Author Topic: Question about FH1 maps  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Question about FH1 maps
« on: 23-05-2009, 22:05:28 »
I was wondering how to transfer a map from FH1 over to FHE for my personal use. Im under the impression that since its for my personal use and will not be distrubuted or anything that I do not need to seek permission. If im wrong Ill seek the appropriate permission ASAP. But, my goal is to transfer some FH1 maps over to FHE so I can use FHE's effects and iron sights on more than 1 map. Any help is appreciated.

azreal

Re: Question about FH1 maps
« Reply #1 on: 23-05-2009, 23:05:46 »
FHE. Thats Forgotten Hope: Extended right?

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-05-2009, 23:05:26 »
Yeah Forgotten Hope: Extended, I should have specified.

azreal

« Reply #3 on: 24-05-2009, 05:05:38 »
Well I haven't worked on FH1 in a while, but I'll give it a shot.

Firstly, since FH:E is a minimod using FH1, you might be able to get lucky and just copy the map straight over into the FH:E maps folder. If not, try looking at the init.con file and compare that to those of the FH:E maps.

Perhaps Natty can help you out. He seems to remember more things about FH1 than I do.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-05-2009, 18:05:56 »
oh yea this is easy. as FHE is reading bf1942 > FH > FHE it will work straight away... Just run the map with debugger (bf1942_r.exe) and if it crashes you will see why... most likely it will be something with kits or weapons...

Btw; you dont need to copy the whole map, textures and stuff can be left in the FH folder, just make a copy of the map and delete all .dds and .tga files, Heightmap can also be removed....  Compare a FH bf42 vanilla map, like Operation Market Garden, look in FH and see what files are there.
This is the same thing

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-05-2009, 18:05:31 »
Okay well before I even posted this I did place a map into FHE just to see what happens and it didn't crash. But, it was just very buggy. The iron sights wouldn't work, and the screen was always a dark shade  like I had already been slighty wounded. Ill take a look at some of the map files and see what I need to change. Ill post an update later.

EDIT: Okay I noticed that FH:E changed the kits on the maps. What I did was take Faliase Pocket and place it into the levels folder of FH:E and modified the kits to be exactly like the FH:E kit layout of Point Du Hoc (The only map with US). So after loading I clicked 'ready' and it crashed. Also, the kit icons didn't show up, it was just grey boxes. Also I can't seem to find bf1942_r.exe. That will probably tell me what the issue is.
« Last Edit: 24-05-2009, 19:05:57 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-05-2009, 19:05:52 »
After getting the debug report, the reason my map crashed was because of the kits. Now after comparing FH:E's kits with FH's kits, FH:E removed the numbers on some of the kits.

For Example: FH kit = 3AssaultGarand
                  FH:E kit = AssaultGarand

I assume the nimber was removed to identify their new kits, no problem. But when I try to put a FH:E kit into Falaise Pocket, it says it cant find the kit. But if I put a FH kit in there it works but I dont have the ability of iron sights. Is there something in the map file that is directing the objects to be derived from FH and kinda excluding other locations?

For example in BF2 you can add custom objects to your map or mod by placing a 'ServerArchives.con' file in that directs it to that object. Is there something in the Falaise Pocket map that gives the map a path to the objects? If so I think I just need to change that so it include the objects and kits of FH:E.

I think im close so I really need help right now ive hit a wall.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-05-2009, 00:05:31 »
yes and it is even easier than in bf2

look in your init.con for the map, type somewhere: run Objects/Objects

then you create a folder called Objects and in that one a file called Objects.con

Your map will now read init, see "hey they want me to look in a folder called objects, and in there a file called objects.con

In objects.con, you then just add the folders of the kits you want to have it running (e.g. the FHE kits)

example of what the objects.con can look like (this is from a mappack map in FH1):

run FortificationMortarP\runner
run SpotterK98StukaP\runner
run RemoteStuka\runner
run SpotterStuka\runner
run 1CloseQuartersMp40PU\runner
run 3AssaultK98PU\runner

the /runner file can be named anything, I suggest you use one word, always... I always used the same name as the object I was running, others used runner, go, lol or whatever they felt like, it doesnt matter.

