Author Topic: Realism?  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
Re: Realism?
« Reply #15 on: 21-04-2009, 17:04:12 »
The engine of BF2 brought some good things like more options with texturing (graphics) but also brought limitations as the engine is less flexible then the BF1942 engine.

I point out again and again that this is not true. BF2 engine is a lot more flexible, especially with python. It allowed us to make the artillery spotting system from scratch for example. Of course BF42 already had this system, but trying to implement an equally advanced system into BF42 would prove impossible. It certainly is flexible in different ways though, luckily BF42 was already made to our needs pretty much.

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21-04-2009, 18:04:28 »
I can't play PR longer than 10 min before I die of extreme boredom.

It tries so hard to be "realistic" that it ends up beeing unrealistic.

BF2 is not a simulator.

Example: It takes several minutes to get a jet up and going. And yet there is not a single button you can push in the cockpit. See what I mean by trying to transform a childish game like BF2 into a hardcore simulator?

FH2 has made BF2 as realistic as is possible. That's why it's so much fun.

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21-04-2009, 18:04:26 »
i KNOW
i deleted PR
I MUCH prefer this
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21-04-2009, 18:04:35 »
i KNOW
i deleted PR
I MUCH prefer this

And you spam like hell has frozen over.
Stop it please.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #19 on: 21-04-2009, 21:04:02 »
See what I mean by trying to transform a childish game like BF2 into a hardcore simulator?

FH2 has made BF2 as realistic as is possible. That's why it's so much fun.

post of the month! Tiny for President.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21-04-2009, 21:04:31 »
Feel free to make it your sig.  ;D

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21-04-2009, 22:04:37 »
i KNOW
i deleted PR
I MUCH prefer this

And you spam like hell has frozen over.
Stop it please.

what are you talking about  ???
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21-04-2009, 22:04:50 »

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22-04-2009, 00:04:27 »
I'd really like to say something.

I simply wish *certain* Fh2 fanboys on this forum would stop 'bashing' other mods. Honestly, god damnit (certain) people, I thought this forum was supposed to be a spam get-a-way?

There must be at least 4+ active threads in the past week that are an FH2 vs. PR deathmatch... or threads labeled "Realism!?".

Some of you have beaten the dead horse so bad, its not even a horse anymore. Man, its like you've beat the horse so badly its become little pieces and you are mulching the garden with it!  ::)

Offline bakehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22-04-2009, 01:04:05 »

I simply wish *certain* Fh2 fanboys on this forum would stop 'bashing' other mods. Honestly, god damnit (certain) people, I thought this forum was supposed to be a spam get-a-way?

There must be at least 4+ active threads in the past week that are an FH2 vs. PR deathmatch... or threads labeled "Realism!?".

Some of you have beaten the dead horse so bad, its not even a horse anymore. Man, its like you've beat the horse so badly its become little pieces and you are mulching the garden with it!  ::)

yer i have to agree here dont get me wrong i love!!!!!!!!! forgotten hope (both fh42 and fh2) but it is always ok once in a while to play pr just fro the heck of it. not to say like :OMG PR IS SO MUCH better..............cause its not......heres the situation.......... 2 different mods, 2 different goals, totaly different fanbase (well 95% different i play both ;D) lets just calm down, step back and turn around......................so i can runaway ;D mep mep.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
:) WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............its hell>>>>>>>>deal with it :)

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22-04-2009, 01:04:43 »

yer i have to agree here dont get me wrong i love!!!!!!!!! forgotten hope (both fh42 and fh2) but it is always ok once in a while to play pr just fro the heck of it. not to say like :OMG PR IS SO MUCH better..............cause its not......heres the situation.......... 2 different mods, 2 different goals, totaly different fanbase (well 95% different i play both ;D) lets just calm down, step back and turn around......................so i can runaway ;D mep mep.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Where do you get your crack?  </friendly sarcasm>

Offline bakehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22-04-2009, 01:04:30 »
i get it from flyboy fx on that little boat of his, the one in his sig he brings it form colombia lol
 ;D
:) WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............its hell>>>>>>>>deal with it :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22-04-2009, 02:04:10 »
The engine of BF2 brought some good things like more options with texturing (graphics) but also brought limitations as the engine is less flexible then the BF1942 engine.

I point out again and again that this is not true. BF2 engine is a lot more flexible, especially with python. It allowed us to make the artillery spotting system from scratch for example. Of course BF42 already had this system, but trying to implement an equally advanced system into BF42 would prove impossible. It certainly is flexible in different ways though, luckily BF42 was already made to our needs pretty much.

I still maintain that arty gunners should only see targets on the minimap if at all, and use a FH1 submarine-like perspective to move a target ring to positions on the map for fire missions, rather than actually see the spot on the ground. I cant' agree that the FH2 method is advanced.... Definitely not compared to FH1's which was cooler and more useful

I don't think we should bash PR. I personally think its a nice mod and I'm actually re-downloading it since my last copy got corrupted from yes, a lightening bolt hitting an electricity pole outside my house.

And truth be told there are some things FH could learn from PR... Implementation of a Manual for instance. But here is the rub, how would YOU all like it if you found out the PR fans were bashing FH2 on their forum site. I think some people here are just a bit too partisan about FH2 compared to anything else... Hell, even Crysis!

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22-04-2009, 02:04:29 »
 There is a manual and it has been in existence for a long time on Filefront.

Since it was first released, there have been some changes to the mod but I would think that it still has many relevant sections, especially for the new players who need a proper walkthrough on how to use artillery.
Visit,
http://forums.filefront.com/forgotten-hope-general-discussion/341191-fh2-manual-here.html

I think we shouled let people beat any dead horse they want. Since there's a new home now, it's great way to get your post count up by necroing old topics.

My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22-04-2009, 03:04:43 »

I still maintain that arty gunners should only see targets on the minimap if at all, and use a FH1 submarine-like perspective to move a target ring to positions on the map for fire missions, rather than actually see the spot on the ground. I cant' agree that the FH2 method is advanced.... Definitely not compared to FH1's which was cooler and more useful.

Overall I like FH2's system better, the lack of randomly having to fire to hone in on a target is nice and the dial system seems realistic and is immersive. That being said, I find that the view gunners get gives them too much control over where the shell lands, to the point that they can aim at individual infantrymen. I'm not a historian by any means, but I it seems neither realistic nor historically accurate for a howitzer to be firing specifically at a single soldier.

I'll admit that the system does work better for mortars than heavy guns in the targeting respect, though.