Author Topic: FoxHole  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
Re: FoxHole
« Reply #15 on: 29-09-2009, 23:09:49 »
No, it's a close combat weapon.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30-09-2009, 00:09:03 »
Thats what u have the Digging tool for-..................for digging.............

It's for digging into your enemy's brain, not the ground.  ;D

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30-09-2009, 03:09:05 »
Thats what u have the Digging tool for-..................for digging.............

It's for digging into your enemy's brain, not the ground.  ;D

I actually tried that today.. quite fun.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30-09-2009, 10:09:50 »
I think its been discussed to death - IMPOSSIBLE

it pushes the engine to its limit and changes gameplay drastically.. sure in the Ardenne I would like foxholes etc, etc - But Natty once said, its about playing with the existing environment rather than creating your own.

Its not only a new architecture being employed, but a new philosohpy that has currently not been considered for FH2 gameplay, like destructible everytihng...

FH2 HAS fixed foxholes already.. or at least craters, more so than FH1... I think those are cool for the most part

Besides, it should take half a day to dig a proper foxhole... How much of the battle should be spent digging temporary cover?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30-09-2009, 12:09:01 »
Besides, it should take half a day to dig a proper foxhole... How much of the battle should be spent digging temporary cover?

lol, indeed. Would be silly to have "inflatable" foxhole, pull the string and 10sec later - voilá, a mansized foxhole  :D

Offline Rataxes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30-09-2009, 13:09:22 »

Then you are lazy, it takes under an hour to dig a pit that will cover one man. Providing you are in decent physical shape that is.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30-09-2009, 15:09:33 »
Physical shape aside, it also depends of the ground you are digging. Be it winter frost or rock underneath a layer of dirt then you aint getting anything done in an hour.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-09-2009, 19:09:18 »
Depends, you can do quite a lot even in frozen ground if death is falling from the sky.

And in the russian army, you had to be able to dig a two man foxhole in an hour that would completly cover your entire body.  If you couldn't, you were deemed "unpatriotic" and sent to the penal battalions.

But for all armies, yes, one hour at most to dig a foxhole for 1-2 men.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-09-2009, 19:09:00 »
haha lol, one hour for one man to dig a hole where a full grown human can fit?.. reality check 101 guys. have you done military service? have you built a fortification in the woods or dug a hole where a whole man can fit? by yourself? it takes several hours unless you dig in loose soil, which you wont find anywhere. rocks, twigs, etc... dont be kidding.. especially if you want stuff like logs for cover or stabilize, or build a roof with cammo etc..

one hour...  :-*
« Last Edit: 30-09-2009, 19:09:45 by Natty »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-09-2009, 19:09:15 »
Yes I've dug 6 foxholes during one excercise while the other guys from my company dug only one and they were in pairs! I always had rocks underneath my positions so I had to keep switching. This overall took me around 5 hours.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-09-2009, 21:09:04 »
ok, ok... a debatable topic... Basically, the time frame ingame wont be realistic, since I doubt people will want to spend anything over 5 minutes preparing their fox hole - And THAT is impossible in the real scale of things

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-09-2009, 22:09:42 »
Iwo Jima Starts

-Damnit squad leader, those Nambus are pwnin us! lets f0cking dig in

-Ok 3 hours and counting

I dont want this Feature, a mapper can add Trenches and foxholes where he wants.

Also, think about it, are you digging your Foxhole or your Grave?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-09-2009, 23:09:11 »
haha lol, one hour for one man to dig a hole where a full grown human can fit?.. reality check 101 guys. have you done military service? have you built a fortification in the woods or dug a hole where a whole man can fit? by yourself? it takes several hours unless you dig in loose soil, which you wont find anywhere. rocks, twigs, etc... dont be kidding.. especially if you want stuff like logs for cover or stabilize, or build a roof with cammo etc..

one hour...  :-*

I've done it a lot, and in soft dirt, hard dirt, rocky dirt.....  Hell, I once, with 7 others, built an entire trench line that  could fit about 15 people, along with a machine gun nest, rifle loop holes, and mortar pit, all in about 2 hours=/  It wasn't comfortable, but it def worked.
« Last Edit: 30-09-2009, 23:09:52 by VonMudra »

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01-10-2009, 02:10:23 »
Why? Should it also take several days to repair a nearly destroyed tank, or several minutes to rearm a plane or resupply a tank with new ammo?

Never understood this reasoning. See the same thing when I suggest planes should have limited fuel - everything else in the game, from map size to the time it takes to heal someone, is scaled-down, but then you suggest something new and then all of a sudden people think it has to work exactly as it does in reality if included.
« Last Edit: 01-10-2009, 02:10:07 by Safe-Keeper »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01-10-2009, 04:10:54 »
But Rearming a aircraft, repairing a tank is 100% needed.

creating your own foxhole is useless since the mapper placed many trenches for YOU.