What matter is, that the filepath is consistent, so in this case, there would have to be a folder called FortificationMortarP and in that one a file called runner.con

runner.con looks like this in this case:

run objects which means the path continues with a file called Objects.con in this same folder

(NOTE: this is unneccessary! you dont need this, instead the above file (e.g. objects.con that said FortificationMortarP\runner could just as well have said FortificationMortarP\objects and run the objects.con immediately... this is two different ways of coding bf42.. some like to have a standard of always run Objects.con with an Objects.con file, others want a "trigger" like Runner.con to activate it)

anyway; regardless of what file you use to trigger/activate your last file, it will run it if the path is correct

ObjectTemplate.create Kit US_FortificationMortarP
ObjectTemplate.setType Assault
ObjectTemplate.setKitTeam 2
ObjectTemplate.geometry Kit_Mortar_m1
ObjectTemplate.setHasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.networkableInfo KitInfo
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate Us_Helmets
ObjectTemplate.setRandomGeometries 8
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate US_Hip_Pack
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate Chutedisabler

ObjectTemplate.setHealthBarIcon "Ingame/healthbar_empty_support_64x64.tga"
ObjectTemplate.setHealthBarFullIcon "Ingame/healthbar_full_support_64x64.tga"
ObjectTemplate.addWeaponIcon "Weapon/Icon_alliesKnife.tga"
ObjectTemplate.addWeaponIcon "Weapon/Icon_colt.tga"
ObjectTemplate.addWeaponIcon "Weapon/icon_Mortardeploy.tga"
ObjectTemplate.addWeaponIcon "Weapon/Icon_noicon"

ObjectTemplate.setKitIcon 5 "kits/Icon_support_allies_selected.tga"
ObjectTemplate.setKitName 5 "FORTIFICATION"
ObjectTemplate.setKitActiveName 5 "ACTIVE FORTIFICATION"      

rem *** The order is important, first the best weapons!
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate MortarDeploy
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate Colt
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate KnifeAllies

ObjectTemplate.aiTemplate  Assault

Sorry if I confuse you, but as long as there is filepath that starts at Init.con > etc etc it will find it for you.
Choose what is most simple for you, and what you feel is logical.
(Personally I always used like this: run FortificationMortarP/FortificationMortarP so I had the same name in the folder, and then the file immediately under that folder... no need for that extra "runner" file).

Good luck!

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-05-2009, 00:05:35 »
ok that was maybe bad explaining: here is a picture, make it like this.. skip runner if you want and run objects.con in that folder directly from your "main" objects.con

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-05-2009, 01:05:20 »
This is frustrating >:(

I added a Objects folder and in it I have all the kit folders along witha folder call 'Objects.con'

In the Objects.con I have

run RiflemanM1Garand/runner "etc, etc"

In each kit folder, I have a runner.con which says 'run objects'

I have the init.con changed for all the kits and now FH:E won't start. The BF1942 logo pops up, but then nothing runs. What does this mean?

EDIT:

Okay tried opening FH:E with the debugger anf got the following error

Module: IoFile
File: Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp
Line: 803

TBM: fel!

So idk what this means, but the only thing I changed is what I said above.

Maybe I also need to specify where to find the new weapons like bayonets?
« Last Edit: 27-05-2009, 01:05:42 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-05-2009, 13:05:23 »
This is frustrating >:(

I added a Objects folder and in it I have all the kit folders along witha folder call 'Objects.con'

I guess you mean a File named Objects.con....?

Objects (folder) > Objects.con (file, says run kit_name/runner etc) > kit_name (folder contains runner + the actual kit file e.g. kit_name.con) > runner.con (says run kit_name)

You know the kits have index? for example a certain kit that has index 0 must be the first kit in init.con...

If bayonets are in FHE it shouldn't be a problem, the mod doesnt need run files, it reads them automatically.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-05-2009, 22:05:42 »
yeah i meant file.. I did all of that. Ill double check all the kit index tonight and ill get back to you

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-05-2009, 22:05:22 »
btw index start with 0... so the first kit you have (the top one in the init) gets 0, 2nd kit gets 1, 3rd kit gets 2 etc etc... mayeb you knew this allready.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-05-2009, 03:05:57 »
Okay... can you tell me exactly where the kit index number is? I might be looking in the wrong spot. Also, in the 'runner.con' do you want it to say "run (kit name)" or do you want it to say like "run Objects" because the runner.con is in the same folder as the kit no if i just put the kit name I dont think it finds it.

azreal

« Reply #14 on: 28-05-2009, 03:05:19 »
Kit index is the slot in which that kit goes. For a better explanation see below. For FH1 its slightly different, but you get the idea. This t'was the best pic I could find.

« Last Edit: 28-05-2009, 03:05:19 by azreal »