Author Topic: It was... beautiful  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
It was... beautiful
« on: 26-04-2009, 13:04:25 »
Yesterday on hslan, Crete 1941.
Beginning of the round, everybody boards the planes and after a short round over the ocean we approach the Island. Everybody (two planeloads) jumps at the northernmost "safe" landing zone... and survives. Two or three squadleaders and several riflemen on the ground, me included. Bosco, who was on the server at the time, wrote, probably in amazement: "Is that a bridgehead I'm seeing?"
It was the first really successful "standard" drop I have ever seen. Don't know what was different, perhaps the Stukas did a better job than usual or the brits agreed on letting us have a bridgehead to spice things up, but it was absolutely awesome.
Anybody who was also there?

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
Re: It was... beautiful
« Reply #1 on: 26-04-2009, 23:04:01 »
I was not there, but it sounds like a miracle happend.  ;)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #2 on: 26-04-2009, 23:04:12 »
This cannot be true

I won't believe it

Offline hslan.Faust

• View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #3 on: 27-04-2009, 00:04:38 »
well, crete is designed in a somewhat "special" style.

we should be happy that the map finally worked like intended even on the odd public server...
Was kümmern den Wolf die Flöhe!

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-04-2009, 00:04:25 »
I refuse to believe that. the bots on FH1 crete are more obedient, more organized than real-life idiots.

Offline hslan.Faust

• View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #5 on: 27-04-2009, 00:04:12 »
well, the original crete (the later one) was a masterpiece! one of my fav maps of the fh1 mod.

but its not comparable with the FH2 version, which is more than slightly differnt.
Was kümmern den Wolf die Flöhe!

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-04-2009, 08:04:21 »
I wasn't there, but from playing a round or two over the weekend I've noticed the game has improved. It's not boring to be either side any more...there has been some genuinely good firefights for the flags (particularly the monestary).

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #7 on: 27-04-2009, 11:04:41 »
I was there, I made it a personal mission to take out the bofors, I've even started to master the art of stukka dive bombing, flipping the plane over before you dive so you end up facing back to main base and not facing more bofors and at very 'stitting duck' low level. 
It's just a personal opinion, but I still think that 4 bofors at the airfield is too much, it's extremly hard to navigate through it all before you get hit by the hill 109 bofors as well - I know, I know the 109 has a job to strafe them, but it's rare that a compitent teamplaying 109 pilot is in the air, too often it's some queef who 'just has to fly that plane' and will TK everyone to get it.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #8 on: 27-04-2009, 13:04:54 »
Impossible :o the Brits were probably having a siesta at Suda Bay or something...
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-04-2009, 19:04:00 »
You gotta lay off the crack man... you be sayin' crazy things!

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-04-2009, 19:04:42 »
On a side note, I don't think FH2 Crete needs this kind of praise threads...unlike its ancestor

FH2 Crete is more balanced and "works" more often. Indeed, sometimes all Gods, their winds and thunders seem to be against the round, and the axis team and their rookie pilots can't place a paratrooper on ground for their lives but the porcentage of nice rounds with the tommies sweating for survival is way greater

FH1 Crete was "cool" and all that but 90% of the rounds were british troops yawning of boredom over their bofors, waiting for nothing a full round...been there done that

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-04-2009, 20:04:05 »

FH1 Crete was "cool" and all that but 90% of the rounds were british troops yawning of boredom over their bofors, waiting for nothing a full round...been there done that

It didn't change that much, did it? ;D
« Last Edit: 27-04-2009, 20:04:28 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-04-2009, 20:04:43 »
I totally love that map, it's just awesome. So much feeling when you jump out of the Ju-52 and see your mates getting shot by machine guns and bofors.

Offline Uberhauptstormfuhrer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-04-2009, 20:04:55 »

The only reason why this (maybe) happens less on FH2 crete is because of the squadleader system. It has nothing to do that FH2 crete is a better map. Its a lot better looking and i like the flag zones a lot more. But the core gameplay of the map: jumping out of the transport plane, supported by attack planes and succesfully  grabbing a flag, is worse on FH 2. Simply put, flying in FH1 was a lot more fun than now. In FH2 you must rely on tricks and cheap tactics to win the day. Surely that was not the point of the map?

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #14 on: 27-04-2009, 20:04:34 »
Lobo is right.  I've never played this map where the germans have failed to cap at least one flag (even for just a few seconds).  I'd say its certainly one of the best maps in the mod.

However, as to the firts post: the day I believe that that happened will be the day that Lobo and Megaraptor can agree on a political argument.