recommend you try it.
Solitaire - Also includes Spider & FreeCell!
Stopwatch & Timer - Durr yeah. I use it for cooking all the time.
Sudoku Free - Generates a new one each time, in various difficulties.
Trillian - All your IM's in one!
Unblock Me Free - 600-900 levels of unblocking blocks. Very enjoyable on the train to school/work.
YLE Areena - You know. ps this allows you to view Finland only content even if abroad.

Wow that list got long fast.

If you want "proper" Nokia text message & low bat sounds, I can send you them ;)
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-12-2011, 22:12:08 »
also got a Galaxy S II

such a great phone with tons of customisation possibillities  ;D

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-12-2011, 23:12:33 »
also got a Galaxy S II

such a great phone with tons of customisation possibillities  ;D
Got LauncherPro, just need to actually learn how to use it... any tips on other ways to customize the layour etc? Does a launcher have pretty much all I need or are there any other apps you'd recommend? :)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-12-2011, 09:12:05 »
Wow that list got long fast.
+1 interwebz for you

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-12-2011, 11:12:08 »
Protip: Disable background data (Settings>Accounts & sync). Apps can still use the net if they need to, but none of the hidden android stuff will. Raised my battery life from <24h to 5 days.

Also setting the net to edge only, no 3G when you're don't need the speed will increase battery life dramatically as well.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-12-2011, 15:12:37 »
Also setting the net to edge only, no 3G when you're don't need the speed will increase battery life dramatically as well.
Switch3G was the first app I downloaded ;) Learned already with my old N76 to enforce GSM at all times and manually turning on 3G only for interwebz (I can copy all the Nokia sounds from this if I want to, but thank you anyway ;) ).

Still undecided whether to root it or not. Apparently some Google Maps Navigation unlocks would not seem to require rooting, and that's basically the only use I could find for rooting at the moment (since Android will out-of-the-box run "unsigned" software, unlike iOS).

Also, browsing the Android Market, was kinda disappointed. 95% of the games seem to be just as simplistic as the first cellphone games (or computer/console games from VIC-20/Atari 2600 era), and they are drowning out the "real" games that would take advantage of modern hardware.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #14 on: 06-01-2012, 14:01:59 »
I have had a HTC Sensation since July and I'm really satisfied with it. Really like Samsungs Galaxy S2s as well I might add, would have bought one if my old Samsung X480 hadn't died on me on Midsummers Eve.

For you who don't know what phone the X480 was I can tell you that it was the best phone ever in my book. I had mine for about 6 years!

I can still miss it sometimes. So good, simple and small.

Anyhow, when it comes to Android and apps and such I'm no expert. I'm a n00b in fact I must say. I have had the phone for about 6 months now and I really like it but the only apps I use are...

Advanced Task Killer
- I really like this one, when you have a lot of apps and stuff running a lot of them usually stay in background and continue being active and also take energy from the battery. With this little app you can start it, kill all these apps with one click and you can even choose what apps to close if you dont want to close all of them. I use it all the time.

AndroIRC
- Perfect for using IRC on my phone when I need it, not that often but works great when I want to.

Angry Birds
- No comments needed.

Bankdroid
- I haven't set this app up yet but I have heard great stuff from a friend at work and he also showed it to me. You can link your bank with this app so can you see all your accounts and even do adjustments and else you want to do with your Internet Bank.

Black Jack 2011
- Perfect if you like card games like me. I love Black Jack and this perfect training without losing money.

Call Meter NG
Wanna know how much you have called for this month, how many text messages and how much of your Internet you have used? Many operators have an own app for that but if they don't this app is GREAT.

You can go in and set this, start with the bill cycle of your invoice from your operator. Then you can set the fee's depending on what costs you got on your bill plan for your phone. Those two very last parts is very important so you don't get wrong information from the app later on.

It's a great app anyhow, perfect if you wanna know what you are doing and how much you call and so on.

It can show months but also in longer terms as well.

Evernote
- Haven't got a chance to use this baby get but everybody at my work is telling me to use it. Apparently some fancy notepad/calender thing that helps you remember stuff and does it nice and simple and effective. Will give a shout again when I have tried it more.

IMDB
- No comments needed.

Net Counter
- Same as Call Meter but only for Internet traffic, shows Total, Monthly, weekly and also daily. Only today I have used 15,35MB. Odd.

LiveScore
- There's a million of these apps but this one I use, it's good and nice to use but there can surely be better apps out there as well.

Wordfeud
- No comments needed