Author Topic: Mortar Relaod and Effects  (Read 15707 times)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
Re: Mortar Relaod and Effects
« Reply #30 on: 30-09-2010, 00:09:24 »
making the mortar overheat quickly would be a way to prevent the weapon from being overpowered.

And I do like the idea of having mortar batteries (multiple mortars), it save a player from manning those stupid mortars.

not to forget its 100% correct!

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30-09-2010, 01:09:52 »
Actually, I do think there is a better way handling mortars. Instead of being a 1-shot-then-reload weapon, it might function better if they use the same system as the machine guns.

A machine gun system has several advantages:

- it handles overheating better (just a guess)
- rpm easily adjusted, could have several firing modes as well.
- possibly remove the need of finding an ammo kit and dropping it, if it "reloads" like a, let's say lewis MG, kind of annoying if someone steal your ammo kit/can't find ammobox to reload your ammo kit.
- The overall reload time could be lengthened so spam is no longer possible. (let's say it takes 1.5 minute to refill 38 shells before you could shoot again) Nothing is as worse as a commander-dropped ammobox and 3 mortars firing together in leibsey. You just simply have endless bombardment. That is WAY MORE annoying.
- since people might not wait for 1.5 minute in a portable mortar, you could simply scale down the ammocount/overall reload rate, or make there a fire delay like the tanks.
- I think this also could allow a slightly larger deviation if fire rate is upped.
« Last Edit: 30-09-2010, 01:09:40 by General_Henry »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30-09-2010, 01:09:16 »
I gotta say, I fully agree with Gen Henry on this idea....

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30-09-2010, 03:09:41 »
Mortars REALLY need to have their reload speed upped.  This things fired as fast as you could drop rounds down the barrel, in FH2 they have the reload speed of a retarded person trying to shove the square peg in the round hole.

I can picture that!
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30-09-2010, 07:09:38 »
Did you guys read my suggested implementation? It has sped up firerate, settle time, deviation the faster you fire (i.e if you want each shot to land right in the pickle jar, you need to fire at current speed), and you can always add overheating to restrict how many fast-fired shots you can let go.

Read it, then we can be discussing ironing out the kinks, rather than finding weak alternative implementations. I for one would hate to hit a weapon 2 to fire faster, unlike switching tank shells, this one feels unatural that way

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30-09-2010, 08:09:21 »
Both your ideas have merit, but in the end its up to the devs ;)

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30-09-2010, 13:09:21 »
Suggestions ...

Yes and you dont have to remind us you have posted something since i can see your signature 3 times on every page asking to look at your suggestions.

You people also need to keep in mind that some people play daily. I mean from the afternoon till late in the evening.
How would this work out for them in public play? There are people who are making a really good use out of the mortars or howitzers or Leffe. They can keep a flag undefendable or pin half a team down in a certain area.
Artillery simply is effective enough, its just some people arnt really patient or good enough with with it.
For the faster reloading, yes it would be awsome and great, but this would work out horribly in public in my opinion. Think of fall of tobruk, peb, pdh, siege of giarabub, bardia. Boom, boom boom.. o shit Call of duty 2.. boom boom boom.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30-09-2010, 13:09:11 »
i will Allways be supporting artillery deviation! You have my axe!

I'd say 1 round per second with a heatmeter like the Mg's would be awesome and in my opinion might draw more spotters as they then know that artillery is a devestating weapon that can really make a barrage and stop an enemy assault or pin them down :)

+1 I especially like the over heat thing as mortars can overheat IRL as well.

Bit shorter reload time, deviation and overheat would make mortars so much cooler. Mortar could really use an update.
« Last Edit: 30-09-2010, 13:09:11 by Paavopesusieni »

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30-09-2010, 14:09:40 »
2.5-3 seconds reload would be superb

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30-09-2010, 14:09:11 »
i will Allways be supporting artillery deviation! You have my axe!

I'd say 1 round per second with a heatmeter like the Mg's would be awesome and in my opinion might draw more spotters as they then know that artillery is a devestating weapon that can really make a barrage and stop an enemy assault or pin them down :)

+1 I especially like the over heat thing as mortars can overheat IRL as well.

Bit shorter reload time, deviation and overheat would make mortars so much cooler. Mortar could really use an update.

All agreed except the deviation.
Let's not do this to "balance" things out. If I get a spot with a moving target I like to be able to adjust and not see my round miss because of some magical deviation.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30-09-2010, 14:09:49 »
i wouldnt say deviation is  something "magic" on a mortar, or even an artillery piece.. you know.. wind speed, directions, bla bla bla, bla bla bla

and even considering this is just a projectile Known to be not extremly accurate, and fired at the belived direction to the target
« Last Edit: 30-09-2010, 14:09:31 by Sn00x »

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30-09-2010, 15:09:21 »
Isn't it just a little odd that you can look at your mortar shots and think "oh noes I landed it on the left side of that wall, let me tweak it and yeah boom"  It's almost laser guided accurate.

Overheating is a great idea.  Dial in the coordinates, Fire off 5-6 shells or whatever and blanket an area.  Then have to wait 30 seconds or more to do it again.  But without some sort of spread, it doesn't make sense to increase the fire rate.  And the spread makes sense.  It's not a rifle.

Offline VanOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30-09-2010, 17:09:21 »
Sir, I salute not only your firm grasp of the jist of my original suggestion but, also you lego army warriors.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30-09-2010, 22:09:44 »
Yes for faster reaload! Yes for small spread.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30-09-2010, 22:09:10 »
Isn't it just a little odd that you can look at your mortar shots and think "oh noes I landed it on the left side of that wall, let me tweak it and yeah boom"  It's almost laser guided accurate.

Overheating is a great idea.  Dial in the coordinates, Fire off 5-6 shells or whatever and blanket an area.  Then have to wait 30 seconds or more to do it again.  But without some sort of spread, it doesn't make sense to increase the fire rate.  And the spread makes sense.  It's not a rifle.

My reply to Snoox got lost somehow, but since FH2 is also about things being scaled down, the laser guide accuracy, is more like adjustment due to feedback from spotters. 
A barrage to compensate for the deviation would be cool, but to overpowering. For me it doesn't rhyme with the FH2 feeling.  It feels more like a Commander asset or a whole new asset like the 105 MM battery in Seelow Heights.

Mortar should be one shot and you get to point where it should land, since we can't simulate all the radio chatter to and coordination between mortar loader, shooter and the spotter, it's the next best thing.
A bit faster reload time would be appreciated.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)