Author Topic: Draw Muhammad Day (Thoughts)  (Read 4530 times)

Offline nephros

• View Profile
Re: Draw Muhammad Day (Thoughts)
« Reply #75 on: 23-05-2010, 20:05:10 »
It's all on topic since the basic issue is freedom of speech vs. respect for religious differences.

To address this original question directly however, the answer is simple:

1) Death threats should be prosecuted, and should not be tolerated.
2) Drawing pictures of mohammed, both in the original south park and this follow up business should be treated like any hate group literature- legally tolerated to preserve freedom of speech, but shameful and counterproductive.

I would argue that while death threats clearly cross the boundaries of freedom of speech, drawing these pictures violates the spirit of freedom of speech because it's only purpose is to encroach on someone else's life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, which is exactly what freedom of speech is intended to protect.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #76 on: 23-05-2010, 20:05:53 »
I drew a picture of Muhammad, blessings and peace be on his name.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 23-05-2010, 20:05:04 »
Freedom of speech > all

Atleast, in theory. One should be able to say anything, but one shouldn't want to exercise that right.
Why not? Because seeking confrontation whenever you can, purposefully offending people for no other reason then to piss them off is just sad. Being an absolut jerk leaves you with very few friends. Yes you should be able to speak your mind, and make your opinion known in whatever way you feel like, but chanches are that you're stepping on other peoples toes and commiting acts of hatred and discrimination.

Freedom of speech is not a card-blanche to engage into discriminating speech (hate speech).

If part of their religion states that you can't draw muhammad, you KNOW it's going to piss them off.
Actually, like with many religions/world view there are various denominations. Sunni, Shia etc. Not all of them forbid his depiction.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 23-05-2010, 22:05:14 »
It's all on topic since the basic issue is freedom of speech vs. respect for religious differences.

To address this original question directly however, the answer is simple:

1) Death threats should be prosecuted, and should not be tolerated.
2) Drawing pictures of mohammed, both in the original south park and this follow up business should be treated like any hate group literature- legally tolerated to preserve freedom of speech, but shameful and counterproductive.

I would argue that while death threats clearly cross the boundaries of freedom of speech, drawing these pictures violates the spirit of freedom of speech because it's only purpose is to encroach on someone else's life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, which is exactly what freedom of speech is intended to protect.

If you make a joke, it might be for other reasons than only "encroach on someone else's life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Mostly jokes are made to laugh. All jokes consider an "attack" on a group of people. If its blind people, americans, swedish,homosexuals, people with cancer or whatever. Why should it be allowed to joke about anything except muhammed? Either its allowed to make jokes about other groups of people, or it should not. We cant have an apartheid society where some groups are immune against jokes, while others arent. To agree with the muslim extremists and deny people to draw muhammed, is synonymous with accepting threats of murder as a normal way of getting your will in the society. I cant see how you call someone who draw a drawing for an "absolute jerk", but a guy who is willing to kill other for jokes, is not.

Offline MvB_1988

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 23-05-2010, 23:05:43 »
This goes further then using microsoft paint...

Below is a link to a 6 min clip of a BBC show where a presentor picks the dutch comedian Hans Teeuwen up from Heatrow to give him a ride to his hotel. During the drive they chat. Hans hits the nail on the head in this debate about free speech vs religion. And it is very funny clip. A lot of communities (especcialy the dutch) should be offended by this clip if they where like the muslim community...
Enjoy

http://www.llewtube.com/
The Moon is opposing Jupiter. Don't get involved, it's their problem.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 23-05-2010, 23:05:39 »
« Last Edit: 23-05-2010, 23:05:53 by Natty »

Offline nephros

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 23-05-2010, 23:05:21 »

If you make a joke, it might be for other reasons than only "encroach on someone else's life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Mostly jokes are made to laugh. All jokes consider an "attack" on a group of people. If its blind people, americans, swedish,homosexuals, people with cancer or whatever. Why should it be allowed to joke about anything except muhammed? Either its allowed to make jokes about other groups of people, or it should not. We cant have an apartheid society where some groups are immune against jokes, while others arent. To agree with the muslim extremists and deny people to draw muhammed, is synonymous with accepting threats of murder as a normal way of getting your will in the society. I cant see how you call someone who draw a drawing for an "absolute jerk", but a guy who is willing to kill other for jokes, is not.

1) I'm talking about 'Draw a picture of Mohammed Day' which is not a joke. It's sole purpose is to demonstrate the innaliable right to shit on the muslim faith without repercussion  - and therefore no different from the actions of hate groups like the Klan or aryan nation. I don't deny people the right to participate, I just consider it a dickhead move.
2) You're right, I didn't call those calling for murder "absolute jerks" - I called them criminals who should be tried in court
3) Many people complaining about muslim extremists are ignoring the large group of Muslims who this may make angry but who just deal with it. Is it fair to them? Is it good for building peaceful interfaith and interculture relations?

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 24-05-2010, 00:05:29 »
This goes further then using microsoft paint...

Below is a link to a 6 min clip of a BBC show where a presentor picks the dutch comedian Hans Teeuwen up from Heatrow to give him a ride to his hotel. During the drive they chat. Hans hits the nail on the head in this debate about free speech vs religion. And it is very funny clip. A lot of communities (especcialy the dutch) should be offended by this clip if they where like the muslim community...
Enjoy

Errr... why especially the Dutch?  As it's a Dutchy commenting on his perspective of the Dutch and international society rather then him critising an other culture.  Perhaps a more correct sentence would also be "That some people in (some) communities should be offended like some muslims".  ;)

And yes you should be able to joke about anything, critisize anything, say anything. But it may not be very smart depending on the context and especially the intend behind the act. With humour the room for tolerance is often a lot bigger then when throwing out blunt statements.  You might get a lot of people laughing with some controversial racial/sexual/religious comment and get punished in the face if you said that same thing randomly in the streets.

Offline Dnarag1M

• WoT Team
  • Forgotten Hope Alliance
    • View Profile
    • mah website
« Reply #83 on: 25-05-2010, 19:05:11 »

Enjoy

It's bloody 26 minutes! (But very brilliant, a must watch for everyone to see :D so full of crazy funny stuff :D)