Author Topic: New commander option  (Read 3283 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: New commander option
« Reply #15 on: 20-02-2011, 17:02:31 »
Fixing how the commander works is on our to-do list (somewhere at the bottom).

Hmm I wonder what's at the top of it then...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20-02-2011, 18:02:38 »

We could tell you (from the little insight what testers get), but then we'd have to kill you. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21-02-2011, 00:02:47 »
Fixing how the commander works is on our to-do list (somewhere at the bottom).

Maus.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02-03-2011, 12:03:56 »
The commanders role is obsolete at the moment. Noone really cares for the chain of command, nor the speciall orders - except maybe for 1 or 2 dedicated teamplaying squads and their leaders. But they do most of the things a commander would order them to do anyway.

The real guidiance of the public crowd on a server is done by this 1 or 2 dedicated squads, which cap the flags. The majority of players on such maps - even if they are in squads - want to spawn where the action is. And this is what they do. So if one of the teamplaying squad caps a flag, they stay and defend it for a second, until some of the crowd has spawned there and set up a kind of "defense". This defense means that hese guys spawn on the flag and move for the most obvious direction, where the part of the other teams crowd comes from, which does a kind of the same. This happens until the 1 or 2 dedicated squads has capped the next flags and has guided the crowd to spawn at the front.
This is what we call gameplay and what the mappers did and thought about.

The commander, even in vBF, is actually not important factor of winning or losing a map. But in vBf he has atleast something more to do. He scans the map, spots enemies, give arty/UAV/transport support and communicates atleast with one or two squads. Another important thing is the possibility to watch the fight, as you can zoom in very close.

Of course a commander could have a very important role, as in his hands the information all accumulate, so he would be the guy, who has the view of everything. In vBF he communicates to the crowd, which just spawn and goes for the next flag, so not the dedicated teamplaying squads, via his spotting of enemies, he detects with his scanner or setting the UAV on the spot, where the action is going. Most people run headless to the direction, where the "ping" of the UAV comes from.

In FH2 this communication and the spotting of general enemy assaults and the most important assets of the enemy team needs to be done by voice or chat. As there are a lot of people, who just dont do that, the commander becomes obsolete even more, as he has no or little info to jugde the situation.

I dont want to critize the gameplay. The gameplay works, the way it is, very fine and nearly all maps play out very well, with a very good mapdesign. So the commander role is not needed.
But it would be nice, if the commander had some more options, to make an impact on the battle, without being boring.

Just some random thoughts about gameplay and commander.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02-03-2011, 16:03:49 »
Oberst, I like your analysis. Keep up with the feedback.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 02-03-2011, 17:03:03 »
Is this idea a way of simulating working out where the enemy artillery is so it can be bombarded ? This can be done by calculating based on direction and timing. This was a method used in Tobruk as documented in the book Tobruk by Chester Wilmot. Of course the trick is how that is translated into gameplay.

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02-03-2011, 17:03:02 »
Instead of giving the commander, which is kinda not usefull at all, new stuff, give the squadleaders more facilties.
This would increas the power of a squad even more, and new people would start to become squadleaders, because then they have more to do then just be mobilespawmpoints (which is not always true, at least I dont see myself as mobile spawmpoint! )
Stuff that would be worth thinking about:

Mortar attack, like the commander but called by the squadleaders. Limited for sure, and depending of the amount of the flags on a map.
Something to tell the people which weapon you wish from them to take.

Example: Your squadlist, and you can right klick on the names, and klick on the weapon sympol. When the player dies and  gets into the respawm window a red text should be there telling " Your squadleader would like to see you spawming with XYZ kit. To tell people what kit they should take, takes quite a lot of time and therefore the 10 sec. of respawm time might not work out.

Give the SL one handgrenade (maybe the new egg handgrenade for germans). Why: because moar nades are always better : :D

I would also love to set waypoints on the map. Now you just can put an attackmarker on the map, but this does not show where to go. I highly doubt that this is possible, but waypoints would make leading more easier.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02-03-2011, 17:03:43 »
Mortar attack, like the commander but called by the squadleaders. Limited for sure, and depending of the amount of the flags on a map.

Use the binoculars that every squadleader gets in his kit. :)

Something to tell the people which weapon you wish from them to take.
Use VoIP that is enabled on most servers or use the Squad Chat.

Give the SL one handgrenade (maybe the new egg handgrenade for germans). Why: because moar nades are always better : :D

Imo Smoke Nades are 10 times more usefull to a squad leader. Nothing helps to protect a storm on a flag more than a smoke nade.

I would also love to set waypoints on the map. Now you just can put an attackmarker on the map, but this does not show where to go. I highly doubt that this is possible, but waypoints would make leading more easier.

You can put 1 waypoint on the map with the move here command. Would be nice if there were like 3, but it helps, along with VoIP.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02-03-2011, 17:03:02 »

Use the binoculars that every squadleader gets in his kit.
Computer made arty strike has not the same strenght of a one man mortar.

I know voip is enabled, as I'm one that uses it all the time.
Handgrenade: in addition to a smoke grenade, like the italien SL kit

Offline Graf_Radetzky(CZ)

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02-03-2011, 18:03:15 »
I agree with Irish. On some maps isnt: 1. the commander table (thats shame) 2. human maned mortars.
Then, commander can be noob, etc.

Yes, the grenade, very succesfull as for italian SL, should be on rest IMO too.

Hm well that waypoint... i guess BF2 engine, as said....

Offline Vicious

• I belong to Naughty Club
  • Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02-03-2011, 18:03:23 »
Could double points be given to squads that follow orders? If they are to attack or defend a flag and they do it.

Or somehow take away points from squads that don't follow orders until a kick follows sort of like they TKd too many times.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.