Author Topic: Individual movement (Nerf the spiders!)  (Read 893 times)

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
Individual movement (Nerf the spiders!)
« on: 04-02-2018, 03:02:17 »
Hello!

1. One of the first things I noticed while playing FH2 is that everyone has unlimited stamina and therefore has the ability to run maraton distances with full gear. On top of that one can jump like a rabbit infinitely. So my suggestion is to add a bit of stamina touch to the game. Maybe not like in PR where you run to the other end of the building and then have to wait 2 mins before crossing the street because your batteries are being rechaged. But at least a little restriction won't hurt IMO.

2. Limit the strafe ability because... eh it looks a bit ridicolous when someone misses his shot and then proceeds to dance left and right like a crab preparing for attack. After all, humans have only 2 legs and are not able to move to the sides in such manner. We are not spiders. I don't want strafing to be removed, just nurfed a little (altough even I exploit it in its current state). I think PR did it well... hell, even in BF1 you can't dance around like a spider.

I believe that these changes will make the gameplay a bit more tactical and fun.

P.S I tried going left and right with .22 rifle to see how ridicolous is this IRL. The results were rather hilarious and look nothing like strafing in-game.
« Last Edit: 04-02-2018, 03:02:31 by Dancho »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Individual movement (Nerf the spiders!)
« Reply #1 on: 04-02-2018, 09:02:29 »
are you new? if yes, search button is your friend  ;)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-02-2018, 16:02:54 »
The "crabwalk' strafing is an artifact of animating in the BF2 engine.  Not too much can be done with that without serious animators to work for the mod, and even then might not be able to stop it.

As for stamina, FH2 USED to have stamina, and it was a pain in the ass for all when you'd be trying to run from cover to cover but would suddenly, magically slow down as if your life suddenly didn't matter all that much, or would get hung up on a little rock or box and be unable to jump over it, or, if able to jump an obstacle, would be unable to run after it.  It was not a very good, realistic, fluid combat situation.  Yeah, running is tiring irl, but know what else sucks?  Being shot.  If a soldier has to run, they run regardless of how tired they are, and definitely do not randomly slow down in the middle of running to cover.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-02-2018, 17:02:38 »
Hehe, I'm pro stamina, but the discussion has been held several times, to no avail for the pro-stamina party ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-02-2018, 17:02:30 »
One of the better arguments against a stamina system is how hard it can be to run around some areas of a map without jumping. The BF2 engine is just not that good with col meshes and moving around obstacles so you routinely have to jump to get around even minor things like wood planks etc... it was more of a nightmare moving around Fall of Tobruk when there was a stamina system and removing it was a good idea imo.

Also, it fits FHs faster paced gameplay style and I appreciate it on maps like El Al or Vossenack when my teammates leave me out in the open without any transport.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-02-2018, 18:02:41 »
One of the better arguments against a stamina system is how hard it can be to run around some areas of a map without jumping. The BF2 engine is just not that good with col meshes and moving around obstacles so you routinely have to jump to get around even minor things like wood planks etc... it was more of a nightmare moving around Fall of Tobruk when there was a stamina system and removing it was a good idea imo.

Also, it fits FHs faster paced gameplay style and I appreciate it on maps like El Al or Vossenack when my teammates leave me out in the open without any transport.

This.  Combined with the realism of "no, a soldier is not going to stop running at break-neck speed to get out of a killing zone just because he's tired", stamina was removed from the game for solid reasons.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-02-2018, 19:02:35 »
Don’t forget that current „sprint” is more of a jog than an actual sprint. Especially when you compare FH2’s running speed to a speed of a running soldier in more fast paced games like new BF titles or COD series. Running speed was lowered significantly (by 20% IIRC?) together with stamina bar removal in 2.4 or 2.45 version? I don’t even remember it was years ago.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-02-2018, 21:02:59 »
One of the better arguments against a stamina system is how hard it can be to run around some areas of a map without jumping.
Yeah, back then there were many maps which had this problem, but recently maps have been made with better colmeshes and planks and stuff were put on maps without a colmesh to begin with. A lot of the buggy colmeshes were fixed.

@ Mudra: no, ofc not, but the cool thing is with stamina that the intention was to make players think about their running before they acted, so they would NOT be out of stamina in the open, and instead time it so that they would be out of stamina when in cover again, for example on the otehr side of a street. And since I like to use my brain from time to time, even when playing a game, I'm sad that it was removed because of 1-2 maps on which there was trouble with jumping over stuff. And of course the whole bunny hopping thing got reintroduced by taking stamina out.

But yeah, I know I'm talking to a wall and everyone wants to keep it like it is now, so I'll just have some nostalgia thoughts about way back when there was stamina ;)

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-02-2018, 03:02:05 »
Ok, I can live without the stamina thing, no need to argue anymore. What annoyes me more is the "crabwalk" but seems like it'll be dificult to remove.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-02-2018, 06:02:15 »
I think there is some acceleration that can be tweaked in the files or soldiers that defines how fast the soldier reaches his top speed. I haven't lurked in those files for quite a while though

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál