Author Topic: FH 2.3 SP known errors & bot erronous behavior  (Read 14021 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: FH 2.3 SP known errors & bot erronous behavior
« Reply #15 on: 03-10-2010, 15:10:35 »
Ramelle is not meant to be played 50:50. Captain Millers strategy was too good for ze German attackers, and their stupid Tiger TKs alot. I set it to 24:40 bots and the Germans got to the Bridge even though I was American! It plays fine

You do need to work around increasing bots size or changing numbers as the case may be. Download the functional FH Toolkit to set bot count easily and remember, if the bots are set to 64, you need to push the total number ingame to 48 (The very limit of the toggle) and set the ratio to 64 to restore a 50:50, the same is for all numbers you want. 100 bots means, set the total bot count ingame to 48, set the ratio to 100, 96 bots, 96 ration, so on and so forth.... Easy peasy!

Current Errors Detected:
1/ US 105mm howitzer on Cobra uses the Conquest model not the _AI, noticeable by a normal level, rather than raised POV

2/ I think the CTD in Totalize comes from the Wasp. It otherwise plays EXACTLY like it always did, including the buggy Canuck commander telling you to attack across the river after the only a half-ass attempt at the factory, completely forgetting the PAK40, ack-ack and 88 base. I played till we had made about 1 or 2 attempts at that base then I went looking for the new toy. Tried to get a bot to use the flamethrower and he bailed almost instantly. I tried it got a whoosh, then right after the first burst, CTD... might be a coincidence, but it seems like a likely perp

3/Villers... Yes the tanks did NOT cross the ABC line. Wespe did not fire at anything, or did maybe once. I guess its code is that of the marder? The tanks get to the ABC and halt there, as though not sure of themselves, trying then coming back a bit. Halftrrucks don't seem to have this issue

4/ It seems the nebelwerfer uses the old code that makes it fire short. I noted that in Goodwood it fired at infantry which I was impressed at until I realised it was trying to fire at 2 Shermans beyond them, but firing short. Didn't get it to fire in Totalize to compare (My friends PC can only do 64bots before it lags, so not all defenses were manned for me to get the full picture)

5/ Mareth, PeB and Totalize still have dodgy commander AI. Wa-ay better than older maps, but the logic of the attack plan is a bit iffy and only just within the allowable spread of the PUsh system. In mareth bots wait straight for the bunker base with little effort to take the town and then went on for the Tiger base and it all become a scrambled mess after that

6/Parker's .30cal in the church tower on Ramelle does NOT CTD but there is no way for bots to get to it :-( unlike with Sidi Rezegh :-)

7/Quad .50 only works as anti-personelle gun and not AA... It doesn't look up at all

8/ Bots have an issue of sitting on mg positions on vehicles such as the hull gun or turret gun and don't switch positions to drive the otherwise empty tank etc off... might need to rebalance their preference for positions - They also  bail from trucks at random times sometimes getting themselves TKed, might need to play around with this to prevent them camping, but getting them to travel to the flag in it.

Also, some mg positions are not very liked. Can't think of one offhead though. i know wasps flamethrower is one. Tanks have too 'soft' a main position. I saw a good many abondoned tanks. Might need to work on it being closer to that of the static gun, but not quite there

9/ I had a PAK40 on mareth firing HE at my medium tank, and never AP, not sure if that's just a coincidence, or its got its shell priorities wrong

10/Comp. B has the c4 issue again i.e bots drop them defensively causing TKs - Noted this on Ramelle

11/ The planes crashing into each other on Ramelle - are so many supposed to fly by at the same time, or its the bug?

12/ No love for the mobile ack-ack?

13/ Still need to somehow see how we can get AT guns to want to go prone more often. I want them to camp prone, sniping infantry and tanks alike. This I'll make a fan-mod priority

14/ Now that bots have a lowered hip-fire 3rd person animation, we need to see if we can get them to fire down the sights at range only using hip fire at close range i.e when you get a bot firing at you at point blannk range rather than using knife

15/ I think mobile mortar still needs raise perspective. On maps like Brest and St. Lo, breaking through to cap the final base would only have been possible IF we had concealed close-support arty in the form of deployed mortars, which we could not get as the open terrain made them vulnerable to attack from great range and concealing them nullifies their use. We should try to get the 2 POVs (normal for players, raised for bots) implemented also, so we can get mobile arillery to use something between the assault gun for mobility and thw howitzer with raised POV for range

16/ Tanks get a tad too distracted by aircrafts. I think we should stop them using their hull mg to fire at those altogether. They lose focus

17/ We have an increasing number of double-cap flags i.e flags that are capped by one side, but still show the other side's flag and this causes bots to camp it. Noted on Cobra's mill flag, no longer the farm (Or so it seems), and Ramelle Neuville's first flag if they get too much resistance

However,

1/ Love the speed of firing i.e reasonable but generally enough to suppress a human, even with rifles

2/ Bots like mortars, mg42 more, which is a welcome improvement

3/ Range of mgs is EXCELLENT. on St Lo and from distant tanks, this is beautiful

4/ infantry don't spam greandes or rifle grenades but use them well

5/ The new maps play incredibly well. Ramelle is tricky for tanks, but that keeps them at par with infantry and shouls be left exactly so. Never did get to cross the bridge though, zook wielding bots and BAR men are too many. Want to see if kit limiting can somehow be applied to, or at least emulated by bot preference.

6/ I'm so grateful for bots being able to use almost every, if not every single building humans can - Even saw bots trying to climb a ladder into a barn of St. Lo from which I was firng. My men spawned on me and jumped down :-)

7/ Range of arty is functional. I'm not sure extending it further would make it a rapefest, but will need to play more to see. For now, as seen on St. Lo and Mareth, it works WELL

8/ For the first time, a new Ai Patch did not introduce new unseemly problems like is the SNAFU of former AI in past patches. New weapons all work well, the new system did not bring new bugs, and it goes without saying that there must have been round the clock work to make such things happen  

9/ 88 fires HE as far as AP and with its inaccuracy makes for a really fun objective each time me and a few bots need to charge one to put it out of action without air or armor support :-)

10/ Smoke use seems to have been reduced. So its done once and left. Its so nice to see it in use but not dominate bot priority

11/ Spawnpoint mgs are excellent, and it seems so you DID move the cap area for Sidi underground. Great work there. For the first time ever, Supercharge was not spammy with radio commands, the Germans put up a tough defense each way, even counter-attacking a good many times, the new howitzers position makes it more useful like in CQ and the bunker next to the 88s is a terrific defense to attack thanks to both mgs being priority

12/ Fixing commander Issues really solves a good many problems. I didn't see camping tanks in El Alamein, Supercharge or any of those, and the battle flows for all maps!

11/ Remick, you did an excellent work moving Drawde's mod into the release. i feared you having to cut it apart might mean key aspects would be lost, but its clear you actually improved on the final version.. ALOT. Great work man. I think even the ignorant conquest players are impressed :-D

12/ We have only Falaise and Lebisey without AI... Falaise works fine with  Aserafimovs's current version although I wish the bots would cross the river at more points, and Lebisey, we've heard already has AI, just not in yet. It was a sheer joy to scroll though the maps, knowing every SINGLE one has Ai now. No small feat! I plugged my own 64-size Bardia in. That also has limited AI. Great to see PDH 32 in too... Still have craxy ideas about bots driving to the hills and assaulting the hill defenses etc on PDH 64, but let me make that a practical and complete thought ;-)

« Last Edit: 03-10-2010, 16:10:14 by djinn »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03-10-2010, 17:10:37 »
Operation Totalizes' crash I believe is an AIpathfinding issue, which I thought I fixed. Try playing in windows mode and let me know if you get an error.

Still working on this Remick04, I love the bot's massive improvement, you guys are awesome. They are no longer brainless & clumsy, they now really know how to use the tool quite well.

Port en Bessin's StrategicArea files are not the ones I made that do follow the push order, last minute changes were made to the map and my StrategicArea files got overwritten. Actually there are a couple of maps with a similar situation.

Yeah, i found several maps with this issue as well. The commander AI send their troops to the wrong flags. But the issues are minor as i notice that only half of the squad of the team were sent to the wrong flag, and the rest were sent to the correct ones. In some maps, the commander AI will split the team into three different attack orders.

The real problem with Port-en-Bessin is because we have to attack the Germans bases at the far right and left corner before actually going to the port itself. The game really stops here.

I'm not sure was up with Villers for you aserafimov, unless your SP files for the map are interfering with 2.3's, Because I've never seen that problem before. If anyone else experiences this problem let me know.

I get the problem as well. Have never installed aserafimov's file for Villers-Bocage, just the Falaise Pocket. The problem is only with vehicles, the soldier bots can find their way out easily.

And I tested the 30.cal in the bell tower on Ramelle last night and had no crash so I'm hoping it was just a fluke for one person.

Yes, me too. the .30 cal in the bell tower of Ramelle-Neuville is perfectly fine for me. The map runs smoothly for me, except a few bot behavior issues.

2/ I think the CTD in Totalize comes from the Wasp. It otherwise plays EXACTLY like it always did, including the buggy Canuck commander telling you to attack across the river after the only a half-ass attempt at the factory, completely forgetting the PAK40, ack-ack and 88 base. I played till we had made about 1 or 2 attempts at that base then I went looking for the new toy. Tried to get a bot to use the flamethrower and he bailed almost instantly. I tried it got a whoosh, then right after the first burst, CTD... might be a coincidence, but it seems like a likely perp

The Wespe doesn't really crash the game. In Villers-Bocage at least, it doesn't CTD the map. I'll try to remove them from the GamePlayObjects.con file to see if it really affects anything.
« Last Edit: 03-10-2010, 17:10:25 by ZooMotorpool »

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03-10-2010, 19:10:57 »
I tried Villers last night and noted the same problems you’re all reporting. It seems a bunch of new Hedgerows were added to the map that weren't there when I navmeshed it, so bots are getting stuck on them. I’m debating whether I want to re-navmesh it or try and edit the mesh I have now. Not sure which would take less time.

I've seen bots using the Waspe on Totalize even firing the flame thrower when assaulting a position. But it is rare, it's not one of their favorite vehicles.

I know the Terrain on Ramelle isn't exactly bot friendly... made worse by the fact that there were changes made to the terrain after I had navmeshed it. I did my best to correct and fix things, but its hard working on adding bot support to a map that is still under development because changes are still being made. And ultimately I'd rather have the vehicles in there even if bots aren't great with them, then have an infantry only map. I'm working on fixing the fly over problem, I may have a fix for you guys to help me test.

Keep the feedback coming, I'll do what I can to address as much of it as I can. Hopefully Drawde can clean some of the AI stuff up for me, and I'll focus on fixing map specific issues.

Offline gijas04

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03-10-2010, 21:10:28 »

You do need to work around increasing bots size or changing numbers as the case may be. Download the functional FH Toolkit to set bot count easily and remember, if the bots are set to 64, you need to push the total number ingame to 48 (The very limit of the toggle) and set the ratio to 64 to restore a 50:50, the same is for all numbers you want. 100 bots means, set the total bot count ingame to 48, set the ratio to 100, 96 bots, 96 ration, so on and so forth.... Easy peasy!

The Toolkit in FH2 2.3 doesn't work for me and I get a error. Where can I download a functional FH2 Toolkit from? I think I understand the bot ratio tips you described but if I have say, 48 bots and set the ratio to 50/50 then I check the number of bots in-game and they are correct which is 24/24 on each side plus one for me. I edited the aidefault file and increased the numbers to 40 for number of bots as suggested. I did this in older versions of FH2 as well. I like that you can also increase the Bots skill level there. I set mine to 0.90 because I think 1.0 would be to hard for me.

« Last Edit: 03-10-2010, 21:10:36 by gijas04 »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03-10-2010, 22:10:21 »
No, the one I'm refering to is in the DL Sticky of the Singleplayer section of the forum. Goto http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=6539.0 and find the DL there

I could've given you the direct link, but I want SPers to get used to the DL sticky for maps and fixes as they come along

Just replace the toolbox you have with the one at the link. The only other DLs you need in addition are Falaise Pocket, Bardia and Aserafimiv's Lebisey infantry and maybe, his Villers, Bocage. remeber to backup whatever you are replacing in case you need to restore it or get an error ;-)

Offline gijas04

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04-10-2010, 00:10:59 »

Just replace the toolbox you have with the one at the link. The only other DLs you need in addition are Falaise Pocket, Bardia and Aserafimiv's Lebisey infantry and maybe, his Villers, Bocage.

I Downloaded the FH2 Toolbox file from the link but I still get this error when clicking on the FH2 Toolbox.exe in the FH2 Toolbox folder: Run-time error '339: Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid?

Also, there are two final versions of Lebisey and Villers, Bocage maps on the second page of the link you gave me. Do I want to download the push mode versions on the first page or these final versions?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04-10-2010, 01:10:44 »
Well, for Villers, you might actually want to look at the thread of the same name. Not sure if cF updated the DL links, but that one would be the latest

For Lebisey, tbh, I'd say wait for Remick to release, unless you don't mind a 16 only size map. Not sure which is which for that one though - Read comments around each and see

Sorry I couldn't be more help here. Had my PC on fritz for a while so I'm kinda outta date

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04-10-2010, 04:10:20 »

Offline Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04-10-2010, 05:10:43 »
Hi,

Yes, me too. the .30 cal in the bell tower of Ramelle-Neuville is perfectly fine for me. The map runs smoothly for me, except a few bot behavior issues.

Hm, i noticed the problem with that mg too. when i try to use it, i get a CTD. I noticed another problem with an mg, on Port en Bessin. The mg in the church tower, if you use it, you get stuck and cant leav it. But i think this is just a map bug.
« Last Edit: 04-10-2010, 06:10:51 by Ghost »

Offline gijas04

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04-10-2010, 06:10:48 »
Hi,

I noticed another problem with an mg, on Port en Bessin. The mg in the church tower, if you use it, you get stuck and cant leav it. But i think this is just a map bug.

I second that bug. I was on the same MG near the church tower and was stuck there.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04-10-2010, 07:10:09 »
It seems every .30 cal and MG34 MG emplacement in Port-en-Bessin makes you stuck.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04-10-2010, 08:10:21 »
It seems every .30 cal and MG34 MG emplacement in Port-en-Bessin makes you stuck.

There are several stationary weapons,that have 2 versions..example
mg34_bipod & mg34_bipod_ai

the mg34_bipod_ai is coded to NOT allow exit,this is done to keep bots always on the weapon (they still can be killed)
ObjectTemplate.dontAllowExit 1

ideally these should mainly be used on the non human side

if you want these weapons exitable,on certain maps,open the GPO and change mg34_bipod_ai to mg34_bipod
or if you want them exitable from all maps,remove this line from all stationary weapons ending in _ai
ObjectTemplate.dontAllowExit 1

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04-10-2010, 10:10:42 »
that's wierd, I never knew there wasc _ai mgs too. I thought the values for not getting off them were simply set so bots 'liked them too much' but not in such a way that humans got stuck?!

Maybe Remick or Drawde might have to clarify this one. Because that will suck if you cannot use certain mgs because they are bots-only.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04-10-2010, 10:10:38 »

Maybe Remick or Drawde might have to clarify this one.

There is no need for anyone to clarify "this one"
I know what i am talking about

A human can always enter a vehicle or weapon which is occupied by a bot,regardless wether it does,or doesnt allow exiting

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04-10-2010, 11:10:52 »
Sorry, Devilman. Didn't intend to pull ranks. I just wanted to understadn 'why' they made it so is all. I can appreciate that humans can use the vehicle, but not being able to exit afterwards - I didn't know they made it so. I thought it was just bot values that made them stay on, as opposed to the gun making anyone on it get stuck